Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone got a stumpjumper 6 27.5 Fatty?
  • ash.addy
    Free Member

Anyone got a stumpjumper 6 27.5 Fatty?

Just wondered other peoples experiences before I pull the trigger.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I don’t have one but I demoed one.
    It’s a proper giggle and I really enjoyed riding it. It was particularly wet and it wasn’t brilliant on slippy mud but the grip on other surfaces was amazing- I got up a stone steps climb in the wet that I’ve never got up before on any bike in the wet.
    It’s a bit draggy on the ups but flew on the way down.
    On the back of the demo I converted by Transition Bandit 29er to 27.5+ just as an experiment and its still like that.
    Would I buy one-not sure!!! Maybe add one to the fleet but wouldn’t want it to be my only bike.
    Cheers
    Steve

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/6fattie-comp-carbon-a-mini-review

Hope this helps! Happy to answer any other questions you might have, though.

As an aside, had a go on one of these today;

Somewhere like BPW, this would be an absolute riot! Braaapbraaap your way up the hill rather than waiting for the bus, then smash it down the other side. Very impressive!

Anyway, back to the normal 6Fattie – I liked it. A lot. So much so that the demo one I rode may end up being an ex-demo in my bike fleet instead! 🙂

timmys

Do the Soec Fatties still come with silly narrow rims? My LBS said their demo bike was a hoot but at the pressures you’d want to run the tyres at, they were pretty much rolling off the rim when pushed at all.

ash.addy
    Free Member

Yep still got the narrow rims but if they last a year or so it’ll be ok. Getting positive vibes at the mo, the bike is also at a good price so might be very tempting.

sidders34
    Free Member

Yep. I’ve got the comp model. Takes a bit more effort to get up to speed but once there it carries loads more momentum. Grips brilliantly in the corners and going up compared to my old 26 stumpy and not as good in deep mud as it tries to follow existing ruts and floats a bit.

I’m a convert to plus size tyres. The narrow rims have never been a problem for me but I do run around 17 psi as I am a little on the chunky side!

tomhoward

They are rather good aren’t they flashy? (The one with the big downtube 😉 )

I’ve been banned from riding it with my riding mates 😳

OP, if there’s an option to not have the ground control tyre on the back I’d take it, any hint of anything other than dry dusty trails and it gives up…

rOcKeTdOg

Have a demo on the trek fuel EX plus first, I prefered the rear suspension to an fsr, much less bouncy feeling going up & that lovely bottomless feeling going down

Gilesey
    Free Member

I bought a 2016 comp carbon last month to replace an Anthem X. Wanted a change and this is definitely one! Weight was initially the biggest difference, but got used to it & ride a bit more relaxed now rather than pushing flat-out everywhere. For me it’s all about how much I’m enjoying the confidence that those tyres and extra suspension give. It’s a really, really fun bike to ride for the type of 2-3 hour loops I do. You can blether on about rider-not-bike and skill-compensators but the biggest difference for me is less fear and more fun at the sketchiest bits of trail.

The spesh discount on 2016 models is hard to see past. FWIW I bought from cyclestore for the extra 10% in accessories, who were excellent.

ash.addy
    Free Member

Cheers the twenty odd percent off at the mo is very attractive.

Gilesey
    Free Member

a few* posts about it on mtbr helped me decide.

*about 70 pages worth…

ash.addy
    Free Member

Just had a carpark ride on a large and at 5’10” it fitted really well, the cockpit seems quite short. I think its going to be a hoot.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a stumpjumper 6 27.5 Fatty?’ is closed to new replies.