Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Anyone found a Charge Spoon fairly comfy then found something better?
  • sambob
    Free Member

As above, mine used to be comfy, now pretty painful. Cheers for any help.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

I’ve just brought another through stw classifieds so I have one on each of my bikes. I’d tried a Syncross AM saddle which was certainly comfy but began wearing through very quickly. I’ve had one of my spoons for maybe 2.5 years and still it looks as fresh as a daisy (albeit a brown leather one). Maybe some new padded shorts?

druidh
    Free Member

I know what you mean. They seem to start off well and then get harder/less comfy after a bit if use. I’m back to using Specialized BG saddles on everything but the tourer (Brooks B17). They’re more expensive but stay comfy for years so it works out cheaper in the long run.

sambob
    Free Member

Don’t think the shorts would help, as it’s the shape and support more than the padding. On a full sus so something thin is fine if it’s a good shape.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

yeah sdg bel air ti

chojin
    Free Member

RestlessNative – nail + head.

I used to use Charge Spoons, but recently tried an SDG Bel Air and haven’t looked back 🙂

CaptJon
    Free Member

i have both a spoon and bel air. Both used to be nice and comfy, now only the bel air is.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I agree at first the spoon is ace but alas not now ( or my arse has changed shape)

takisawa2

Had a few cro-mo Spoons, but always go back to the Ti version I’ve had for years.

The WTB Speed V is a nice saddle. Bit more padding. If I could get a Ti version without a second mortgage I’d probably get one.

Clobber
    Free Member

Bel air +1

rootes1

Yep. Love charge spoons… I had one on four bikes

but fraction too wide at the edges and that stitching is a pain… on Lejog I ended up with a blister right on the junction of the two bits of stitching on the edge…

found that the Fizik Aliante is the same shape (curved rather than flat so you sit over rather than on the saddle) is a fraction narrower and has no stupid stitching.

Start at £25 in the sale for a Aliante Delta: http://www.condorcycles.com/Sale-Accessories/10885-Fizik-Aliante-Delta/flypage.tpl.html

swapped to aliante on my road bike and mtb.

up to £250 for a carbon one.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

Crumbs, maybe I’ve just been torturing myself. I wonder if it’s all down to one’s arse?

sambob
    Free Member

Really like the Fizik Arione on my Dads CX bike, but that’s £75 for a new one. Might try to find a Bel Air cheap and see how that goes.

drain

Interesting thread. I’ve got Ti railed WTB Rocket Vs on all my bikes except for one, which is a recently-acquired cro mo Spoon. Guess we’ll see how it goes, but so far (about 500 miles), so good!

sambob
    Free Member

I found mine very good for the first 12-16 months then it started to hurt. Will start my quest, cheers all.

Clink

On all my bikes; all still comfy, even a very old one.

camerone
    Free Member

Another in agreement with Restless native.
    used to have spoons, now have bel air ti railed on all bikes..

Stoner
    Free Member

interesting that those of us with a spoon arse also like the same other saddles.

I have a Ti WTB Rocket V on the pompino, SDG bel air on the commuter and brown cromo charge spoon on the MTB.

All still comfortable for now.

jameso

I used Velo 1205’s on some bikes for about 5 years (it’s the same base mold as the spoon) and thought they were pretty comfy. Then I used a WTB Laser V and that was a new level of comfort but a tad bulky. Used a Rocket V SLT and it’s perfect, narrow but super comfy, I just don’t get any discomfort from it. I’m a WTB convert now.

drain

@Stoner – time for a new STW niche – The Spoon/Rocket V/SDG Arses – and associated social ride 😀

(forgot to mention that I do occasionally resort (on short rides) to a SDG I-Beam, so yes, I fit that, er, pattern!)

rotten
    Free Member

Have now stopped trying various saddles. Bought a SDG Ti Fly, and for the first 4 or 5 rides it felt like sitting on a piece of wood, now love it for everything from short blasts to all day epics on both the hardtail and fullsusser. Not a weight weanie but an extra bonus is it only weighs around 185g!

epicyclo

SDG Formula FX

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Anyone found a Charge Spoon fairly comfy then found something better?’ is closed to new replies.