Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone got a B class Merc..?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Wife likes them and maybe looking at a B200 CDI to replace the Touran. Interested to hear people’s thoughts..

andyl
    Free Member

I hope it’s nothing like the A class. I would rather the Touran or Tiguan.

edit: thought I had better explain – flat mate has 06 reg A-class. Been really bad for reliability and I saw her service bill the other day £397!!! and that was just a normal service with oil, filters and plugs. Yikes!

loddrik
    Free Member

Thanks, I know they are better than an A-class according to the motoring press. Tiguan is utterly vile, cannot stand that sort of car. She’s not interested in another Touran. Like the look of the Merc, plus it has the all important diesel engine with auto gearbox, and enough space for the family.

shooterman

Yes – my wife has had a B220 CDi for close to three years. She does low mileage but it runs very well. Seems to be quite economical as I run it over a 100 mile daily commute when my car is in the garage.

It is also spacious enough for the two kids in the back. Boot is a decent size as well.

Servicing is pricey though at the Merc dealership!

shredder
    Free Member

Yes worse luck comp car inherited B180 utter poop jumps about suspension wise noisy, ugly , strange seating position, poor build quality rattles everywhere, woeful sound system.
    Other than that great
    HTH

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Buy a Golf. Mercs are only worth it when they’re over 20 years old, IMO!

monkey_boy
    Free Member

brother bought one, servicing is expensive as **** as its got lots of stupidly placed bits??

plenty more cars out there similar size and possibly better, if your not a car snob (probably are as its a merc ;)look at a C-Max.

loddrik
    Free Member

Thanks for the opinions, really just interested in the merc at present, I guess there is an element of snobbery, no longer bothered about needing something to be great to drive, I just want to stick it in D and go these days.

AlasdairMc

I’ve got a B180 CDI Sport – slightly stiffer suspension avoids the wallowing and roll of the SE.

It returns about 45mpg in town and 50-55 on longer trips without even trying, and will take a road bike with both wheels on, or alternatively frame and forks will fit in the boot with the seats still upright.

Servicing is horrific from what I gather, but I’ve not had to do that yet…

ivantate
    Free Member

I think its due for replacment soon, along with the a-class so if you are buying a new one they could be starting to have a few offers.

Golf Plus with dsg could be an interesting comparison if you got on well with the touran.

andyl
    Free Member

I do quite like the style of them but other people seem to back up my fears!

Shame really as it could have been good and they do make sense. I baulked at the A class but after taking a look inside it makes sense for the girl who has it as it is comfy, high, feels safe etc. The aircon rad fell apart at 5 years old – £800 to change. Few other niggles but now it is at 100k they seem to have sorted all the things it kept going back for in the first 50k.

Th R class is a very strange one!

alaric

Boss has one which I’ve driven a few times. I don’t find it particularly comfortable and the rear view mirror blocks an inordinate amount of the windscreen from my seating position…

prettygreenparrot

Give one a go. The upright, high driving position is a bit ‘marmite’ for folks. It looks less van-like than some similarly-sized cars. As you’d expect, expensive cars have expensive servicing. My wife tried a C-class and preferred the B’s driving position, hatchback-ness and rear legroom.

ivantate
    Free Member

Thats true about the mirror, we looked at A and B and the missus refused them on mirror position alone.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve had both an A-Class and only just sold the B-Class.

The A was a lovely car to drive and live with except it was appauling reliability wise so we sold it and bought a B and had the B200 SE for 2.5 years and that was exceptionally good and I’m not comparing it with the A because that’s not fair.
    I’ve far more enjoyed having the B than the A and I used to use a local “ex Merc” service garage for lower bills, and that’ed proven very good indeed. So you don;t have to pay through the nose for servicing, if you look carefully that is.
    Spacewise it’s a perfect fit for the Bouy family what will all our cr*p we carry around. I’m now looking to replace it with something else and I’m now looking at the Touran, hahahaha, we’ll see.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a B class Merc..?’ is closed to new replies.