Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Anyone gone from Apple/ iOS to android?
  • alpineharry
    Free Member

I’m looking into purchasing a new phone but will more than likely go from Apple/ iOS to Android, just wondering how people had found it? Preferences or negatives?

Cheers

somouk
    Free Member

I went once to a One Plus device.

Overall it was okay, all the apps were available that I use some looked different and had a less polished user experience. Some had more features that I found useful.

The only reason I went back to iPhone was the eco system as I have a mac, ipad etc.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Went from an iPhone to a a cheapy Chinese phone which I liked but was a bit plastic. Then got a OnePlus 3 and it’s magnificent…. Android took a little getting used to but now seems great, wjile iOS seems to have not changed.
    I very much doubt I’d get another iPhone again – overpriced and I just don’t trust Apple (and I was using Macs back in the 90’s!) – I suspect they’re starting to lose their grip.
    Next phone will undoubtedly be another OnePlus.

alpineharry
    Free Member

Looks like i’ve done well starting this thread off and been lucky with who replied, I plan on actually changing to a one plus 5T. How do/did you both like the OnePlus? I’ve had a bit of a fiddle but no long term use. Searching google the reviews all seem to be really good and comparable (and better) to the iphone 8 at a fraction of the price. I use a windows laptop so connectivity should be pretty easy between the 2.

sharkbait
    Free Member

There’s a lot of love for the OnePlus range on here. Just get one… if you don’t like it I’ll have it!

Overall they seem very fast (loads of RAM), well made and the plain Android version they use is great…. they update it with new versions pretty quickly too.
    Fingerprint reader is really quick, dual sim is very handy for me…. just everything seems good.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Apple to Samsung about 4 years ago after being a fanboi from the start. I’d never switch back.

doris5000

went from an iPhone 5 to a Samsung A3 this year. Only things i really miss are replying to text messages on my computer and notes syncing conveniently. A couple of other apple ecosystem hiccups too, but generally there are simple enough workarounds for most things.

overall it was pretty painless 🙂

doris5000

oh btw you’ll need to unregister your phone number from iMessage otherwise Apple will hijack any texts people send from iPhones and helpfully toss them into the void for you:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage

mikertroid
    Free Member

Looking to move from an SE to a samsung S7 pretty soon. I use pages and numbers a lot though-do MS apps work okay on android?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Google Docs has you covered in that respect I think.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Great thanks!

beej

Most MS apps are available for Android – just do a search for Microsoft on google play (on the web) and you’ll see the range. Most people working at Microsoft use Android or iOS now, and most of the apps are being constantly developed for those platforms.

Lots of OnePlus users in my team (but we’re techies at heart).

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Only things i really miss are replying to text messages on my computer

I use and app called Mighty text which syncs to the chrome browser on my computers.

alpineharry
    Free Member

Sounds like oneplus seems a popular choice in terms of the android market but I suppose you wouldn’t go too far wrong with any android phone these days.

That’s interesting to know Doris, i’ll look into that, I never really used Imessage anyway just simple texts. I was hoping to keep a hold of my iphone or give it to my mum unless I was desperate for the money as they’re not worth thaaat much anyway.

cbike
    Free Member

I tried twice

Both androids I had became slow and unable to make a phone call without crashingj within a short time. They had no media and few apps. Every iphone has lasted a good 5 or 6 years and I never get the most recent.

How do you make android use an external memory card? It’s never worked or its half worked and you have to manually move stuff about. I want it all to be considered as one space.

Sticking to iphone the noo.

Daffy

I’ve got both, but definitely prefer my iPhone/IOS on the phone. I’ve also not both on tablets, but there’s not much in it.

zippykona

I’ve just gone from a galaxy s4 to an lg g4. It has a newer android and is frankly quite baffling. I guess its a case of getting used to it but I did check out the price of an iphone 6s as I know how to work one of those as i have an ipad.
    At 3 times the cost for a 128gb I’ll stick with the LG.

rickmeister

Hoping my android Blackview bv8000 pro arrives to replace a now unusable iPhone. Can’t justify Apple phone prices or trust them after the last slow phone admission.

The Blackview is getting good reviews as a rugged waterproof outdoorsy phenomenon, let’s see…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

cbike – Member
    I tried twice

Both androids I had became slow and unable to make a phone call without crashingj within a short time. They had no media and few apps. Every iphone has lasted a good 5 or 6 years and I never get the most recent.
    Any particular phones?
    Seen nothing like that in a long time of use, Nexus 5 did well and the 6p is doing very well too

s1m0n
    Free Member

I did it a few years ago and had various Samsung and Sony phones. I liked the customisation of Android but the phones never lasted that long – at the end of a 2 year contract they seemed to be on their knees. Went back to Apple and much prefer it again.

Still have a non-iOS tablet (Amazon Fire) which is fine for what I use it for, but will eventually get an iPad.

aP
    Free Member

I received my One Plus 5T yesterday, and my replacement SIM came this morning. Its a bit odd for me at the moment – my work based phone was a Nokia Windows phone which has been very reliable, but now a bit wobbly and this replaces it. I’ve downloaded Outlook so I can do my work related stuff in its own app. My personal phone is an iP and I shall see how I get on with android. Just going to be a case of learning where stuff is, and how to get at it.

glenh
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    cbike – Member
    I tried twice

Any particular phones?
    Seen nothing like that in a long time of use, Nexus 5 did well and the 6p is doing very well too

Never had anything like that on any of my Google Nexus / Pixel phones.
    I use an iPad too, but I hate the iOS crappy notification system so much that I could never use an iPhone (don’t care about notifications on the iPad so have them all switched off).

p.s. app updating is terrible on iOS too.

pyranha

I changed to a Sony Android phone, partly because of its waterproof-ness but, after three or so years have recently changed back to an iPhone because the phone needed replacing and I was having trouble with the Android version of one App (MemoryMap) which worked/works fine on iOS products. Of course, it could just have been MemoryMap being not very good, but it kept losing maps if I was out of 4g range, which is a bit crap if you are using it as your navigation device in the Highlands (I do always have a paper map in the rucsac).

I get the impression (and may be wrong) that there are more variables across the Android world (eg manufacturers’ or network providers’ skins on the phones) which makes difficulties for niche Apps. The big developers, the likes of Amazon, BBC etc, don’t seem to be an issue.

I suspect my next phone will be another Android, unless Apple get a bit more sensible about the pricing.

lorax

I tried a couple of years ago with whatever the top end Samsung was, and then an HTC M8. Both phones were fine, but I just couldn’t get on with Android. The Samsung version was really horrible, with all sorts of irritating customisations, but even the more standard version on the HTC felt wrong to me.

I stuck at it for several months but went back to Apple in the end. I think I gave it long enough to give Android a fair go, but I just found it weird, idiosyncratic, and unintuitive. I am clearly in a minority here, and plenty of people prefer Android, but not me. And that’s all ignoring the convenience of the way it all works together given the rest of my stuff, and the family’s kit, is Apple.

Gary_M
    Free Member

My personal phone is an iPhone and work phone is android. Some big samsung thing, I hate it with a passion. It’s just so clunky with stupid things constantly flashing up on the screen. Yes I’m sure they could be disabled but the settings options are so confusing I haven’t bothered.

somouk
    Free Member

I found the One Plus range to be excellent.

Good designs, well built and specced phones with a good community behind them as well.

You can’t get accessories as easily but that may have changed now that O2 carry the One Plus range.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Please can you explain that? How? Why?

thepurist

My personal phone is an iPhone and work phone is android. Some big samsung thing, I hate it with a passion. It’s just so clunky with stupid things constantly flashing up on the screen. Yes I’m sure they could be disabled but the settings options are so confusing I haven’t bothered.

I’m the opposite – personal phone is Android, work is iPhone, I find that the iPhone seems to make things more difficult and clunky. I’ve used enough iOS devices to learn how to do stuff on them but I always seem to have to think about that whereas on android it’s usually where I expect it to be.

On balance I used a CAD package that had two modes, ‘Click/click’ and ‘click/drag’ and there was continual debate among users about which was best. I was a dragger and if I had to use a clicker’s machine I got into all sorts of bother.

fisha
    Free Member

Wife has an iPhone, and I’ve swapped between each on a regular basis.

They each have their advantages, and disadvantages. One is not singularly better than the other.

I would say though that over the time, whenever I pick up and use an iPhone, I consistently feel that the keyboard works better with less errors for me compared to various Android phones. That applies to iPhone 4, 5, 6 etc etc against various Samsungs and Sony android phones. I make more mistakes on the Android phones.

That being said, I much prefer the Android OS methods of working and dynamics. I quickly get frustrated with the iPhone and its method of navigations and how much they seem to change with each OS version. Android seems to have kept a more consistent dynamic.

Applications – equal. You can do most things with both.

Camera – equal really … especially the more recent phones. For me, its more about being able to quickly grab the phone and the camera app to start and take a pic quickly. The iPhones have always been good at this, but the current S7’s camera I have found to be particularly quick.

All that being said, I’d echo an earlier comment. Current Apple phones are getting hard to justify … I just don’t see how they can command the price that they do compared to other offerings out there now.

zippykona

I have slightly warmed to iphones.
    Things that will stop me buying one….
    My wife has an iphone and I keep getting messages for her about her friend’s hysterectomy on my ipad.
    Old ipads are far nastier to use than old galaxy phones. Assuming iphones are the same.
    I do like the storage on the 128 iphones as last year my sd card went wrong and I’m assuming it will go wrong again this year.Some of the apps on the card sometimes migrate back to the internal memory.
    My lg g4 is going back as it is so confusing to use compared to my galaxy s4.
    My next phone will probably be an old android but apple the one after that.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Flipped back and forth a few times over the years after having one of the the first Android handsets available in the UK, but came back to Apple ultimately. 3 main reasons:

1)A generally consistent user interface, compared to Android providers and their desire to ‘skin’ Android in their own style

2)Longer-term support by Apple for handsets. Far too many Android handsets get dumped by their vendors in short order, with no updates available when these are released. Cyanogen and Lineage do a better job

3)I only really need a device to make calls, send messages, right very short email replies, and run the odd app. I’m not using it as desktop replacement. So for my use cases, Apple does a better job for me.

Gary_M
    Free Member

But it happens in the background.

jimdubleyou

I swapped to Android (Sony Z3 Compact) and back again.

I couldn’t get on with google music and the phone seemed to kill SD cards regularly.

There were other niggles that I don’t remember now, but I suspect many of these things have been dealt with in that time frame.

Now I can get a new battery in my 6s for £29 I think I’ll be sticking with it for a while.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I have an iPhone 6 as my own phone, and a Galaxy S8 for work.

Still prefer the iPhone – although the S8 is the first non Apple phone I’ve used that doesn’t feel like it was made by Tomy 🙂

Kryton57

The one plus phones aren’t cheap are they?

I have an iPhone 6 for work, and a Moto G5 for personal. There G5 at the £160 I paid does everything I need TBH, although I’m not pushing its boundaries. The battery has gone from 2 days to 1 days standby in 3 months though.

Moto phones are pretty much stock Android and apart from the nuances and the apparent need to clear the cache every so often for the Money it makes for a much cheaper PAYG smartphone than an iPhone does. Having said that I have a i6 in the drawer with a broken screen – if that was fixed cheap I might consider using it just so I don’t have to have 2 sets of chargers with me on trips.

alpineharry
    Free Member

I’d be going from a 6s to a one plus 5t although as I say i’ll probably hold on to the iphone for a while just in case I don’t get on with the 1+. The 1+’s are £500 retail but i’ll get 5% student discount so makes it a little better.

GrahamS

Only things i really miss are replying to text messages on my computer

I generally use WhatsApp for messaging these days and that has a web interface too.

alexxx
    Free Member

Went to a s8+ from iphones most of my life.. I was going to get a oneplus but heard that youtube videos stream in sd as standard and cant be set to hd for some strange tech reason.. that would annoy me so I looked around and got a s8+ dual sim for about £550.

Tired of apples getting slower and bending and wanted a good camera. All in all its ace – the only thing I dont like is that the battery does get used quite quickly (but it charges quickly)… and the keyboard feels a bit clumpy compared to what I was used to on an iphone.. but I did have about 10 years on iphones so.. probably to be expected.

CountZero

http://www.zdnet.com/article/android-security-flashlight-apps-on-google-play-infested-with-adware-were-downloaded-by-1-5m-people/

Tired of apples getting slower and bending and wanted a good camera.

Well, if you will stick your phone in your back pocket then sit down on it, but exactly the same will happen with any modern smartphone with a large screen!
    My three year old iPhone 6+ is showing no sign of slowing down either, and the camera is perfectly good enough, the iP8 is one of the very best on the market.

GrahamS

I regularly sit on my phone. One of the many reasons I prefer the smaller tougher form factor of the iPhone SE (that and the better battery life)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Anyone gone from Apple/ iOS to android?’ is closed to new replies.