Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anyone got a Nukeproof Mega 290 yet?
  • poey50
    Free Member

I’m wondering how the shock is working out after a couple of reviews are suggesting that the Debonair sleeve isn’t right for the bike.

Actually I’m mostly trying to fill in time before my frame comes at the end of May as no one will agree to put me into an induced coma to eliminate this intolerable wait. Bloody NHS!

poey50
    Free Member

Really? No one has one … ?

Northwind

Don’t think they’ve delivered to the public yet?

I had a demo on a Pro; it’s good, very good. It doesn’t feel as big as it is, which could be good or bad- I was a little disappointed by that. The shock didn’t feel awesome tbh but it wasn’t glaringly awful either- I’d expect to get more out of it with spacers etc. The rear nobby nic wasn’t very good, predictably, but that’s no big deal.

I know someone who’s ordered a Team but I don’t want to spoil their thunder. I already have an equivalently asskicking enduro 29er but I’m still a tad jealous 😆

toxicsoks
    Free Member
    poey50
    Free Member

Thanks Toxisoks … but I couldn’t see any way of contacting Rob in that article.

Kryton57

Just ask his dad.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

rob.mitchell@singletrackworld.com
    🙂

Kryton57

Or email Rob himself before Dad reveals his cover, as Toxicsoks suggests 8)

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Stop that, K57.
    😉

br
    Free Member

They must be out, saw a FB post of someone picking one up from Hardies Bikes in Melrose earlier this week.

Northwind

Ah, some sizes are out to shops, just not the size <redacted STW person> needs

breadcrumb

I had a demo ride on a Mega 290.

Felt like a big bike to me. Very long front end, I struggled to pop the front wheel up. Never felt stressed though.

bezlei

Took delivery of an XL 290 last week. So far test rides at Hopton, Marin and Penmachno trails. It is a fantastic bike. Yes it is big but I am nearly 6’5″ and it feels spot on. It is a replacement for my old faithful Mk 1 Nomad and it feels faster and more capable so far. Will be testing it on DH trails soon. I’ll be fitting a 200mm front rotor as the bike is a momentum machine and needs more braking power! I must say it pedals a lot better than I expected and it’s very nimble.

poey50
    Free Member

Bezlei – sounds good! I’m the same height as you and getting the XL frame. Did the shock come with a Debonair sleeve? How have you found the suspension?

bezlei

It came with the standard sleeve, not Debonair. One of the shop guys set the suspension up for me and it feels good, better than my Pushed Fox coil/36 Fork on the Nomad (admittedly those are about 5 years old now but well serviced). The 3 way switch on the shock does a great job of changing the feel, more pronounced than the Fox CTD (on my XC hardtail). I am getting a wider set of wheels for DH (Easton Heist) for that big grip profile and saving the Roams for trail riding. The Roams are so good I want to preserve them from wanton destruction.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

They’re updating the shock to a better tune on production bikes than the ones that went out on test apparently. Not sure when the new version will be available though.

poey50
    Free Member

Thanks Beziel – just to clarify do you mean standard sleeve or high volume sleeve (there are three possibilities including the Debonair, I believe)?

Hungry Monkey – where did you hear that?

Thanks guys.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Anyone else tried one? I’m thinking of getting one built up. Don’t think I would go for a complete bike as the wheels look a bit flimsy for a bike like this.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a Nukeproof Mega 290 yet?’ is closed to new replies.