• This topic has 20 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by alpin.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Anyone ever sat in on PMQs?
  • Duffer
    Free Member

I found out the other day that peasants are allowed to sit in the Commons and observe parliamentary debates, such as PMQs. Thought that sounded like a really interesting day, so i’ve started enquiring about getting some tickets.

Anyone ever done it?

senorj

No ,but my mate’s dad did.
    You have to contact your local MP requesting a visit and they get you on the list,so to speak. I enjoy pmqt on the radio and would love to go one day too.

theotherjonv

Also something I’d like to do.

I know there’s a fair proportion of cockwombles among them, but in general most parliamentarians are bloody good orators. Charismatic, funny when necessary, clever….And irrespective of politics, Rees-Mogg and Farage seem to be among the best at that bit.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I’ve been yes , a friend worked at HP and got me tickets. I saw a condom stuffed with flour thrown at Tony Blair, good times!

takisawa2

Slightly different but we really enjoyed the self guided audio walking tour you can go on around parliament, on Saturdays & holidays. It’s got an amazing history.

chakaping
    Free Member

Can’t remember if it was PMQs but I went to the Commons press gallery when I was a journalism student in the mid-90s.

It was a nice experience, though I think the building made more of an impression on me than the politicians. Fascinating to see it in real life.

footflaps

Slightly different but we really enjoyed the self guided audio walking tour you can go on around parliament, on Saturdays & holidays. It’s got an amazing history.

We did the guided tour, well worth the £25 each fee…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Wanted to but never got it organized. It’s on my to do list. My MP does tours for constituent a few times a year.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

My old man used to work there (involved with TV broadcasting).
    Some interesting stories about what goes on amongst the MP’s

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Been to FMQs at Holyrood and …? At the Senedd a couple of times. Decent day out with a pint after si you can think about the language and point scoring

Duffer
    Free Member

Right, that’s the local MP contacted, so we’ll have to see what happens!

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Yeah I was given tickets by my local MP after tutoring her son for A level politics. They are extremely difficult to get for PMQs, if you contacted local MP you’d probably have to wait a while until you got some allocated. I received my letter confirming tickets in December for the following July. They only have a small number to give each week, I remember her saying it was only 3-4 but that wasn’t always guaranteed.

Duffer
    Free Member

Tickets are in; March the 29th. Looking forward to it!

allthepies
    Free Member

Yes, I’ve been. Got to sit in the part which isn’t where joe public are plonked behind plastic. Invite via an MP (friend of my Fathers), rather nice lunch in the members restaurant before hand too.

finbar
    Free Member

I’ve been in the box with work a few times – not PMQs, but other debates. Tad stressful 😆

Parliament do some fantastic outreach stuff, it’s well worth taking a look at their website to see what’s on.

wiggles
    Free Member

I went on a your of the building when i visited london, arranged with my local MP and his assistant showed us around was quite cool to see all the really old parts of the building etc

this was about 10 years ago, worst bit was a really arsey armed policeman on the checkpoint on the way in, had an argument with him about my hat (not allowed to wear a hat inside for security reasons apparently, said the man in a hat) 😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

Tickets are in; March the 29th. Looking forward to it!

Excellent. Let us know, I’ll be watching on TV

tang
    Free Member

Yes with school politics class, via MP. Got to see Maggie in action in her last months.

welshfarmer

Blimey. Went on the Houses of Parliament tour over 40 years ago on my first trip to London to see Tommy Steele in Hans Christian Anderson at the London Palladium. Now that was a big day out (and an eye opener) for a boy from the wilds of Wales 🙂

zokes
    Free Member

Done it in Oz. I’d probably recommend it, but if you think the telly makes their attitudes to each other look bad, seeing it in person really should leave you wanting to head to the nearest school playground to see some more intelligent and respectful debate.

alpin
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/HZPTZuwwHng[/video]

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ever sat in on PMQs?’ is closed to new replies.