Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Anyone got a Reilly Gradient
  • breninbeener

guys, ive been looking at a Gradient rather seriously. can you expand on the problem with the thru-axles?

does this affect the v2 too?

thanks

Ian

scud
    Free Member

I have the V2, the frame itself is a work of art and the forks are just plain carbon, but the axles are quite chunky and if not done up tight wheel can feel loose. So was looking to swap to aftermarket bolt thru ones, but was unsure of rear sizing..

johnnystorm

Yep, they’re a great bike!

Reilly Gradient Adventure Bike

philba
    Free Member

Like reggiegasket, I have fitted a bolt style thru axle on the rear of my V2. It’s the MTZoom product code T8 (MAXLE REAR THRU AXLE 12 X 142 X 1.75MM 39G) purchased via XC Racer.com with free shipping in the UK. I swapped because I just wasn’t happy with how tight the quick release had to be to be sure it didn’t go loose riding on rough terrain – it just didn’t feel right to me. Only one ride with this axle so far, but I don’t see why it there should be any issues. I have less of an issue with the front axle, so am holding off swapping it for the moment.
    As to the Gradient (V2, size L (I’m 6ft1in), Hunt wheels, SRAM Force 1 1X 42T – 10/42 / brakes, Shimano discs, Ritchey WCX Evomax, Hope BB, Panaracer GravelKing SK 38mm), I am really happy with this bike. At 9kg with pedals/cages it may not be the lightest, but it’s still surprisingly fast on the road and competent on gravel. The geometry and grippy tyres encourage you to pedal hard through corners and the supple ride means it comfortable on longer rides. I am very happy with the 1X as it gives all the gearing that I need where I live (anyway have a 38T ring in reserve) and facilitates cleaning and maintenance. The brakes are fine if noisy in the wet (I didn’t try to cure that yet). A great multi-purpose bike.

breninbeener

ok, that thru-axle looks a decent fix…shame it isnt sorted from the factory…

scud
    Free Member

Don’t let that put you off, it is an ace bike, did 200 mile road event on mine on sunday, so comfortable, then will put it’s off road tyres on for this weekend and it is great on bridleways and the like, riding it on road over carbon road bike every time and loving it off road.

scud
    Free Member

Any one know if this is the correct thru-axle for the front, i can see the rear above, but i have no idea what “Shimano Ethru” thread with 1.5m thread pitch is?

They don’t seem to do another 12mm x 100mm axle?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

MT Zoom do a front 12mm bolt thru. It has a 1.5mm thread pitch – the gap between each thread is 1.5mm.

E-THRU ROAD FRONT THRU AXLE 12mm X 100MM (axle)/118.5mm (length) X 1.5MM 27G (T5)

scud
    Free Member

is that the correct one for the Reilly though do you know, just never really heard of Shimano EThru standard?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I bought an mtb frame from him when he was at Enigma – must have been the first disk mount he’d ever done – it was on at about 10 degrees off parallel. If he’s buying in the dropouts with flat mounts built in I’d be more confident.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

is that the correct one for the Reilly though do you know

It’s the one I have on my Gradient fork, yes.

jimbopenguin
    Free Member

@reggiegasket – so does about 9kg for a large build with 1650g wheelset (Hunt 4Season Gravel) and 2x sound about right? Dumb question probably but is your 8.6kg inc or exc of tyres? Did you weigh your frame by any chance because Mark won’t divulge for some reason, although he’s been enormously helpful in all other regards and loved the demo ride.

Any more info on the axle niggles would be helpful.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a Reilly Gradient’ is closed to new replies.