Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anyone familiar with the Cotswold Waterpark…Eaterie wanted..
  • tymbian
    Free Member

I’m after meeting up with my family on Sunday for my . Wife’s family coming also. As my family live in Devon & Somerset, my wife’s family in Banbury we are meeting at the Cotswold water park & beach but I’ve never been before. Can anyone recommend a good pub for food or possibly a pub that bbq’s?

What else us there to do…

Thanks

CountZero

Not familiar with the area myself, but the Red Lion, Cricklade seems well regarded by CAMRA in their good beer guide, it even has its own microbrewery! http://www.theredlioncricklade.co.uk

qwerty
    Free Member

Cirencester has a wide range of eateries, http://www.eat-wild.co.uk/ sounds good but I’ve never been. It’s close to me, but I don’t get out much!

dooosuk
    Free Member

Depends what you want. There’s a few options at the water park e.g.:

Pub onsite at the visitors centre:
    http://www.oldboathousepub.co.uk/pub-_2/

Lakeside Brasserie:
    http://www.lakeside-bar.co.uk/Lakeside-Brasserie.html

I’ve eaten at the Pub but not the brasserie. It was just standard food from what I can remember. Nothing special but not inedible.

I’m not local either, was just passing through.

IHN

As dooosuk said, the Boathouse and the Brasserie are both right at the lakes. I’ve not eaten in either, but I’m not suprised by dooos’s description.

Worth noting that the water park is tens of different lakes, the park and beach that you’re at is a different lake to the ones those two places are on.

Other options near to beach are the Elliot Arms in South Cerney, Bakers Arms in Somerford Keynes, Crown at Cerney Wick, various in Ashton Keynes and loads in Cirencester

Fwiw, I think Eat Wild is thouroughly up it’s own arse; expensive mediocre overhyped food, served in uncomfortable surroundings. Better choice is The Crown round the corner.

natrix
    Free Member

Does it have to be a pub? There’s a great cafe at The Gateway Centre and you can do some shopping in Cotswold camping next door 🙂

Visitor Information

scandal42
    Free Member

I’m on holiday in a cabin down here next week so this thread is perfectly timed.

Anyone have any top road rides around this area that they would like to share?

IHN

What else us there to do…

Sorry, missed this bit.

A number of the lakes have (unsurprisingly) water based activities (canoes, windsurfs, those stand up canoe things, pedaloes etc). Or there’s some lovely walks around the lakes.

Things To Do

In Cirencester there’s Cirencester Park (mahooosive parkland estate, plus there might be a polo match on if you’re lucky), the Abbey Grounds (big park in the centre of town, has good play park for young’uns, lake for duck/swan feeding purposes), Corinium museum (lots of old Roman shizzle).

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

The Green Dragon north of Cirencester. Lovely old place with top food. Cockleford is the place. (Snigger)

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

+1 The Green Dragon at Cowley, or drop by my place and I’ll rustle up a monster much sarnie. 😛

IHN

Will it be in a baguette?

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Hmmmm, I may even stretch to a big bap.

I may even add some brie and cranberry jelly with a rasher or two of crispy bacon. 😛

Defender
    Free Member

“There’s a great cafe at The Gateway Centre and you can do some shopping in Cotswold camping next door”

+1 for the Cafe in the Gateway Centre, been there a couple of times, sit outside by the water if the weather’s nice :-).

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Waterpark lowdown from a local!

Gateway cafe is fine, but packed over the summer and food is a bit pre-prepared cafe stuff.

Lakeside brasserie has the best burgers, ribs and other bbq fare! Also does roasts at the weekend. When weather is nice the terrace is a great place to watch waterskiing.

4 Pillars hotel food is v good, quite expensive, wife says spa also good, but often full of weddings.

Best pub nearby is the Wild Duck in Ewen (GL7 6BY) – great food and lovely location – I would go there for a family meal.

Best pub further away is the Tunnel House in Coates.

Food at the polo club in Ciren is not great, but polo watching is fun (usually free or £5 per car to get in).

Corinium museum in Ciren is worth a visit, as is the Roman amphitheatre. Shopping ok, farmers market can be good, but best one is in Stroud on a Saturday. The Lido in Ciren is great on a sunny day, and you can take a bbq. Walking in Ciren park is also lovely, but can be busy and ++ dog poo.

Best MTB riding is over toward Stroud and up to Cheltenham as water park is vv flat. Loads of roadie routes around though (not one myself, but friends are)

Water based fun = cable wakeboard is worth a go, boat based skiing is more expensive, stand up paddle boarding is good family fun.

Oasis in Swindon (indoor pool + waves with slides) looks tired, changing rooms a bit grim but is great fun for kids on a rainy day.

Hope that helps!

tymbian
    Free Member

The lakeside Brasserie sounds great BBQ, ribs. Roasts….something for everyone..
    Although I’m tempted by the monster munch/ bacon/ brie French stick…

Thanks for all the replies..

All the other recommendations will be noted..

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

If you do go to the Green Dragon, head on the old Cirencester to Cheltenham road then turn left to Cowley and Elkstone.

Real noice walk round the manor which is owned by some Sheikh or something.

Really is quite something, the grounds that is.

If you have an email, then I can send you some info on great pub rides/locations. 🙂

tymbian
    Free Member

@Hopeychondriact …Appreciated. my email addy is in my profile…

tymbian
    Free Member

I was unimpressed with the Burgers ( Jessie Smiths. . designer? ) at the Lakeside…other than that great setting, beer was cold & the staff polite..

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Sorry Tymbian, just noticed your reply.
    Hope it went well for you, your amble round this way.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anyone familiar with the Cotswold Waterpark…Eaterie wanted..’ is closed to new replies.