Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Anyone gone from Apple/ iOS to android?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

A while ago, switched, made the classic error of going from an i-phone that cost many hundreds of pounds to an android that cost many tens of pounds.

Realised my error and got a decent spec android phone, never looked back.

alpineharry
    Free Member

I had a 6 plus in the past that finally broke due to being bent, I never really had it it my backpocket nor did I ever sit on it. Was always in my front pocket but still managed to bend. My 6s has been fine. Just wondering if there have been any similar issues with the 1+ 5t because of it’s large size…off to google..

BillMC

Just switched from Apple 4S to Moto G5+ and very happy so far.

iffoverload
    Free Member

much of a muchness but I am not a fan of the Apple “do it our way or do it our way” options on ipoop devices

also iphones are big targets for hackers now with the nice uniformity of the code and access across all the devices then consider apple are not very concerned when security issues arise, prefering to keep it quiet unlike the open android development community.

matt_outandabout

I think there is no ‘Android’ – user experience and functionality varies between brands.

I don’t like Samsung or Sony overlay on Android. I found both were hungry for memory (ram and storage), both forced apps on my I didn’t want, or had to be duplicated with the one I wanted.
    HTC’s was bearable, but that was 5 years ago.
    I’ve found that Motorola, Google and now Nokia offer much less overlay, and are so much the better for it. They are faster, easier to live with ‘stock’ Google apps, adopt memory cards as external or internal as your wish.
    My wife’s iPhone 5s is a smooth, simple thing to use. It is the only phone we’ve had though that has had hardware issues (it doesn’t like any cold, and was replaced under warranty after a few weeks with a battery that held charge for an hour).

You pay your money and make your choice… Is just Android is a lot, lot less money.

andykirk
    Free Member

Echo the comment that the Android experience varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. All the daft add-ons between brands is where Android falls down in my opinion. If they just kept it the same between phones or had an option to do so it would be a lot more user friendly. I can’t be bothered spending ages tweaking Android phones to get them to work the way I want, you don’t really have this issue with Apple – their stuff is just fine from the start, no fannying around required. The same applies to the Mac v PC debate.

I think if one is using one’s phone a lot, then the supposed high price of Apple products more than pays for itself in the long term. The seamless integration and lack of adverts/ needless tweakability options is just great.

themilo
    Free Member

I think the comment above about mostly using it to make calls and send texts and it definitely not being a desktop replacement is key here. It depends, almost entirely, on what you want to do. My wife calls, texts, facebooks and whatsapps. That’s it. Occasionally she may fire up an internet search. For her, the simplicity, uniformity and familiarity of iOS is perfect. I, on the other hand, find it infuriatingly restrictive and intentionally difficult and wil never buy their overpriced, overhyped nonsense. That said, I’m writing this on my iPad which I use for pretty much the same interactions as my wife and it’s quite easily the best device I’ve had for those functions.

If you go Andriod, get a good one. Nexus 6p here – the best, most versatile, most “tweakable” phone I’ve ever had the pleasure of owning. Half the price (monthly) of the equivalent iPhone and I can make it do pretty much anything I like.

Cougar

I think a lot of it boils down to what you’re used to. Switching in either direction is going to be a learning curve.

I can’t abide iDevices, my missus lets me use her iPhone / iPad sometimes and it drives me spare. She’s similar with my Android devices, had a Samsung something or other for a few months and hated it. Nothing to do with brand loyalty, one works for her and the other works for me. My brain just doesn’t work in the Apple way.

mrmo
    Free Member

work phone is some samsung thing, personal an iPhone, can’t stand android. Both do the same things, but the Samsung just doesn’t seem as polished and finding settings is more of a pain.

themilo
    Free Member

mrmo – if you really think that they do the same things (or CAN do the same things) fire up Showbox on your iPhone for me…….

Like i said, depends what you want to be able to do but the capability of the 2 OS’ (in stock access form at least) is poles apart.

Finding settings is exactly as simple across either platform. there are simply more options in Android. That will be critical to some and confusing to others.

GrahamS

fire up Showbox on your iPhone for me……

Can you get that on Google Play?
    Seems like loads of very dodgy looking third-party websites offering genuine Showbox app on Android and iOS as APKs etc

Plenty of apps are only available on iOS as well though – so hardly a defining point unless those apps are vital to you.

themilo
    Free Member

Acknowledged Graham but at least the options are available and I get to choose. I’m sure there are some (probably extremely) dodgy sites out there but, again, for those of us that enjoy and value the flexibility to be able to do as we wish with our tech, there are the options along with the risks we accept and, hopefully, make informed decisions upon. Horses for courses.

GrahamS

Those very dodgy sites exist for iOS/Apple too though.

Google “Showbox iOS apk” for a decent selection.

Poopscoop

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.techrepublic.com/google-amp/article/malicious-ios-app-popup-windows-could-be-stealing-your-apple-id/

CountZero,

The iPhone is not immune to malware and exploits as Google throws up many instances just as it does for android. Does android have more, certainly possible as it is not as draconically locked down at the iPhone?

That’s a price I am very willing to pay for such flexibility in the choice of the mobile, spec and price I wish to pay. 🙂

Basically androids are just more fun at a fundamental level too! If you want them to be.

iOS is just so… Bleh.
    It’s like phone communism. 😀

andybanks
    Free Member

Had iPhones and apple devices for over 5 years, then swapped to a One plus 3 and now on a One plus 5t.

Haven’t looked back. Great devices, much better than the iPhone, works seamlessly with everything I use on my Mac laptop and much better value for money.

The camera on the 5t is also exceptional.

alpineharry
    Free Member

Ended up with a OnePlus 5t, still getting to grips with it vs my 6s, some things I prefer on the iPhone but a good few more on the OnePlus. Love just how quick it is! As mentioned before by someone, I too prefer the keyboard on the iPhone but we’ll see how this one goes

sbob
    Free Member

CountZero – Member

My three year old iPhone 6+ is showing no sign of slowing down

Neither is my Samsung E1200, and it doesn’t even run duckduckgo!
    😛

stewartc
    Free Member

The Blackview is getting good reviews as a rugged waterproof outdoorsy phenomenon, let’s see

Been on a BV7000 for 4 months now, indestructible and just works.

iPhone7 to Samsung G5 Pro a year ago, very easy to migrate as I was only interested in Whatsapp, calls, Spotify and Strava, I really was not that into the Apple eco system anyway though I do have an AppleTV.

Cant see the justification for an iPhone based on the price of an 8 or X.

shermer75
    Free Member

Went from iPhone to Samsung S7, absolutely loved it so far! Did take a while to get used to all the different ways of doing things, a bit like going from Mac to Windows. After reading this thread I’ll def be considering a OnePlus! 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Anyone gone from Apple/ iOS to android?’ is closed to new replies.