Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anyone got a Kinesis Virsa Prestige
  • PJay
    Free Member

I'm seriously considering one of these frame but know very little about it. Does anyone have one and what do you think about it? I'm looking for something to do a mixture of on and off road riding and would be building it up around a 100mm fork (Rockshox Reba).

mtbmaff
    Free Member

I had one for a short while, the colour [green] was beautiful in the sunlight.

I bought it on a whim, having seen it in a review in MBUK. I built it up with Rebas and the usual mid range stuff.

Was quite light even with mid range stuff on, imagine you could build it up very light in ss guise. Very neat dropouts to run ss or geared.

Rode very nicely but I was a little concerned with seat tube sizing. The seatpost is 27.2mm and the seat clamp is 28.6mm that leaves a wall thickness of 0.7mm and its not reinforced around top. I was worried that I weigh 14stone and with my weight, I might cause some flaring issues?

Regards Matt.

PJay
    Free Member

Well I'm heavier than you, so that might be something to think about. What was the chainring clearance like? If I bought one I'd be building it up geared and my current ride has alarmingly little chainring clearance so I'm looking for a frame with more sensible clearance.

mtbmaff
    Free Member

I vaguely remember having a bit of a problem with chain line on initial set up, but I didn't have any problem with chainsuck in use.
    I would seriously consider the weight/seat tube issue. I tried 2 different seat clamps a Hope and an IRC both wouldn't fit with a 27.2mm post without you opening them up with a dremel.

My email is in profile.

Regards Matt.

PJay
    Free Member

Well, I'm glad that I asked, I can't afford to buy a frame that breaks. The seattube wall thickness on my 853 Inbred seemed pretty thin (the 30.mm clamp was noticably more tightly closed than on the DN6 one) but in fairness it's held up well, but the Virsa does sound thin.

They do look lovelly frames though, perhaps my first thought of a Genesis Altitude is a better bet. I'd be interested to hear other people's thought too though.

mtbmaff
    Free Member

PJay,

I've got a Genesis IO ss, that's a nice bike, really enjoying using it, need big tyres tho' with rigid forks!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a Kinesis Virsa Prestige’ is closed to new replies.