Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone got a niner rip9? What's it like?
  • trusslebabes
    Free Member

As above really the time is coming where I am going to order a new frame and I really
    I’ve the niners, not sure what the rip is like just wondering really……… Some pics make It look very steep in front but is that the case or not?

bol

I had a RIP9 until recently. I really enjoyed it, and wouldn’t say it was steep by any means for a 29″ trail bike. Mine built up at about 29lbs as a large in a trail build. It was extremely smooth riding and actually too fast for my middle aged balls to cope with on descents. It was really easy to ride, but I always felt like I was a few seconds away from a trip to hospital. I sold it because I only used it on big trips which didn’t happen all that often, and so it funded a cross bike and some upgrades to my road bike instead.

trusslebabes
    Free Member

Thanks bol I do think they look fantastic, would try and get a demo one for a day I reckon. I’ve never had a full sus so maybe it’ll be a bit too much for me…..

bol

Probably not too much for you, but definitely better for bigger days out in the hills and bashing through rocks than xc. Certainly worth trying one if you can.

trusslebabes
    Free Member

Where did you get yours from bol?

twoniner
    Free Member

I built up a RIP 9 and had it for about 18 months. I had the 2010 frame in black. It was a cracking bike, relly fast and climbed really well. I found it very twitchy on the trails but it had a sharp head angle, I believe the 2011 and on frames have a slightly slacker angle.

I had 120mm talas forks on mine, a lot get away with 140mm forks and if I built another I would do that. I had the Stans Arch 29er rim and found they had a lot of flex, wish I had gone for the flow.

If you go for a tripple up front you would need to go for 42 tooth (middleburn) outer ring to stop chainsuck that you get with a 44.

A couple of pics of mine.

bol

I got mine direct from Jungle, but lots of LBSs can get them. Mine was a 2010 with a 120 fork too. As Twoniner says, more recent ones are a degree slacker, but I liked the flickability of the steepish head angle. I ran it 2×10 with 24/36 chainrings. Never had a problem with chain suck.

twoniner
    Free Member

I built mine on a whim, at the time I couldnt get a demo and jungle didnt have anything around. In the end I got mine from Chevin cycles in otley, cracking bunch!

I originally wanted the Hot Tamale (red) colour but I would have had a wait on my hands.

trusslebabes
    Free Member

Thanks fellas that’s really good stuff, nice looking bike that twoniner.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Try this link, I use it for all my Niner related stuff.

Niner forums on mtbr

twoniner
    Free Member

I used mtbr to research my niner build too. They talk utter sh!t on there but good to get a feel for the bike you want.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

I’ve had two, a 2010 and a 2012, can’t say I could feel any difference.

My only comparison was with a Giant Anthem 29er which I found far to head down and lively and was glad I went with the RIP but it is very much personal preference and I like riding down more than up.

For the last two years it’s been my only bike, I did have others but every time I went to the garage I came out with the Niner so I got shot of the them.

You feel like you’re part of a family, especially when Chris Sugai (Niner boss) comments on your bike on facebook and Steve Domahidy (the other boss and CVA suspension designer, now left unfortunately) personally answers your technical queries by email. Customer service is legendary and it’s deserved.

twoniner
    Free Member

Thats why I have also bought the AIR 9!

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

They ride uphill perfectly well but if someone’s offering a lift it’d be rude not to! 😆

twoniner
    Free Member

Mine with a mates RIP in Raw.

trusslebabes
    Free Member

I’ve decided that the rip9 is the one or me. Bought my forks today and will wait to pass my exams in next few weeks before ordering it. Just nee to pick a colour now 😀

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a niner rip9? What's it like?’ is closed to new replies.