Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Anyone got an Osprey Raptor 14 pack?
  • orena45

Any good?

Think my Camelbak Mule might be nearing the end of it’s life, and quite like the look of the Osprey packs. Any comparison to the Mule would be good.

Ta

Milkie
    Free Member

Bought the Osprey Raptor 14 a month ago, to replace my Camelbak Mule.

Raptor is bigger, more comfy and doesn’t move around as much. Bladder is easier to fill.

Personally think its a damn good upgrade to the Mule. 😉

wwaswas

Just replaced a Mule with a Raptor 10 – seems to be about like for like in terms of capacity (maybe Osprey is slightly less)

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I have a Raptor 10 and 14
    Bought the 10 first as an everyday pack rather than long ride pack but found it just too small-I would say that it is about the same size as a mule-so bought the 14 aswell which is a bit bigger and I use it for 90% of rides.
    Having said that the real differnce is my butties dont get squashed!!!!!
    WOuld sell the 10 with an unused bladder if your intersted.
    Email in profile
    Cheers
    Steve

orena45

Cheers folks.

The Mule is fine for most rides but as you say, it’s a bit cramped if you want to carry some extra food or a waterproof for longer (or dodgy weather) rides. Sounds like the Raptor 14 is perfect!

Now, any good deals anywhere?!

doug_basqueMTB.com

I’ve just got one of the bigger non-bike specific Osprey’s and I’m really impressed with the quality and features. Mine’s not a bike specific one and doesn’t have any armour attachments but it’s a fantastic pack. Comfy and doesn’t move about at all. This is the one I’ve got: Osprey Escapist 25 Pack (my review)

spando
    Free Member

Yeh i have the Raptor 18, fantastic pack. Plenty big enough for longer trips and can be compressed right down for short sessions. I find the bladder to be excellent, no more wrestling a baby seal into the bladder compartment. With the stiff panel on the bladder it just slides right in.
    The compartments are very well thought out and useful, though I think at least one of the hip belt pockets should have a zip.
    The back panel is quite stiff and took me a few rides to get used to it, I now find it very comfy and secure.
    My pack has had a rough life and has stood up very well, I’m quite impressed how well it is made.
    I’m sure you will find the 14 a good buy.

spando
    Free Member

PS be aware that the magnetic bite valve clip which is very handy will inter fear with a compass 😯

sambob
    Free Member

Tried a 10 and really liked it, lots of useful features. If OP doesn’t want it I might be interested Fatgit, what size and colour is it?

rudedog
    Free Member

I’ve got the 18L – the compression straps make it really versatile and I use it for everything from trail centers, full days out and overnight bikepacking trips. Its a really well thought out piece of kit.

fatgit
    Free Member

Sambob
    It’s a Raptor 10 and it’s yellow.
    Have had an email off someone but still for sale
    Sorry for hijack-email me if interested
    Steve

jameso

I have the Raptor 10 and it’s the most faff-free bag I’ve owned, I really like it. Comfy, great bladder that means less swearing-while-at-the-sink and the just-right amount of pockets are in useful easy-access places. One of my fave buys of last year.

jimification
    Free Member

I’ve had a lot of Camelbaks of various sizes. I’ve had a Raptor 18 for a couple of years. It’s a very good pack. I use it for longer trips or in winter when lots of spare layers etc. are needed.

Cons:
    – It’s a bit heavier than it could be I reckon.
    – I’ve had two bladders leak (supposedly there was a faulty batch) both were replaced under warranty very quickly with no quibble.
    – The loops on the shoulder strap that guide the hose have come unravelled (not a big deal and I have used it a lot)
    – Hip belt pockets are pretty useless without a zip.

Pros:
    – Magnetic bite valve holder is very good
    – Pack expands and can hold a LOT.
    – Stiff backed bladder is much better for taking in and out.

Overall, though, it’s very good and I’d buy the same one again.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I’ve had a Raptor 14 for a year now. Very impressed with the pack and agree with everyones comments on here. Plenty big enough for all day rides. Compresses down for shorter outings. Lots of well thought out compartments. Very comfortable pack that’s weighted through the hip belts/straps and doesn’t move around a great deal when riding. The bladder is well designed with a stiff back and carry handle which makes filling, loading and unloading easy.

Osprey make decent packs and I’ll be buying another when this one eventually dies.

BadlyWiredDog

Been using a Raptor 10 for a while. Well made and generally comfortable. I like being able to slide the reservoir in and out even when the pack is crammed. The only thing I’d be wary of is that the stiffened bladder and generally stiffened back system very gradually rubbed a raw patch on my lower back through my top despite it being countoured to fit. I now cinch up the shoulder straps slightly more so it sits a little higher and doesn’t rub.

Edit: there’s also an Osprey called the Synchro, sort of a lighter, stripped down Raptor without the stiff back – don’t think it comes with a bladder fwiw – which might be an alternative, the one missing thing with that – or with the 15 anyway, is that there’s no compression ssytem, so contents can bang around it it’s part filled.

I’ve been using one of the new Haglöfs Gram lightweight packs – non bike specific – and that works well on a bike, though the full length back zip opening isn’t mud/wet grit friendly. The Escapist is very nice too and was designed to be bike specific.

I don’t know how any of them compare with a Camelbak as I’ve not used one. I don’t think the bite valve is as good as the Camelbak one, but the reservoir is slightly pressurised in use and that seems to up the flow enough that it works pretty well.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Berghaus freeflow 20 which is my everything – moon, sun, love.

Awesome if you are of the sweaty back variety. I also imagine, incorrectly perhaps, that the “bars” that create the space between my back and the backpack would protect me when I crash. I live on hope.

mmannerr

Check the fit before you buy, IME they fit a bit short and the capacity seems really small considering the volume specified by mfgr.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I have the Raptor 14, its a great pack. For me its about as big and heavy a pack as i would want to carry, i have never felt the need for more space on a whole day ride.

I do try and ride without anything on my back, the local trail centres its just a water bottle and a few slices of Soreen loaf and a few small tools in the saddlebag.

The mag holder is a great thing and the sold water storage works very well.

FOG

Im a fan of Osprey stuff and often use the wife’s talon smallish sac which sits much better on my back than my Camelback. New Talons have the lid lock so if you are not bothered about specific compartments they might be the way to go. Having said that by the time you have bought a bladder the Raptor will be as cheap. A riding buddy has a Raptor and he much prefers it to his previous C’back

orena45

Sounds like a sorted pack!

I saw that it comes in two sizes (S/M & M/L) and I’m inclined to go for the larger of the sizes simply for the bit of extra capacity. Any of you folks, about 5’8″ and slim build – if so, which one did you go for?

Also, the hip belt pockets are something I want in a new pack – sounds like they don’t have zips but how secure are they whilst out riding, and what sort of size are they/what can you fit in em?

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    It probably doesn’t help you much but I am 6 foot and have a M/L
    The hip belt pockets are useful to a degree but not very secure. I originally carried an allen key for my seatclamp but lost it quite quickly. Now only used to carry a few jelly babies or similar.
    Wouldn’t put anything of value in them. Not that big either.
    As said above would be good if they’d had a zip or similar.
    Cheers
    Steve

sambob
    Free Member

YGM Steve.

superfli
    Free Member

I put a snickers or chunky kitkat in my hip pockets. Perfect size, although I’d be well gutted if I lost one 🙂

Milkie
    Free Member

5’8″ tall & slim here, I have the large, it fits well. 😉

The side pockets are just about big enough for my small powershot camera. I wouldn’t put it in the hip pockets, as they don’t have zips. You could put a bit of elastic around the pocket to keep it secure.

sparkerfix

I have a couple of press studs sewn onto the tops of the hip pockets on my osprey pack. Works ok for stuff that ain’t too small.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got an Osprey Raptor 14 pack?’ is closed to new replies.