Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone ever serviced their SPD's?
  • BillyWhizz
    Free Member

my (left) pedal started creaking and was no longer turning smoothly. Removed pedal and it feels like the bearings that allow the pedal to rotate on the crank threads are gone.

Is this servicable, cost effective etc?

They are Shimano 747's

cheers

jond
    Free Member

I have done on the very first version of SPDs that came out in the early 90's – needed some fairly small spanners tho'.

Even if you open, clean, and repack them with grease, that's gotta be better than nothing.

KT1973
    Free Member

I believe there's a 'cheat' you can use here by removing the end cap and filling it with grease and putiing it on again, then repeating until the grease has been squeezed right through

ononeorange

Oddly enough cracked open my 540's (I think) for the first time at the weekend as one felt gritty after several years' use. I just undid the locknut on the shaft. Filled with grease and re-tightened – the vision of dirty grease being squeezed out is surpringly very satisfying – and it runs really smoothly now.

br
    Free Member

I think it was WMB that had an article in a few months back on how to service Shimano SPD's. I followed it, its easy and worth doing.

Someone online I guess…

Taff
    Free Member

I think MBR has done it in the past too. It's reasonably straight forward, better now that they have a hex bolt rather than the star nut they used to have.

cynic-al
    Free Member

The proper tool costs £15 and makes it a doddle.

Greasing by way of "grease in pedal body then screw axle assembly back in" is no cheat and if you can't adjust them is better than nothing. A soak/spin/dry in parafin (sp) etc will help.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Parafin or Diesel is magic stuff for cleaning driveline and greasy bearing parts. Love the stuff.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ever serviced their SPD's?’ is closed to new replies.