Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • Anyone gone carless?
  • aP
    Free Member

We have one car and its done 300 miles since the beginning of June.
    Living in London means driving is a chore, I still fail to understand quite why so many drive at every conceivable opportunity.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep and we all know a big car gives you an extra inch 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

I’m with pop star on this.. Driving is indeed one of the manliest of pursuits.. Right up there with gardening, pigeon fancying and metal detecting

ton

popstar, you complete and utter sausage……….. 🙄

yunki…..you complete and utter hippy sausage…….. 😉

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Yes, thats correct MrSmith. Who wears trousers in your house? Car is for a real man. If you hear a lady complaining and moaning about driving there is simple answer -driving is for men.

Can I help you with your Neanderthal scribblings?

Yes, that is correct MrSmith. Who wears the trousers in your house? The Car is for a real man. If you hear a lady complaining and moaning about driving there is a simple answer -driving is for men. Ugh.

benjii19
    Free Member

I’d love to but…..for the minute it’s just nice to be able to sling the bike in the boot before work and then go riding somewhere further a field should I fancy it at the end of the day straight from work.

Drac
    popstar
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say that big car gives you extra inch, but you need to have a car to explore and hunt. An inactive man without real man hobbies and interests isn’t attractive.
    So, when woman wipes you on the floor don’t run crying around, it all started when you advocated to lose your manliness. Don’t be weak, they will get you.
    😯

MrSmith
    Free Member

A big manly hairy sausage that impregnates doe-eyed females within a radius of 50m.

Move over Chuck Norris I just found a new man-hero 🙄

mutoiddoh
    Free Member

I managed well without a car for two years. It pissed my riding buddies off though as I relied on them too much when we went away.
    Now I have a 205 gti. It is worth every penny it costs, as it’s fun.

benp1

2 to 1 is very different to 1 to none

Used to work In central London and 2 cars was a waste of money, sold it. Used motorbike (and public transport) to get to work. Also cycled every now and then

Now work out of town and despite being able to get the train, cycle or motorbike we’re back to two cars. It’s just more practical, although its the kids that really clinch it. If we didn’t have them I could use two wheels, but that’s no use if I need to drop the kids off somewhere!

flap_jack
    Free Member

If you live somewhere as bike friendly as Milton Keynes it’s very easy. Or was, until they moved my work to Luton 🙁

CaptJon
    Free Member

I’m 31 years old and made it this far without a car. I’m not sure what the fuss is all about with cars when you live in a city with decent public transport.

edhornby

We went from 2 to 1 when my focus bit the dust partly from not being used enough and old. With a 3yr old and a 14 week old baby no cars is not an option
    Also bear in mind things they involve a late finish, I play in a couple of bands and would be shafted without a car

mikewsmith
    Free Member

CaptJon – Member – Quote
    I’m 31 years old and made it this far without a car. I’m not sure what the fuss is all about with cars when you live in a city with decent public transport.

Yep try living anywhere that doesn’t, makes me laugh when Londoners complain about their public transport

bokonon
    Free Member

We’re just considering this proposal in our house – our 12 year old Scenic got shunted up the arse last week and we are awaiting confirmation that the destroyed bumper and boot lock mean the car is written off (we’re not sure, but it seems likely.) we can’t afford to get a new car, and the car is worth next to nothing, so we’re unlikely to get enough money to buy a car with it – so being forced into it to a certain extent.

I’m not sure how it will work, the day to day stuff is fine – between walking, bikes etc. we can get around town and school is at the end of the road, I commute by bike. The real issue is going to be visiting family, friends etc. which are all over the country – it’s not uncommon for us to go to Southend for the day, for example – from Stafford. Not having a car puts an end to that – we’ll see how we can get round it.

Never had more than 1 so don’t know what all the fuss is about.

Mrs STR has never driven – although she’s had a few lessons and will eventually drive one day. She uses public transport or we go places together.

I could never give up my car – far too restricting. I like to go to places at the drop of a hat/quickly/in shit weather/far away/in comfort/in my own company/with load carrying capacity/etc, etc….

Used public transport recently whilst injured – bloody expensive and restrictive. I like bikes but I’d not choose to ride one everywhere.

In other news, I’m not in any hurry to give up TV’s, computers, mobile phones, the Internet, bicycle suspension, or any other great invention that the last century or two has brought us.

WildHunter2009

Me and the girlfriend manage on 1 car between the two of us and we live somewhere pretty damn car-centric (Perth Australia, I’m lucky enough to be able to walk/cycle to the office and when i’m on site its a taxi to the airport. It pretty much only gets used for the big weekly shop, driving to the trails at weekends and weekends away. I dont think I could go carless here, outside of the city public transport is utterly non existant and inside its a bit average.

I would like a 4wd drive though……

Dickyboy

My brother, his wife & two young kids tried going without cars completely a few years ago but failed 🙁 they’ve never had two cars between them but have had car plus motorbike. I didn’t even learn to drive until I had kids but then again I’d always had motorbikes. Looking forward to moving close to a railway station & bus route at end of the month, so will be nice to get back to a state of rarely using the car 🙂

Marmoset
    Free Member

We’re down to 1 over here in Oz as I can get to work on the bike or bus, it’s only been an issue about 3 times over 2 years when I needed it and my wife needed it as well. It wouldn’t be an option in the UK given where I had to go to work though.

Just saw someone down my street drive 200 metres this morning to meet a friend so they could walk to the bus stop together 🙄 Seems as if some people can’t contemplate the idea of self propulsion….it is noticable how car centric it is down under – very few roads in the ‘burbs have footpaths.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you get rid of ‘your’ car but still have one in the family, then you aren’t carless are you? Car dependency is pretty deep rooted isn’t it?

jam-bo

We have one car and its done 300 miles since the beginning of June.
    Living in London means driving is a chore, I still fail to understand quite why so many drive at every conceivable opportunity.

So why have one at all. Surely it’s cheaper just to hire one when you need it.

I’d love to lose one of our cars but a very niche set of skills mean I have to travel beyond reasonable biking distance to work.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hiring cars is much less convenient though. If you can afford to have one for a few miles a year then it’s easier. You don’t have to remember to book, cycle down to the rental place to get it and drop it off etc.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I sold my car in july and the mrs had her mums Micra whilst they were abroad for a few months. Usually we are a/ have been a two car family but thought we’d try it. A few times it did restrict what we did but generally less than we had imagined. As such we’ve currently opted to only replace the micra with one car now her mums back. Admirable if it can be achieved.

loddrik
    Free Member

If you get rid of ‘your’ car but still have one in the family, then you aren’t carless are you? Car dependency is pretty deep rooted isn’t it?

My question was about ‘me’ going carless, not the family. Plus the wife will have it 6 days out of 7. And it’s me that drops and picks up the kids everyday so it means no car on school run, daytime swimming etc. So essentially I will be carless.

MSP

I went carless about 5 months ago, no problems so far. I do intend to join one of those “car clubs” where you can use a car for a few hours at a time, now the winter is setting in.

There is a small supermarket just a few hundred yards from my home, and my commute is 7.5km mainly along fireroads. I had basically set my life up already not to be reliant of having a car, but it took me a while to get over the final hurdle and actually get rid off it.

Having set my life up to be less reliant on a car, I eventually went the whole hog mainly for financial reasons, I would much rather spend my money on bikes and holidays than throw it at a car.

For me it has been very liberating, I am now richer in both money and perhaps more importantly time.

ps, and in those 5 months I have been able to afford 2 new bikes 😀

will
    Free Member

The fact I live in London means that for 2.5 years I haven’t really needed ro wanted a car so i’ve been fine. Outside a city though is a different matter I think.

molgrips
    Free Member

If your commute is set up properly then it’s easy to be carless. The big issue is having no access to a car at all, when you want to go places further afield.

So definitely go to 1 car if you want!

StirlingCrispin

I was carless until I got married (at 38, and Mrs StirlingCrispin now has a car to get to work on the outer edges of Glasgow). Even now I tend to lug the kids around by bike but do use it for ferrying them to and from beavers.

Here’s my tips:
    – Invest in a low-maintenance hack bike with hub gears, roller brakes, dynamo, mudguards.

– Buy a Brompton. The most social bike known to man. Get a lift home, put it in a taxi if it’s raining, take it with you on the train or bus.

– Buy a trailer for the food shop and lugging other weird stuff around.

– Buy decent waterproofs and trousers and shoes.

You’re saving £400/mo so don’t hesitate to rent a car or jump in a taxi.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Single car family, and have been for years now.
    Need a car really so the wife can get to work, which is 20 miles away, she uses it too for community visits.
    I don’t need a car as work is 1 mile away, as is my eldest son’s school.
    So apart from the wife’s work, the car sits on the driveway all week long, then we use it at weekends for getting around (family dotted all over uk and owning and running a car is cheaper than public transport, not to mention more convenient with a 1 year old and 5 year old)
    Also handy for getting to places with the bike that would otherwise take ages to get to, means I can be more “efficient” with my biking time vs family time. That said, most of my biking is done from the house to minimise non-riding time.

Don’t get me wrong, if I had the money and the space, I’d love to have at least one car purely for thrashing 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Personally I would have a Kona Ute if I had the cash. I travel for work by bike and train, carrying sometimes 5 days’ worth of stuff and then running gear, cycling gear, computer etc. A Ute would fit a holdall nicely on that big rack nicely, and it’d still fit on FGW trains.

footflaps

Personally I would have a Kona Ute if I had the cash. I travel for work by bike and train, carrying sometimes 5 days’ worth of stuff and then running gear, cycling gear, computer etc. A Ute would fit a holdall nicely on that big rack nicely, and it’d still fit on FGW trains.

I’ve also been tempted as I’ve snapped two rear pannier racks overloading them with groceries. However, the Ute looks a bit cumbersome, I really like the nimbleness of my Pompino (although carrying 25kg bags of cement from B&Q does make it handle like a pig).

molgrips
    Free Member

Aparently they don’t handle too badly.

miketually
    Free Member

I’m 36 and have never got around to passing my driving test. As such, I’ve never applied for jobs that I couldn’t get to by bike or public transport and so not driving isn’t really an issue for me.

When we first got married (14 years ago) we didn’t have a car for a couple of years, but my in-laws were just around the corner so my wife used to borrow her dad’s car for Big Shops and day trips.

We also did about 18 months completely car free when the kids were younger; my wife wore the tread of a good few pushchair wheels.

When we didn’t have a car, we’d either go on car free holidays or hire a car. Both kids are great on trains and buses, because they’re so used to it. My eldest complains if we drive any distance as she much prefers the train.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

So this thread is about if its possible for a family to survive with only one car?

Wow, that isn’t exactly what i’d class as carless

jon1973
    Free Member

djglover
    Free Member

I’d sooner go bikeless than carless (although that was a totally different story 2 years ago)

SandyThePig
    Free Member

Life would be rubbish without a car. I did it for a few years when I was single and it was a total hassle – scrounging lifts from people etc etc.

Wife and I have a car between us. She uses it to ferry our daughter about. I bike 20 miles each way to work, and can optionally get the train if necessary. Costs far too much to run 2 cars. We /could/ afford it, but we’d have to give other stuff up.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Hiring cars is much less convenient though. If you can afford to have one for a few miles a year then it’s easier. You don’t have to remember to book, cycle down to the rental place to get it and drop it off etc.

Just requires you to plan a little more. In 3 years without a car, only once did I have a problem hiring at short notice. Enterprise also drop you off and pick you up, my house is about 4 miles from their location and it was never an issue.

I’ll freely admit that it will limit what you do. This is both a negative and a positive, since for most people there is plenty to do locally that often gets ignored. Having seen both sides, I am tempted to go carless again tbh, as we could do without the expense. It wouldn’t work well for a lot of people, but far too many claim it’s impossible.

A good example from this weekend, drove into town, spent ages trying to park, spent £2.50 to park a mile from the market, plus say £2 for petrol. When I had a bus pass, effective cost about £1.20, bus stop outside the market, takes about 3 minutes longer to get there. Why don’t I still get the bus? No idea!

molgrips
    Free Member

We have a bus into town, takes 50 mins tho against 15 to drive, and we can park immediately right in town. I really would take the bus if it didn’t take so effin long.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Anyone gone carless?’ is closed to new replies.