• This topic has 24 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Anyone ever moved to new country, alone without knowing anyone?
  • smogmonster

A very lucrative opportunity has come up for me to move to a village close to Morzine…only problem, i'll be on my own, and know no-one out there. Frankly the thought scares the hell out of me, but the thought of having the whole of Morzine, Avoriaz, Les Gets, etc on my doorstep is rather exciting, and the chance may never come up again.
    So, has anyone ever done anything similar? If so, how did you go about getting to know people? I wont be working there (its a long, slightly confusing and dull story), so not sure how i'll go about getting to know anyone.
    Alternatively, does anyone live out that way on a permanent basis – the place i'll actually be living in is Saint Jean D'Aulps, if so, can you offer any advice?

druidh
    Free Member

I moved to England without knowing anyone. The best bit was sharing a flat with some other guys as I quickly got to know lots of people, got invited to parties etc.

Also – look for clubs etc. where folk have a common interest.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Sounds exciting.

I stayed in Saint Jean D'Aulps for a week's skiing a few years ago and to be honest it was a fairly boring village.

Morzine is lovely but I'm sure you know that already.

Good luck!

Stoner
    Free Member

Saint jean d'aulps is a nice cheap spot to be based in! 😉

at least youre not far from Champion…
    I love morzine (lucky to have a mate who has a couple of apartments there so go regularly), its so very friendly and cosmopolitan, you cant help but make mates, especially in the off season.

Go for it.

[OEGGVjWF]
    Free Member

I would love to be able to sod off completely on my own tommorow from here to a place where I didn't know anybody. It'd be even better if I didn't have to get to know anybody while I was there either.
    Just the most basic of contact with people such as buying stuff in shops and nothing else. That would be cool and fine for me.

yetiguy
    Free Member

Moved to this country from south Africa 10 years ago not knowing anyone. Wife , 2 kids 4 suitcases and a couple of grand!

Makes life interesting.

peachos
    Free Member

massive ex-pat community in morzine – i'd go for it if i had the chance!

amplebrew

I moved from the UK to the Isle Of Man in 2006 without knowing anyone. I moved over with my wife and it's obviously an english speaking country, so a slighty different scenario.

However my wife initially didn't get comfy with the move and wanted to go back after 12 months.

I on the other hand was loving it and fitted in straight away.

I think that there were 2 reasons for this….

1) My wife was very very close to her family, so she missed them lots.
    2) I was keen on cycling and motorbikes, so met loads of people through my hobbies.

All of our friends have been met through cycling, motorbikes or work.

My best advice to you is, where ever you move to; embrace their culture and way of life. Get involved with as many local activites as possible, no matter if it's the local pub quiz or a cycling club 🙂

GJP
    Free Member

I moved to the Big Apple in my early 30's as a single bloke following a bad relationship. Didn't know a soul when I went but I did know that there was a fairly large exPat community where I was working.

Lucrative opportunity? What have you to lose?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Are you **** mental? Doooooooooooooo Ittttttttttttttttt……………

Curly68
    Free Member

I went to live and work in the South of France in '96. Didn't know anyone or the person I was to work for. At the airport I didn't know who to look for when he picked me up!
    If you stay indoors, you will never meet anyone. Get out and about have a few beers and find new friends. This country is going down the pan so grab this with both hands. Good luck!

iDave
    Free Member

I left Ireland at 17 on a motorbike with a rucksack, lived in a caravan in north wales, found some work to supplement my dole and got to know people in the village, stayed a year. It's what you make it. I'd jump at the chance.

andrewh
    Free Member

Moved to Scotland (OK only 300 miles so not as much as you), only knew 2 people within 50 miles.

Joined the local running club, some of the best friends I've ever made. Best advice is a find a bunch of like minded people and get involved.

SaxonRider

Moved to the Caribbean for a year. It was difficult, but worth it.

The international language of a shared hobby (MTBing) will help you immensely.

amplebrew

Better to have a go than never know.

user-removed
    Free Member

Just do it. On a slightly smaller scale…. I took a job in Inverness on spec. Knew no-one, slept on the floor of the clinic I was setting up and managing. Had a microwave, a bike, a guitar and not much else – loved it!

Spent most evenings in the local beer garden reading books, listening to the local folk dudes doing their thing and chatting to the regulars. Made friends with a few of the tradesmen who were in doing work at the clinic and had a few good nights out with them.

And the riding was fantastic (on my one day a week off)!

Did it again when I came to Sunderland Uni about eight years ago.

theyEye
    Free Member

Whenever I get bored I move country for a few years. Three times so far without knowing anyone, of which twice without knowing the language, of which once with just a back pack.

It's fun to start clean.

Best ways to meet people in my experience are to take a course and/or to live in a shared house. Courses in particular, and full time if you can afford it (in evening ones people are more likely to be tired, less communicative, and looking forward to going home). Doesn't matter what it's about…

mogrim

Flew to Madrid on a one-way ticket, still here 14 years later. Beware, you may end up with a wife / 2 kids / mortgage / dog / cat / and turtles, don't ask me how I know.

Not sure if that counts as a recommendation or not, tbh.

R979
    Free Member

Moved to the UK from Australia without knowing anyone. Turned out OK. Once I'd got enough money together to get a bike I met most people through cycling.

BigJohn

I don't think I've ever spent more than 3 days in my life when I haven't been with somebody I know. In total.

alanw2007

Yes, once to USA and again to Japan, and now have good friends in both locations as well as back home in the UK. Obviously it takes a bit of initial effort to meet people, either through biking or other activities like language exchange but it is well worth it. I would jump at the chance to live in St. Jean d'Aulp!

tootallpaul

I moved to Ethiopia in February to start a 2 year placement with the VSO. Not a big ex pat community here in Awassa, but I am making friends all the time.

Admittedly there are other volunteers in town, so I'm not flying completely solo.

I just say if you don't go for it, you may come to regret it later- and regrets are not worth it.

And as I often say- it is always good to put yourself outside your comfort zone…

darrell
    Free Member

I moved to Switzerland (Zurich) in 2002 by myself. It was fantastic. I met some wonderful new friends and had a great time. You've gotta through yourself into the local culture and learn the local language. I moved to Norway in 2007.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I don't think I've ever spent more than 3 days in my life when I haven't been with somebody I know. In total.

But you've got to get to know them in the first place!

DrJ

As others have said, joining a club of some sort is really a great way to meet people and also to improve your language skills, which IMO is absolutely key. Relying on foreigners to speak English (even if they can) or living in an expat community is really a waste of time, I think.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ever moved to new country, alone without knowing anyone?’ is closed to new replies.