Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Anyone got a Volvo V50?
  • Harry_the_Spider

Wassit like to live with?

Need a family/bike load lugger. The Mighty Vectra is poorly again so I’m considering my options*. I quite like the look of the V50 and the Saab 93 estate.

*Frigging thing will probably only cost £100 to fix so this is a waste of time.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Skoda Superb? 😀

Only messing…very good friends of ours in Londinium had one as a company car. They’re not really into cars but they liked it so much, they bought the lease out when the owner was made redundant. I quite like them too. Can I have a ride if you get one?

Harry_the_Spider

Skoda? I’d rather blow a goat.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yes, I know. 🙂

petrieboy

is your vectra an estate? cant see anything else cutting the mustard if your used to that sort of space.

Harry_the_Spider

Hatchback, but it is still pretty massive.

TooTall
    Free Member

Great car (had a V50 D for 8 years from new) but not fo family / load. They are not huge inside, despite it being the most comfortable car I’ve owned. It is not in the same class as a Honda or even a Mondeo estate. I’d look at a Skoda or Mondeo if it were the main lugger for a family. The V50 is a ‘sportwagon’ – a good estate car for a single bloke who wants to lug stuff around.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I had a T5, it was quick and comfy, well equipped too but compared to my current accord it was tiny.
    You can fit 2 bikes in back with seats down but even that’s snug.

ac282

The V50 is based on the focus and actually has a smaller boot.

Harry_the_Spider

Thanks.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Have a V50 2.0 diesel. Just done 1200 miles in it this week. Does 50 mpg at a bit more that 69mph 😉
    Boot is ideal for a small dog in a cage carrier. Towbar on the back for the Thule bike carrier. Much more refined that the Focus’s I have had in the past.Parts are the same at the Focus. Just bought some rear pads for £30 Bosch ones. Long term ? hope it will do a few years with us and are very happy with it. Vectra has a bigger boot, so a V70 is probably a better comparable. Had an Accord CDTI estate before and roof space makes carrying stuff woeful. Also the Honda is just so, so boring to drive and a real boring thing. No feedback, power is mediocre, parts expensive and a very long car to park.

rickt
    Free Member

As said above, the V50’s are not massive, maybe a V70 would be the right size for you ? on the used pre 2008 market they cost around the same price.

What year you thinking ?? if you are going older, try and get a pre dpf one, ideally in sports spec if your going done the oil burner route.

The 2.4 petrol is not that quick and does like a drink if you go down the petrol route… but you have the option or the 1.8, 2/0 and T5..

I nearly purchased one and spent a lot of time looking into them.

Dont rule out a E46 or E39 touring… B6/B7 A4

Rick

tomhughes46

Test drove one. Sticking with my antique Fabia for now as it makes £££ sense.

Do not bother with the 1.6 DRIVe version unless going slowly and being told by angry lights to change up is appealing. On paper same power/torque as my Fabia but very slow. 135bhp diesel with SE or Lux package looks like to one to get?

timc
    Free Member

Have a Vauxhall, consider a Volvo, but wouldn’t have a soda ?

Rockape63
    Free Member

We’ve got a 58 sportwagon V50 which is my wife’s car mostly. It looks good with 18 in alloys which do firm up the ride and averages 38 mpg doing a lot of short local journeys. It feels quite quick too and has been reasonably reliable.

MrOvershoot

timc – Member

Have a Vauxhall, consider a Volvo, but wouldn’t have a soda ?

More like “Have a Vauxhall, but wouldn’t have a Skoda!!”

grantmccall63
    Free Member

Made a move from vectra to V50 last October. Great move and put Thule rack on top

Loads of space in back for all bike stuff and trips to the beach.

Will buy another Volvo

Harry_the_Spider

Have a Vauxhall, but wouldn’t have a Skoda!

I DON’T WANT A SKODA
    I DON’T WANT A SKODA
    I DON’T WANT A SKODA
    I DON’T WANT A SKODA
    I DON’T WANT A SKODA
    I DON’T WANT A SKODA

Get over it.

dannybgoode

But I don’t like Spam!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_eYSuPKP3Y[/video]

djglover
    Free Member

Small inside, tractor like engine on the 2.0D. Brilliant stereo. I changed mine for a Skoda ;-).

But seriously vauxhall over skoda sheesh…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Have you tried a Skoda?

In all honesty the Vectra is one of the cars that had me looking for the razor blade holder. It had no redeeming features.

If Skoda is off your list look at the Mondeo huge and decent with less of a constant Radiohead/morrisy soundtrack.

Coyote
    Free Member

Got a V50 Drive and I love it. Not massive but plenty of room for a family of 4. I have the 1.6D and whilst it won’t break any records it’s not as slow as some claim. Possibly the most comfortable car I have ever driven, important if you are doing distance regularly.

Harry_the_Spider

Have you tried a Skoda?

Yes. Many time. The seats give me backache. The seats in Audi A4s do too and I don’t want one of them either.

I DON’T WANT A SKODA
    I DON’T WANT AN AUDI

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

Some people just don’t get on with Skoda. When I purchased last december, on paper the Skoda was my favourite; but as soon as I sat in the driving seat it was NO. Can’t tell you specifically why. I do now regret buying a Vauxhall though 🙂

My mate has the 2.3 5cyl V50. comfy, safe (as long as you don’t let the nippy engine take control 😉 ) good for family days I guess but IMO It’s a compact package, not a bike car if you’re hoping for inside .. though adminittedly he was using it for carting around a double base and gig equipment; that’s more long ‘n’ narrow though then a bike though.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I really think you should try a Skoda. Maybe you’ve been putting the seats in the wrong position?

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

Go for the SAAB; it’s what I last had and I lust after one again! The only reason it got binned was a turbo went for the second time at 13 years old at 176k 7 days before xmas
    (EDIT On a very rainy day as I was out accelerating my mates Golf GTI – not racing mind – that’s dangerous)

Harry_the_Spider

I really think you should try a Skoda. Maybe you’ve been putting the seats in the wrong position?

I have a good idea where I would like to shove the seats. 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

so what about a mondeo?

(maybe a passat?)

Harry_the_Spider

Mondingo / Passat / Vectra looks the favourite.

I just fancied something a bit different.

grantmccall63
    Free Member

You should get something different. All these other ones you are considering are definitely not different and are essentially family cars. At least (to me) the Volvo has a bit of character. I have the 2.0 D sport and the trip to Glentress is a fantastic ride

pmc00per
    Free Member

I really liked my vectra. The handling left a lot to be desired (it would try and kill you on country roads with its floaty suspension) but the space was great and it was so comfortable.

bearnecessities

I’ve had a few Volvos. Great cars. Never a v50 though.

Have you thought about a skoda? They do a nice blue one.

Hope this helps.

pjm84
    Free Member

I have a V70 with the 1.6 Drive engine and agree with Coyote. I think this engine is a “gem” considering it size and I can achieve 50mpg plus. The engine needs to be driven within its torque band so driving it like petrol engine will make it feel sluggish.

I’ve had my car since Oct 2012 and have clocked up 16k miles since so the fuel saving makes sense. Average is around 45mpg compared to 30mpg for my old D5.

anagallis_arvensis

I’ve got a skoda I think you should get one too.
    Or maybe and Audi.

Harry_the_Spider

I really liked my Vectra… the space was great and it was so comfortable.

Shhh… me too, but don’t let the cool kids in the Czech VWs hear that.

MrOvershoot

TBH Harry I’ve never driven a Skoda, plenty of Vauhall’s though and all of the seats in them killed my back 🙁

Had a Mazda 6 estate for the last 6 years and its about spot on size wise for my needs, drives well & the seats suit me.

Bregante

Ive been looking at the saab 9-3 estate too (as you mention it in your o.p). Some serious bargains to be had on those, especially if you want a petrol one. Most of the problems ive read about seem to be with the 1.9td engine. A 2.0t would suit me down to the ground and you can get a 2008 model from around the 5k mark.

mmannerr

Yes. Many time. The seats give me backache. The seats in Audi A4s do too and I don’t want one of them either.

I DON’T WANT A SKODA
    I DON’T WANT AN AUDI
    Audi has optional sports seats available which are really excellent even for my blown back – all the demo cars we tried had them so I thought they standard equipment. The day when car was delivered it was quite a shock what the hell was wrong with seats and who had stolen all the adjustments. Standard seats are bearable but far from great.

RustySpanner

How about a nice FIAT?

Harry_the_Spider

Had a Fiat once.

I DON’T WANT A SKODA
    I DON’T WANT AN AUDI
    I DON’T WANT A FIAT

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a Volvo V50?’ is closed to new replies.