Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone fitted a towbar and electrics to an A4 Avant – idea of cost?
  • Brycey
    Free Member

Evening all

Anyone done this (newest shape) and have an idea of price; and can they recommend me anywhere in the NW?

Thanks

donsimon
    Free Member

No idea on cost, but Witters used to be the benchmark on quality.

tonyg2003

Alot of the cost depends on whether you go to an independent towbar fitter or a dealership and whether you want a basic towbar set up or electrics fully intergrated into the cars (stability) electrics and computer coding.

To give you some idea (same witter towbar)for my merc – almost £2K (yes that is right!)and £600 from an independent fitter (same towbar and wiring loom). A towbar without the Merc loom £300.

donsimon
    Free Member

(same towbar and wiring loom)

The same? As Witter manufacture their own towbars I am a bit surprised at such a price difference.

paddy0091
    Free Member

ha – sorry but this thread fits the ‘Surrey Hills mountain biker’ video too well.

Brycey
    Free Member

It was absolutely inevitable someone would post that, however it’s hard to get an idea of cost without naming the car. Without wanting to go down the usual path, I really don’t know what this forum’s beef is with Audi, BMW, etc. It gets a bit tedious.

I’m not after anything other than bog-standard, I just want a stub of metal to attach my rack to.

br
    Free Member

A standard Witter on a 5 series, £300 – no idea of dealer/BMW prices as it was just for a tow-bar rack.

lodious
    Free Member

I looked at VW / Ford towbars earlier this year, they are typically £320 for generic electronics or £550 for dedicated (i.e. the cars esp systems are aware your towing). PF Jones is a good place to start for pricing. Be careful that you don’t get a main dealer to charge £1000 for generic electronics, which is what our VW / Audi dealers were proposing (I was looking at an Audi at the time).

PF Jones are national, but think their head office is in Manchester…they appear to have a good rep, but never got to use them.

qwerty
    Free Member

Audi will take great pleasure in charging you £1400, online fitted at your home should be about £350

carlos
    Free Member

Try these guys http://www.northwesttowbars.co.uk/towbars.html if your round the Stockport area.

Brycey
    Free Member

Thanks fellas.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Local fitters to me fitted me a detachable wittier bar, with electrics, and coded with the car so that a trailer lights up on my dashboard when towing for £420.

Car is a Land Rover Freelander 2.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone fitted a towbar and electrics to an A4 Avant – idea of cost?’ is closed to new replies.