Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Anyone got a PUSHED Fox Van r
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

what do you think – is it worth the £270? how does it perform in comparison to an RP23

Pieface before you making a snidey comment – remember i have got your helmet and gloves!!

Reason i want to move away from an rp23 is that as we approach winter i want a shock that is MINIMAL maintenance and also pretty safe from flyng rock damage

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Got one on my Gemini ROFL, it is very impressive. Ridden back to back with a mate's Bullit with a CCDB on it, it doesn't feel too shabby at all. Compared to the Manitou poop it replaced it is light-years better through braking bumps, very supple over small hits, great ramp up over big hits and when pedalling. Certainly minimum maintenance, set the pre-load to your preferred sag, tune the rebound, ride. Its as good as (but different to) the DHX Air 5.0 on my Prophet.

Denis99
    Free Member

Rolf
    I will be selling my Push'd Van R , just haven't got round to taking photo's etc.

are you interested? just been serviced by TFT as well.

200 x 57

grumm
    Free Member

What maintenance do you need to do to an RP23 then?

Vortexracing

I MIGHT be interested if rolf is'nt Denis

mail me if rlf doesn't want it please

Ta

Dave

racing_ralph
    Free Member

needs to be 200 x 50 🙁

grumm – air sleeve

racing_ralph
    Free Member

any more opinions before i order

cynic-al
    Free Member

"flying rock damage"?

W.

T.

F.

?.

Rob are you SH*TTING us?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

got lots of frame smacks in that area al

cynic-al
    Free Member

BUt your shock is WITHIN the frame no?

Am I seeing you at teh weekend?

GW
    Free Member

Got the tired old vanilla r coil on my old mini DH bike pushed and it's been a massive improvement, the bike only has 115mm travel but feels plenty for all the local DH tracks I ride. similar to what dusty said, it's very supple on small stuff and offers absolutely loads of grip, never feels out of it's depth when it gets rougher/faster, no longer blows through it's travel on G-outs and compressions is consistent throughout a 3min DH run (wasn't before). handles the biggest hits without feeling harsh and pedals very well.. it's the fastest bike out of corners on a DH track I've ever ridden and just begs to be pushed faster. so much so, I don't even ride my IH Sunday anymore.

is it worth £270? er.. that's entirely your call and also depends on what frame it's for and what use it's going to get. Have a good long think about what you want from the shock call TF and be entirely honest about your riding ability and what you ride before you have it pushed. TBH, if you don't actually know what you want, I'd just get the standard Van R and save £60.

spw3

Got one from TFT the other year. Seems fine but can't really see what all the fuss is about. Is it worth the xtra £270? Not really but it depends how well off you are I guess.

Lionheart
    Free Member

we have two, one on an Orange and one on 'sprog' James Mini DH (up for sale at the mo), both work very well, they are noticeably better, and I am told the bits inside them are harder wearing, last longer , I think we have noticed they keep smother between servicing.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

how long between service intervals?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Isn't the Van-R just a DHX with all the adjusters removed (it's still got the propedal valve, air chamber, etc etc), which would explain why it feels like a DHX?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I have a very old Van R that was pushed three years ago. After a little use, I switched to a pushed RP3 that gives 95% of the performance for much less weight and it now sits as a standby shock.

However, the van R's performance is better that the RP3 if you're just comparing performance.

For me, I'd not hesitate to get any rear shock pushed again, but it depends on why you want it done. As a heavy bloke on a long travel horst link bike, my shocks tend to wallow in the mid-stroke at the correct sag. Pushing them gets rid of this so my bike doesn't ride like a dog scraping its arse on the ground.

GW describes some of its behaviours very well, and I think he's right – If you don't know what you want, leave it till you do.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

no longer blows through it's travel on G-outs

doddy – is that you? WTF is a G-out??

GW
    Free Member

prk

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Grrr – come to mount it on my prophet and it only fits in the XC not FR position – kinda defeats the object!

Anyone got one on a prophet to let me have a squiz at how its mounted?

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Piggyback at the back?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

sorted now with judicious use of a file 🙂

Doug
    Free Member

Check the rear tyre doesnt hit seatpost under full compression when running a 200*57 in the FR position. Unlike running a 57mm shock in the XC position, the swingarm will be passed it's designed range of movement in the fully compressed position.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

who is using a 57mm stroke shock? Not me guv, mine is 200 x 50mm

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a PUSHED Fox Van r’ is closed to new replies.