Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone got a 3-series tourer – any good for bikes
  • scotabroad

Thinking of changing the motor (e36 M3) for something a little more economical/ practical and was thinking of a 320d/ 330d tourer.

Anyone on here got one, and does it hold a couple of bikes in the back with the seats down? What kind of mpg do you get?

Cheers

S

ton

transit 😛

scotabroad

transit

Very helpful 😆

You warmed up yet ye big jessie…..

jfeb
    Free Member

my brother has a 320d Tourer. Nice car. Boot is not that large though – certainly I would expect to have to fold the rear seats down to get a bike in the back. The 320d seems like a great comprimise of performance and economy.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Used to have one – pretty small in the back even with seats down – you will get two bikes in but they’ll be one on top of t’other – little chance of getting two in if you need 1 person to sit in the back

stoney
    Free Member

I have had 4 BMWs and know them quite well, although not had a 3 series…However i do know that the 330d should return almost at least 40mpg, depending of course on driving style. My ster in law had an older 530d and they got 38 out of it. The 330d is a prper quike car as well.

As for the 2 bikes, they`ll go in no problem with seats down.

Hope this helps.

loddrik
    Free Member

Here’s my old 330d, sold it around 18 months ago to fund my Masters.
    Had everything on it, nav, s’roof, xenons etc and was chippes to around 245bhp and god only knows how much torque.

Probably used to average 35-38mpg, was proper quick in gear, I had the steptronic and TBH, I would never buy a manual 330d, I had an Alpina B3s 3.4 before this and whilst the alpina was quicker top end, the 330d was at least as quick in everyday driving.

With regards taking bikes, it was great, the seats folded flat easier than eny other car I have owned, just push a button and they are folded and whilst you will need to take the wheels off, I used to get a couple of bikes in no problem, and that was with only half the rear seat folded as I had a babt seat that I just left in place. Whilst I have owned much ‘better’ cars, the 330d wa the best car I have owned, if that makes sense.

P.S. after selling it I breifly owned a 330i touring, it felt gutless in comparison, and I never thought I would ever say that about a 3.0 pertol BMW engine…

mikee
    Free Member

better with the 5 series
    decent space but still a lot less than a mondeo

or a jazz

ski
    Free Member

Early 320d had turbo issues(51 plate version I used to have was on its 2nd), used to easily get high 40’s mpg though.

Boot not as big as it looks, seats very quick to fold down flat & you could get 2 bikes in with the wheels off, neat splitting rear boot lid/window was a neat feature.

Think if you are used to a M3 the 330d would be a better option.

mark381
    Free Member

I have a 320D E91, but it seems to have the same issues as the E36, in that you could squeeze two bikes in but it would be tight with them on top of eachother, I always use a roof mounted bike rack. As for mpg approx 44mpg round town and 54mpg on a good run (motorwayetc.)

cp

not owned, but have driven the 330d saloon so can comment that the handling and power/go is just brilliant. If you then add in that 49 mpg is easily achievable on a run involving motorway aand it’s just a staggering motorway. They are very refined too, and the engine sounds fantastic. if you can afford the 330d i’d say go for it.

Lummox

thinking you’re looking at diesel’s but my 1.8 2000 e46 will do 31-34 mpg with a carefull foot and 2 bikes on roof mounts, not a lot of space within, but split rear boot lid is great for post ride clothes dumping, heated seats also good for warming your arse after winter rides.

Nothing beats the cavalier hatch back though for ease of bike carriage

Badgerpoo
    Free Member

I’ve got an E36 328 coupe so I know what you mean re bike carrying. It’s as if they designed the car to be the hardest to carry bikes in/on. I’m not sure how I would feel going from an M3 to a diseasel though, urgh.

Bream
    Free Member

Use to have a E46 325 and got around the 20mpg mark but got thirsty with a heavy right foot, quite quick mind and sounded lovely. As has already been said, for a large estate car I found the room in the back too small for carrying bikes. You could get one in with the front wheel out but it would be tight with 2 bikes plus you’d need all the wheels off. That said the back was still bigger than the A4 estate I had before the beemer, for some reason that was even smaller 😯

Great drive and liked the car but wouldn’t buy another for a bike carrier type vehicle, can get more in the back on my wifes Civic (no lie either!) 😮

Transit’s the best idea 😆

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a 3-series tourer – any good for bikes’ is closed to new replies.