Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone got a Garmin Edge 500?
  • ghislainlambert
    Free Member

Thinking of getting a new toy. Anyone got one of the above or could recommend something similar? Are they worth the money or just a bit gimmicky?

DT78
    Free Member

I’m interested too, been on a ride with a chap who had a satmap active and from having a 5 minute play on it I was really impressed. Would like to know how the garmins compare.

JustGoRide
    Free Member

I have one on long term test from Garmin..

http://www.justgoride.co.uk/Content/Articles/ItemView.aspx?id=64

I have to admit that as a training aid and all round bike computer it is fantastic, small, compact and has some great features. It lives on my bike at the moment over my Edge 705, which comes out when I need to navigate around a route. The 500 is a great every day GPS, just not a great navigation aid! I’ll be sorry to see it go back! (Although its being replaced with an 800! 😈 )

mrchrispy

I want one, I already have a 705 and it was by far the best thing I ever bought for the bike (bar a decent set of wheels). I’m thinking to ‘baying the 705 and getting a 500. its a great bit of kit

doodlebug
    Free Member

ghislainlambert

I have one and would not do without it, stick it on your bike, no wires, no magnets, It will have all the data that you need, and if need be download onto your page on “Garmin connect”…..

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I have one. Big fan. Gives me everything I need and is easy to use. Don’t use it on the mtb though, just for roadie training.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What are the ones that go on your wrist like?

cheers_drive

I’ve got a 500. I need a more structured training program but so far it is brilliant for analysing rides, finding my weak points, and charting any improvements (or otherwise). Can also be used for basic navigation if you plot a route on Bikeroutetoaster and save it as a TCX file, drop it into the new folder on the 500 and use it as a course. It’s only a bread crumb route but does give turn by turn instructions. It’s great for trying new routes in areas you are familiar with, although having google maps on my phone is a good back up if I go off course and can’t find it again.
    Ultimately though it’s a training aid not a navigation aid. It’s a good price too if you compare it with some non GPS computers and HRMs.

splashdown
    Free Member

I’m uploading todays ride as I type 🙂
    An excellent training aid as well as being handy as a bike computer (if a little bit on the pricey side).
    Lets you know just how fast (or slow) you where going when crashing 😳
    Battery life is good, it picks up satellites reasonably quickly, has a solid mounting system for bars/stem and can be quickly swapped between bikes.

doodlebug
    Free Member

Don’t use it on the mtb though

I have always use my “500” for all three bikes – Get yourself spare mounts and use this to protect scratching of the units glass on your MTB :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6x-screen-protector-ultraclear-Garmin-edge-500-/170549713791?pt=UK_Mobiles_Accessories_RL&hash=item27b58e1b7f#ht_1883wt_1139

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a Garmin Edge 500?’ is closed to new replies.