Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone got Lake MX145 or MXZ303 boots?
  • kermit
    Free Member

Morning all,

I’m looking at buying one of the above. Specifically looking at Lake because I’ve got hobbit-shaped feet, so want their wide fit.

Question is, though, which ones to go for?

They will be used exclusively for commuting, which is 15 miles each way into London, and will be used in all weathers except when there’s ice on the roads.

What I’m not sure on from reviews is whether the MX145 will be warm enough in the middle of winter at temperatures just above freezing in the rain, or potentially below it in the dry.

Equally, whilst I’m sure the MXZ303s would be more than warm enough, would my feet absolutely boil at low double-digit temperatures in the rain?

From what I can see, the 145s can be had for around £100, whereas the 303s are around £165, so would prefer the 145s if they’re going to be warm enough, but it would only take 5 train commutes because it’s too cold for the boots and I would’ve been saving money with the 303s.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I can safely say the MX145s aren’t waterproof. I used mine for a road ride and within 35 minutes the water was seeping in. Returned to Halfords for a refund. Shame as I liked the subtle style of the boot, and I liked the sole.
    To add, I went for the wide fit as I read the Lakes come up narrow. I’m an E width (normal) and the boot was snug. A little tighter than my usual Northwave Artic boots.

kermit
    Free Member

Hmm.. That’s not good news about the width. 🙁

I’ve got a pair of standard width Lake MX237 shoes, and they’re absolutely wonderful so was hoping the same would carry over to the boots, but seemingly not.

I’ve also got a pair of Northwave Celsius boots, but they’re starting to wear out now, and although they’re wide enough, to get them wide enough I had to go up a size, which means I’ve got the cleats slammed right to the back of the shoe, and would still like to have them another 5-10mm further back if I could, so had been hoping I could avoid that with a pair of Lakes.

z1ppy

my 303’s are excellent, but they are a cold weather boot & I have found them a bit warm on “+” temp rides, unfortunately they don’t sound like what you need TBH

D0NK

Ive got the 303s, lovely cold weather boots, but apart from fine cold days not much for commuting IMO. Once wet they take an age to dry, for an hour or so morning and evening of commuting you want something quicker drying. I use some bog standard mtb shoes with overshoes when it’s wet/cold. Dry/warm enough for an hour or so and dry a hell of a lot quicker than any “waterproof”* boot.

But if you have a colder drier climate than round here ymmv

*none of them are waterproof

jonnyrockymountain

some lovely waterproof/warm and wide defrosters in the for sale section!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kermit
    Free Member

I used to use overshoes, but I have 80 sets of traffic lights on my commute into Central London, so with all of the clipping in and out, the bottoms were ending up completely trashed after just a couple of months. 🙁

Also, my Northwave boots have been waterproof enough for all my needs – I’m riding a CX bike with full mudguards which makes a huge difference to how much water hits the boots – so not overly worried there. The only reason for not getting more of them is that I can’t get the cleats far enough back to really be comfortable with them.

Sounds like the MX145s might be better than the MXZ303s though.

kermit
    Free Member

@jonny rocky, shame they’re not a 44!

Suggsey
    Free Member

I wear 303s in wide fit size 13s and they’re great, best boots for early spring, late autumn and all winter. Feet too hot, wear lighter weight socks! As they’re made from pittards leather they’re waterproof (with over trousers obviously) and as breathable as a normal pair of shoes made from pittards! The only thing you have to do is occasionally treat the uppers with beeswax paying attention to the stitching/seams to maintain their waterproofing.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got Lake MX145 or MXZ303 boots?’ is closed to new replies.