Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone good with networks/ IP cameras ?
  • Davesport

Right, I’ve dug out an old IP Cam I had laying around. It’s never been connected to my present network but I have had this thing fully operational in the past.

My problems are. The camera’s presently patched into my router (It will run wirelessly once set up) The router recognises there’s something connected to the LAN port. The power light & the network light on the Cam are both illuminated. The manual has the default address down as 192.168.0.20 & I’ve reset the camera so it should be on this address. However, I can’t get access into the camera. I’ve tried putting the default address into the routers DMZ but there’s no ping coming back.

Any ideas before I consign this thing to the circular file 8)

TIA Dave.

mossimus
    Free Member

Is your current network also on the 192.168.0.x ip range?

Davesport

Err, not sure ! All the attached devices IE laptops & game consoles are in the 192.168.1.** range.

D.

footflaps

That’ll be why then – everything has to be in the same subnet or you have to tell the IP camera who is the default Gateway, so it can communicate with different subnets via the Router (assuming your box is a router rather than just an ethernet switch).

willard

You need to make sure that you are on the same subnet as the camera to access it. Either that or change your network’s subnet mask to 255.255.254.0 that should allow you to access both the 0.x and 1.x networks.

Personally, I’d just configure a laptop’s RJ45 port to go on 0.x and plug the camera into that. Configure stuff, job done.

mossimus
    Free Member

Prolly easiest to connect a computer directly to IP Cam and give PC a IP of 192.168.0.x then configure the camera to use 192.168.1.x
    (Might need a crossover cable not a normal cable)

Or

You can change the subnet masks on your router and devices from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.254.0

Note: with the above some home routers won’t support this as they do not allow a Class C Network with a Class B subnet

Davesport

OK, thanks for the replies.

I’ll look into changing over the IP of a laptop. Totally out of my area of knowledge now 😀 I’ll check on Google & report back on progress.

D.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone good with networks/ IP cameras ?’ is closed to new replies.