• This topic has 19 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone got an 09 Yeti AS-R w/ Carbon triangle and not snapped it?
  • kevin1911

I managed to persaude Jenson USA to sell me a Yeti AS-R at their bargain price, and I've almost finished building the bike up.

I've seen a few posts on various forums about people snapping their frames on the carbon rear triangle, and it's starting to make me a bit nervous. I'm not exactly an xc whippet, coming in at around 95kg. I've covered the entire rear end in copter tape to try avoid scratches weakening the weave.

Is it possible to ride one of these bikes without snapping them? Please let the consensus be 'yes'… 😕

m_t_b
    Free Member

"I've covered the entire rear end in copter tape to try avoid scratches weakening the weave."

do scratches weaken the weave? if this is the case my frame should be in the bin.

kevin1911

Dunno – but a few of the reports of frames snapping seem to have occured after minor crashes in which the rear end was scratched

kevin1911

Anyone?

MadCowKev
    Free Member

I'm 100kg and never snapped mine

bobbyspangles

i've snapped mine.

twice.

kevin1911

Bobby – where did yours snap? And was there any warning?

hora
    Free Member

95kg
    Cross country frame

Carbon rear end with stays that 'thin' as they approach the alu drop out plates..

Hmmmm

Jason
    Free Member

I am 90kg and managed to snap the front triangle on mine. TO be fair to Yeti they sorted it out very quickly.

trailertrash

Well, I have ridden my '07 AS-R (and it's the Super Light model) pretty hard and it's still very much in one piece, and yes it's scratched. I am merely 79.7kgs though 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Must be hard for manufacturers who really don't want to potentially put buyers off with a suggested rider weight limit versus those who will buy the frame but not necessarily ride it to its fullest anyway.

nonk
    Free Member

i have an asr and am on my third swingarm.
    however the one i have now is a fair bit different to the others and it seems fine.
    i think the one i have now is the one you will get from jenson.

DaveRambo

I've got an 09 ASR and it's been brilliant – no snapping here.

I'm 74kg and ride it like any other xc bike.

I put copter tape on the frame and places where the cables might rub.

Don't worry just get out and enjoy it.

ben
    Free Member

No problems with mine, it's had a pretty tough life too.

Oscar12

No problem here either
    75kg and given it a hard life for 18 months

StuE
    Free Member
    onewheelgood

@DaveRambo so you found this thread then? Defend the honour of the Yeti!

kevin1911

Thanks everyone – the consensus seems to be more positive than I had feared. Maybe this will give me the motivation to lose some of the beef… 😉

DaveRambo

You'll always hear more from people who've had problems.

StuE – that's an ASR5 that's cracked, interestingly at the point where the ASR 09 rear triangle is thinned out and designed to flex.

I hate the look of the new rear on the 5 and 7, the old one looks sculpted, lean and a work of art.

<tongue in cheek> Oh yes and as discussed on our ride on Sunday, if it's cracked you need to get some skills, lose some weight or both <\tongue in cheek>

DezB
    Free Member

Does seem to be a bit of a bloody lottery when it comes to buying carbon swing-armed Yetis… 😕

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got an 09 Yeti AS-R w/ Carbon triangle and not snapped it?’ is closed to new replies.