Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone got a Vauxhall Meriva?
  • steelfan
    Free Member

GF is thinking of replacing her Nissan Micra as is quite small for our camping trips and bike transport duties. It did a striling job getting to the Alps last year fully loaded with bikes and a roofbox but it’s really far too small. She has seen a Vauxhall Meriva (not the new shape) and is very interested in its load carrying capacity with the fully flat folding rear seats. Does anybody have one and what do you think of them?

bigG
    Free Member

I had one as a courtesy car a while back, it was quite possibly the worst handling, most uncomfortable car I’ve ever driven. As with most courtesy cars it was was the base model so perhaps one with better seats, engine etc would be a more comfortable drive.

I couldn’t find a comfortable driving position as I felt squashed in the car and I’m only 5’9″ on a good day.

I’d suggest taking it for a long test drive before parting with your hard earned in case you find the same as me.

Mackem

I’v got one, it’s great. It’s the 1.3 CDTi version. It’s fast enough for me. With the rear seats down flat I can get my bike in, lying sideways in without taking the anything off, frequently go camping and always end up taking far more than we really need as we cn fit plenty in.

So far, driven from Bilbao to Durham and back with no comfort issues at all.

The CD/radio on mine is crap, which is the only criticism I have of it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Got quite a few alternatives for bigger cars, especially if her old car is the new shape Micra, for they are tiny. Almost every car made is bigger.

Let’s see. Honda Jazz are cavernous inside for the car size and have fold flat seats. Then you’ve got stuff like the Ford Fusion – slightly higher body Fiesta, or the Peugot small estates like the 207SW. There’s also a new Ibiza estate which looks fab to me. Citroen Berlingos and the like are cheap and capacious, plus there are many other small cars with high bodies and large load areas.

woodsman
    Free Member

Some one I knew had one, get two bikes in on top of each other (sheet inbetween) without taking wheels off plus all the riding gear, luggage no probs. I thought it was a good vehicle for a mtb’r.

knottie8
    Free Member

they suffer a power steering issue where the steering looses its power asistance now and again. Very costly to repair but Vauxhall will cover the costs even on well out of warranty cars infact since start of pruction.. If you have paid for a repair like this (new steering column) ring vauxhall motors and complian. 100% of owners have had their money given back. Google the problem or visit bbc watch dog site.

steelfan
    Free Member

She is not keen on Peugots or the Fusion but quite likes the look of the Jazz. Will try and get a test drive in the Meriva and Jazz I think.

stumpy01

Had a 1.6 (I think) Meriva as a hire car and was quite impressed. Only had it for a few days so can’t really comment on too much, but it coped well with motorway & town driving.

Only slightly bad point for me was that the engine tended to run out of puff at motorway speeds which I put down to the fairly large frontal area. And to be honest, this wasn’t really a problem, just something I noticed.

bassman
    Free Member

Yep we have one 1.4 energy with the privicy windows, rear tinted.
    I drive a vectra sri and wifey Meriva.
    Cracking handy tool seats fold well out of the way and can carry a lot of kit in the back.
    Never had a problem on driving or seats nice easy car to drive.
    Radio CD player ok never had a problem on any of the Vauxhall range, used to be a ford man, just used to Vauxhall now .Only complaint is the service dealers are crap.good for the fun of trying to get service carried out.Much the Same with any Dealer now.
    As others suggest you try one, go to a dealer and borrow for a couple of days.
    Should be easy to arrange via Vauxhall website.
    Zaffira a good bit better but bigger.
    We find the Meriva ok with wife and 4 grandkids + mother in law, for the shopping outing, have not used it on a long journey longest is about 2.5 hrs.120 miles.
    Loves going to the local tip, easy to load unload.
    recomend any vehicle you try and have the privacy windows as it does stop people nosing into the car.

steelfan
    Free Member

Bassman- Do you find the 1.4 powerful enough?
    GF is pretty much set on getting one but not sure if its best to go for the 1.4 or 1.6.
    I like the privacy windows especially with bikes in the back.

bassman
    Free Member

hi steelfan
    As its petrol no problem so far,best to test drive both.For normal running I think the 1.4 ok
    Its an 07 plate

petrieboy

I’m a big vauxhall fan but you absolutely have to get a top spec one. Vauxhall must loose out on so many customers who have only experienced the ‘club’ spec cars as hire cars which are universally horrible. Top spec astras, vectras and with 16v CDTi engine are comfortable practical brisk and make a great used buy. Never going to be as good as an equiv ford, but for the money they make a lot of sense

dafunkphenomenon
    Free Member

Glad I read this thread. We had one (the ex still has it) but has been having steering problems with it. EPS light comes on at times and ignition has to be turned off and on to get rid of it. The steering is also very stiff to one side. Have to investigate that more

Apart from that, haha, I quite like it. Never had any bike stuff in but have had loads of match fishing gear in there. Roomy for 3 adults in back. Decent CD/mp3 player, blacked out windows. Was also pretty speedy, 1.7CDTI.
    It is a Design model which I think was the top one

steelfan
    Free Member

dafunkphenomenon- GF is now thinking of the design model also. I have been wondering myself about the 1.7CDTI.

I’ve also found an article about the steering problem you seem to have
    seems like it is a common problem.
    meriva steering fault

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a Vauxhall Meriva?’ is closed to new replies.