Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Anyone got their "Trail Cycle Leader" or "Mountain Bike Leader" qualifications?
  • organic355
    Free Member

May go for it this summer. Just wondering if it is hard and what kind of opportunities it can open up?

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Got my TCL a couple of years ago, specifically so we could run a small biking club as part of our youth work. I didn’t find it too challenging, although I learnt a lot of good stuff and found the interaction with the instructor and other trainees a very positive experience

Did mine with Jules Fincham at CycleWild in Aviemore, and would recommend him if you’re in the area.

Trekster

details here

I did not find it hard but I could read maps and had a few other training type courses and qualis which made the course work easier

As for opportunities I have not gone looking but had had to turn down an opportunity to lead the Mabie Women on Wheels group on Sunday coming 🙄

I do quite a bit of volunteer stuff with local Go-Ride club and schools with cycling scotland

I work shifts making it possible to do stuff during on weekdays

+1 for Jules. Have done a course with him and our club use him when needed.

Other options are CTC and BC.
    You can do a level2 coaching course and then add on an mtb module.

All depends what you want to do and where, different areas have different needs.

I am aware of 3 or 4 “companies” set up to offer skills/guiding in my area but doubt if any of them make any money out of that alone.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

If you are an averageably capable MTBer, can navigate competently with a map and compass, and can do basic bike maintenance you will not find TCL a problem. MBL a bit tougher but by no means a stretch

Paceman
    Free Member

I’ve got the Mountain Bike Leader Award. Did it to cover me for running a MTB Club at the school I work in. We run approx 9-10 rides a year and a weekend residential to Wales.

The award gave me the necessary paperwork for this, but i’m not sure it would open up any opportunities outside work, other than perhaps youth work / club rides.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got their "Trail Cycle Leader" or "Mountain Bike Leader" qualifications?’ is closed to new replies.