Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone experienced moving overseas with their dog? What preparations & cost?
  • Mof
    Free Member

Would like to hear any tips and potential problems with this.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

all depends where you are going and how friendly you are with your local vet (helps if you are a vet) Some airlines only accept pet travel agents on routes through SE Aisia. Dog has to go very direct.

Quotes to Oz were aroung 3k at the top end less as my SO(a vet) could do a lot of the paperwork and tests herself or at cost.

Toddboy
    Free Member

Agree with mikewsmith regarding costs to Oz. We did all the paperwork. Made sure our dog had all the correct vaccinations, had to be micro-chipped. Then we left her with the in-laws to put her on the flight, as we had to leave at fairly short notice due to work commitments. The in-laws liked the dog so much we decided to leave her back in the UK with them, 🙄

You really need to do some research as the process is not quick, and better to plan ahead.

PePPeR

It would help if you said where you are going of course!

One of my friends took his dog to France with him, he just left him in the car for the 4 hour crossing and didn't say a word to anyone, (he is a very quiet dog who just loves sleeping in the car anyway)

Mof
    Free Member

Slightly odd destination… Philippines, would be flying from Manchester probably on KLM. Dog is "only" a Chihuahua but I expect all preparation costs would be pretty similar regardless of pooch size.

john_drummer
    Free Member

My sister & her then husband emigrated to Canada in 1982, took a black lab with them. but that was a long time ago

mikewsmith
    Free Member

you will need a pet travel agent, dog prob not on same flight, need to buy cage mail me as we have s apare one might be right size

Gowrie
    Free Member

First port of call should be the Philippine authorities. How difficult it is paperwork-wise and pre export testing wise nearly entirely depends on the importing country's requirements. Embassy will know.

Colin

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone experienced moving overseas with their dog? What preparations & cost?’ is closed to new replies.