Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • anyone got a canyon spectral 27.5 (2014 or 2015)? looking for rider feedback?
  • M6TTF
    Free Member

Inside leg? Only thing that seems significantly different is the length of the head tube to my trek. If you’re used to riding large, I’d go with your instinct

plyphon
    Free Member

I’d love a stealth but realistically need to keep to the budget of the 6.0 😈

also current week 20 on shipping of the 7 EX – damnnnn

canyonfan
    Free Member

First post on here for me so I thought I’d add my views.

I ordered a 2015 Spectral AL 6.0 at the end of September. It arrived a week early. Well packed. Loads of ‘stuff’ in the box to read and play with. The bare aluminium finish looks nice in a functional way. I’d have preferred black though.

Set up was dead easy. Canyon’s PPS suggested a medium but at 6ft (and after speaking to a chap at Canyon UK) I went with a large at it feels good.

No issues with the Float 32 up front. I’ve set it slightly over the fox recommended psi for my weight and so far, so good. The rear shock has been a bugger to get right. I was blowing through the travel easily. An email to Mojo got me buying a volume reducing kit and that seems to have done the trick. Bigger impacts don’t blow through the whole range.

However, I think the unit may also be leaking air or at least I’m losing air when removing the shock pump. Even after buying a two-stage pump that should prevent airloss I’m still losing 10-20 psi every time I check the unit. That’s weekly at the mo as I have a bad knee.

Not a massive issue but one I will ask Mojo to look at when it goes in for a service.

Other than that I can’t fault the bike. It’s far better at everything than I am. 😉

warpcow
    Free Member

However, I think the unit may also be leaking air or at least I’m losing air when removing the shock pump. Even after buying a two-stage pump that should prevent airloss I’m still losing 10-20 psi every time I check the unit. That’s weekly at the mo as I have a bad knee.

Totally normal. You ‘lose’ it everytime you reattach the pump because some of the air has to go into the pump to give you a reading on the gauge, effectively increasing the toal volume and dropping the pressure slightly.

jamesbeaumont
    Free Member

I ended up on a medium at 5′ 11″ and its bang on! Absolutely love it! Canyon fan – have you contacted Canyon? They’re extremely helpful!

plyphon
    Free Member

Can you pay at a canyon within the UK yet? I don’t want to get stung for an overseas fee on my CC…

jamesbeaumont
    Free Member

Yes you can – I had no fee

gfunkatron
    Free Member

I ordered the 7.0EX Stealth as soon as it was released and it arrived a week ago. 2 weeks early!!
    Haven’t ridden it in anger yet, too busy at work, but so far it feels great, just tweaking the riding position and shock pressures to find a sweet spot.

I nearly bought a 2014 model but glad I waited for the 2015 version with the longer front and centre and Pikes upfront. For the money I just couldn’t see anything to compare to the spec that it comes with.

Pic of it straight out of the box –

chiefgrooveguru

I like your forum name – we should start a band! 😉

jamesbeaumont
    Free Member

Gfunk – what pressure are you running your likes at? I have to agree- these bikes can’t be beaten for the price!

tom200

Anyone got a pic of the blue 29er?

plyphon
    Free Member

that looks dope in the black. wish i could stretch to the 7.

…maybe i can…

euans2
    Free Member

I’ve not long got a 2015 8EX

I’m 179cm tall and I went with a medium and i’m happy with the fit, the bike feels nice and maneuverable and it climbs very well, I was down at Glentress today and I managed to PR sections that I just couldn’t get close to my old bike, the bike holds it’s speed very well and is very easy to pedal.

gfunkatron
    Free Member

@chiefgrooveguru – we could give it a try Alex but all I could bring to the band would be some mediocre turntable skills! 🙂

Hopefully see you on a Stanmer ride soon. Need to get the stealth beast dirty.
    Greg

BoardinBob

Can you pay at a canyon within the UK yet? I don’t want to get stung for an overseas fee on my CC…

I bought mine from Germany and the transaction was in sterling with no cc fx charges.

gavjackson1984
    Free Member

Anyone know if the 2015 spectrals come tubeless or not?

skydragon
    Free Member

Quick update (Spectral AL6.0 delivered in May 2014)

– I replaced the Fox 32 140mm forks with Rockshox Pike 150mm, has made a massive difference for the better to the front end.
    – I added a medium sized volume reducer spacer in the Fox rear shock, which has improved rear end travel.
    – turned the stem upside down to lower the bars a bit
    – went tubeless
    – I’m replacing the pivot bearings this week, as the main pivot (down near bottom bracket) has started to develop some play. I’ve done 720 miles on the bike, mainly in wet and very gritty conditions, so aren’t too upset about having to do this.

boxxer7
    Free Member

I’m expecting my AL 8.0 EX to arrive tomorrow, I only ordered it last Saturday and it was posted on the Thursday!

euans2
    Free Member

gavjackson1984 – Member

Anyone know if the 2015 spectrals come tubeless or not?

They all come with tubes, you have to do the conversion, mines also came with tubeless valves.

gavjackson1984
    Free Member

Cheers, got to wait until March for my 7 ex 🙁

jamesbeaumont
    Free Member

Euan were your tubeless valves in the box with all the manuals etc?

euans2
    Free Member

James, yes they were in the bag with all the manuals and other spare parts

jamesbeaumont
    Free Member

That’s interesting as I’m sure mine didn’t come with those!

mrfullswing
    Free Member

Me & a friend are going to the London Bike show to specifically look at the 2015 Spectrals. I’m currently on a large Specialized Camber so really want to try a bike for size. I’m looking at the AL 8.0 EX in the polished silver 🙂 http://www.canyon.com/en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3558 Roll on the bike show in Feb!!

orena45

Those with the 2015 Spectral (7.0 EX ideally)…how are you getting on with it?

pieandrun
    Free Member

When do Canyon charge; is it on order or shipping? There’s a 7EX out there just waiting for my bank balance to hit the mark.

boxxer7
    Free Member

They take the money as soon as the bike is about to be dispatched so if it’s instock you’ll probably get a day or 2 before they debit your card.

brickwizard
    Free Member

I’m very tempted for one too but currently looking at week 24 for a stealth black medium, suppose It will be worth the wait, going to bite the bullet I think

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but I’m still dicking around trying to decide on an all day full suss.
    Anyone around Cheshire area running a Large?
    I don’t want a “short” bike, and don’t want to drop my cash on an expensive BMX.. 😕

M6TTF
    Free Member

yes, Ive got a large 7EX – emither me, you’re welcome to sling a leg over to get a feel for it

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Cheers M6TTF… I will.

ivagoc
    Free Member

Hi all, I’m expecting a NERVE AL 9.0 SL next week, i let you know my view asap.

mrfullswing
    Free Member

Had my Spectral 8.0 EX for about 3-4 months now and loving it. I’m 5-11 & have a medium and it feels just right for reach. Always up the FOD if anyone needs to look for sizing. Quite often have people look at it for that. Made a change this weekend that someone wanted to look at my bike for my Invisiframe!!

mrcoley
    Free Member

Had mine since febuary last yr in that time its had a cracked chainstay replaced under warranty. The seatstays bent had to pay for them after a huge argument that they wont let you buy removable parts they are reserved for warranty claims only they finally agreed that’s a stupid rule.Now the bike is back in Germany for inspection due to the frame cracking on the seat tube where the reverb routes through the frame, only noticed as the reverb had to be sent back to sram under warranty as the crack was hidden by a gromit. Needless to say what is a good bike for the money there is a reason for that in my eyes I will be cutting my losses when it comes back and selling the frame on had enough tbh

adz46
    Free Member

Hi,
    I got my Spectral 7.0 in October last year. I had issues with Canyon from the start with the ship date getting put back and back and back. Ok it was a new model, but it was 6 weeks late in the end.

I’m 178cm tall and 80kg, the PPS put me at a medium. I have a medium road bike and a large XC bike (Merida HFS) and the fit is good. I’ve never been uncomfortable even on long trail centre days in Wales. Sometimes I do think a Large would have given me a bit more room, but unless I spot a large that I can try i’ll never know 🙂

Issues
    Canyon customer service is hit and miss.
    I got great CS from them when the chain guide wore out on one side only after less than 800 miles. A replacement one was sent out in under a week.

Recently the rear shock squirted at me on a climb. I spoke to Canyon on their live chat and they said to send in an e-mail. Which I did. 3 days later I got a response and they wanted me to send the shock back to them so they could send it to the service centre.

In the meantime, however, I had already contacted Mojo Suspension and after explaining the issue they said to send it directly into them as they would be dealing with it anyway. 4 days later (including a weekend) the shock was repaired under warranty and back on the bike. – Big up to Mojo Suspension, those guys know CS!!!

Riding
    I too have had some of the issues mentioned on here, the BB height does seem a little low and I’ve launched myself off in climb mode when trying to negotiate tricky climbs where pedal clearance is an issue. I’ve since bought some 170mm cranks to try and help it a touch.

Changes

The 2 x 10 setup worked really well. I just couldn’t stomach going for the 1×11 EX version. I like my Shimano gears and the thought of dropping £150 for a rear cassette made me cringe.

I’ve been running a 1 x 10 setup for the last 6 weeks or so and I like how it feels.
    XT rear cassette
    Superstar expander ring 40T (dropped the 17T out of the cassette)
    Superstar chain ring 32T

Tublessed the tyres after about a month. Never had any issues with grip

Overall:
    I really like the bike. It’s been my first ‘long’ travel bike so I don’t really have anything to compare it to.

It’s taken my riding to the next step. I’ve still to find it’s limit, it’s taken a week of all Coed-Y-Brenin could throw at it, a weekend in Bike Park Wales and Afan Forest, numerous weekends on natural trails in the Peak District (where I live).

Bang for your buck, your going to find it hard to match spec for price. I researched bikes for 4 weeks before splashing the cash.

The only downside is Canyon’s CS. It needs stepping up, it seems like they are going the right way, it might be early days yet for them in the UK. I’m not sure if it would put me off buying on again from them.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Anyone heard/seen anything about the 2016 bikes?

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘anyone got a canyon spectral 27.5 (2014 or 2015)? looking for rider feedback?’ is closed to new replies.