Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anyone given bone marrow?
  • eskay

Had a text today from the nhs to say I am a possible bone marrow match for a patient.

I have been on the registry for years.

I will give them a call in the morning but wondered if anyone had donated previously and what it involved.

If I am a match I will definitely donate, I am just curious about the whole thing.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Not given it but had it taken on several occasions.
    There are a considerable number of things I’d rather do than that again (even though I know there’ll need to be one at some point this year).
    However for the reason they’re asking you its worth it – no tpromising you it’ll be nice – it isn’t but I wouldn’t hesitate if I was a match.

m0rk
    Free Member

Yup, I got a letter a few weeks after they took the sample.

Was a very humbling process, although anonymous you can figure out various things about the receiver.

I opted for the ‘filter your blood’ option, rather than the massive needles in your pelvis under GA.

It was a week or so of prep, where you get injected with a dose of medication to boost your blood with whatever they want to salvage, basically makes you have growing pains. A lot.

Then you’re hooked up to a machine for a day or two while they pump you full of fluids and filter your blood out.

Worst bit about the whole thing was having 4L of saline pumped into me, and not being able to go to the loo for a piss. They offered a bottle, but I opted for holding out.

They pay your expenses, mileage, decent hotel & meals so it’s pretty good

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Well done m0rk.

MoreCashThanDash

Sometimes, this place and the people on it, are very humbling.

m0rk
    Free Member

Reasons I chose not to take the needles in the pelvis….

1) They ask you about your life insurance, and will pay up an additional policy due to the GA ‘risks’
    2) They count the number of teeth you have, because “often you lose some when you get flipped onto your front with the pipe down your throat”
    3) Recovery was a few days vs zero days

They also paid for my (then) girlfriend to come with me, as there was no way I was fit to drive home after three days in Bristol

hammyuk
    Free Member

You get GA??? Foook – I don’t 😥

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Well done m0rk and also to eskay and anyone else who’s on the register. For a bunch of complex reasons, this is a cause close to my heart. My 16 year old daughter made me very proud yesterday by signing up.

eskay

Had a letter today to say that after further testing, I am not a match. Fingers crossed that there are other options for the patient.

Maybe next time….

theotherjonv

No, but keep meaning to. Was blood donor for many years, then went on an exotic trip which took me off their allowed list and haven’t got back on since. Must do that too.

Well done m0rk and also to eskay and anyone else who’s on the register

Much to my chagrin. There’s a bloke i used to work with, who’s an utter nobhead. Misogynist, loud, opinionated, even a bit racist. However he’s also on every register going, has dozens of blood donations, goes in regularly for platelet donation, and has also given bone marrow at least once and i think more.

I really want to hate him, but I can’t, instead i admire him.

BillMC

What wonderful people! I got given bone marrow in St John, Clerkenwell.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

@theotherjonV – there’s some good in everyone. He must have saved a few lives by now.

Hope the donations did their job Bill.

I’m on the list but no call yet.

steveoath
    Free Member

I’m on the register, only be called once and after years wasn’t a close enough match. Fair to say I was cacking it. Didn’t know there was another option assist from the pelvic needle.

shermer75
    Free Member

MoreCashThanDash – Member
    Sometimes, this place and the people on it, are very humbling.

This^^

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I’m on the list but have never had the call. I understand the reasons why you wouldnt go for the pelvic needle, but what are the reasons you would? Must be a reason for it or there would only be one option.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’ve given, about 15 years ago. Same way as Mort. I did use the bottle, nurse had to help, filled it, nurse getting worried she’d need to swap in a second mid flow but one was enough just. Never staid in touch with recipient although they wanted to, couldn’t think what to say. Then they got Anthony Nolan to ask me again just a few months ago, so I met her, and husband. It was nice.

I got contacted about 3 times over 5 years before I gave, a potential/initial match is a long way from a suitable match. Further testing for you yet I suspect.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Oh and for me the’growing pains’ were very minor but I was wiped out for a couple of weeks after, sleeping 16 hours a day!

neilnevill
    Free Member

Just re read more words. For me I was pumped dry, filtered and refilled in 4 hours. Thought that was usual, not days.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anyone given bone marrow?’ is closed to new replies.