Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Anyone elses Reverb go slow in the cold?
  • qwerty
    Free Member

My old 100mm one was always fast to return with a solid clunk at the top.

My new 125mm one seems to make its way slowly back to the top without the clunk.

Dial at fast, 250psi & bled.

Spoke to TFT who said it’s a known thing in the cold and it’s oil viscocity slowing it down. Only fix is to convert it to a cable remote.

Apart from the speed, it’s fine, just wondering how many others out there are affected.

matt_outandabout

Eldest_OAB’s push switch thing gets really slow in the cold.

rob1984p
    Free Member

Not a Reverb but maybe of interest nonetheless; both my KS posts go slow in the cold.

bgascoyne
    Free Member

yep! mine is like a turtle when its chilly outside!

chilled76
    Free Member

My KS one does. Think the bushings must tighten up a bit as they contract. the pressurised air will contract more than ambient too meaning the spring isn’t pushing as hard. Relative pressure.

teethgrinder

As said above, oil viscosity increases with lower temp, but so does the lubricating grease between inner and outer shaft.

With my Reverb it’s very noticeable when I bring the bike into the house when the wife is at work. After a few hours, the post rockets up (and easier to get down as well) and the button requires less force to push in.

I don’t think it’s an issue specifically cured by converting to a cable actuator, as the Ascend XL does this as well, and the Reverb has separate circuits for actuation and ‘damping’.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Mine has also been slow recently, glad I never removed it/bled it (but am sure I will have to at some point). Interesting point about the oil viscosity.

it’s very noticeable when I bring the bike into the house when the wife is at work

Glad it’s not just me…

bedmaker

Yep

Yetiman
    Free Member

Nope, both of mine work the same all year round. Was out last night in -5deg temps and the post went up and down the same speed as always. Mine are early non stealth versions if that makes any difference.

mildbore

Yep. But not always

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Glacial here when-23c

Trimix
    Free Member

My fork suspension also gets a little stiffer in really freezing conditions.

Its physics.

mintimperial

Pressure in the line is how the Reverb actuation speed is controlled, so if there’s air in the line it will contract when cold, reducing pressure and slowing things down. Maybe a small leak in the remote line if bleeding isn’t fixing it, I dunno?

Reverbs in good working order seem to work fine for me down to well below zero though.

philjunior
    Free Member

As others have said, the oil viscosity explanation doesn’t mean a remote cable would solve the problem, if the system is properly bled.

It implies that something (air or fluid) in the actuator is contracting, and not lifting the poppet up in one as much as the other.

My best suggestion would be to either perform a bleed in the cold (making sure you follow all the instructions – particularly winding out to slow prior to bleeding) or with chilled fluid, and check carefully for any leaks.

Of course it could be a combination of the fluid becoming more viscous in the post and fluid in the remote contracting or your 125mm one just not being bled properly/having a small leak.

Does it return fast in the warm?

qwerty
    Free Member

Oh joy, 6 degrees today, maybe zero with the wind chill and it’s taking 15 seconds to rise and about 3-5 seconds to lower with difficulty. Its going back, it’s only 3 or 4 rides old and I didn’t buy into that performance, my old one was great (after teething problems). I’m tempted to ask for a refund and get a Brand X.

darrenspink
    Free Member

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 12px; background-color: #eeeeee;”> I’m tempted to ask for a refund and get a Brand X.</span>

Thats what I did, well sold the reverb anyway. Been happy on my cold rides ever since.

stevextc
    Free Member

Mine didn’t like cold (or wet)….
    It was more trouble than any other item on my bike and messing about with it was more time consuming than doing a fork lowers and aircan service on a nearly weekly basis.

Thought of getting a full service but at half the price of a brand new one it didn’t feel attractive.

Swapped for a Thomson (my XMAS present) … that has required no faffing over.

tdog
    Free Member

Why not just convert to a cable one, due to it being known that oil acts differently in different temperatures.

fossy

15 seconds – send it back. I have an X-fusion HILO SL which only runs on 18 PSI, and it’s not a fast post, but it raises in about 2-3 seconds.

qwerty
    Free Member

The current problematic one is a 120mm version, my previous 100mm version was unaffected by the cold, so there’s something amiss somewhere.

Converting a Reverb to cable operated is around £80 if I remember my conversation with TFTuned properly. A Brand X post is £100 (also the cost of a Reverb service once you factor in postage!), so it’s a no brainer.

singlespeedstu

For anyone looking to convert their Reverb to cable Bikeyoke have discounts on ATM

The basic kit can be had for 50EUR

https://www.bikeyoke.de/en/remotes/reverb-dehy/

qwerty
    Free Member

Bikes been in the house to warm up and it’s back to a rapid return. Really not impressed by this, it’s useless outside at this time of year.

martinhutch

Yep, that probably explains why my Bikeyoke is a bit sluggish at the mo.

davewalsh
    Free Member

Mine (latest B1 version, non-stealth) has gone slow in the current temperature. Took it to Florida for a week over Christmas and it was fine, back here in Jan and it’s slow again. I put it down to being designed in California and not Lancashire. Funilly enough, never had the same problem with the older version.

asbrooks

As a reverb and others rely on air pressure for it’s operation, any drop in temperature or increase for that matter will effect it’s function. This is related to Charles’ Law.

<span style=”color: #222222; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 14px;”>This law describes how a gas expands as the temperature increases; conversely, a decrease in temperature will lead to a decrease in volume.</span>

So when it’s cold you need to add a bit more pressure.

kayak23

<div class=”bbp-reply-author” style=”margin: 0px 12px; padding: 0px; border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-image: initial; outline: 0px; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; display: flex; justify-content: flex-start; float: none; text-align: center; width: unset; min-height: 0px; position: relative; color: #444444; font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’, Helvetica, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; border-color: initial initial #cccccc initial; border-style: initial initial dotted initial;”>qwerty
    <div class=”bbp-author-role” style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 12px; vertical-align: baseline; background: transparent; display: flex; justify-content: flex-start; float: none; width: unset; flex: 0 1 auto;”>
    <div class=”” style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background: transparent;”>Member</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content” style=”margin: 0px; padding: 4px 12px 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; clear: both; color: #444444; font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’, Helvetica, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;”>
    <p style=”padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: unset; vertical-align: baseline; background: transparent; line-height: 1.5rem; margin: 1rem 0px !important;”>Bikes been in the house to warm up and it’s back to a rapid return. Really not impressed by this, it’s useless outside at this time of year.</p>
    All of mine, 3 reverbs return very quick and they all love in a garage. Must be something wrong going on.

</div>

stevextc
    Free Member

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 12px;”>Converting a Reverb to cable operated is around £80 if I remember my conversation with TFTuned properly. A Brand X post is £100 (also the cost of a Reverb service once you factor in postage!), so it’s a no brainer.</span>

Yep and a brand new reverb is £200 … I got the new Thomson for about £250 …. or you could get a whole load of other choices of dropper.

At the end of the day, it’s a dropper … and my reverb required more love and attention than a newborn baby.

Maybe changing the remote (for another) or changing to cable would sort out some problems.

Maybe the seals needed changing… so I don’t need to do the seat off to check pressure… etc. and the bushings could be changed and minimise the play… but all those together is more than just buying a new one.  Just extending something that plagued me …

I’ve no idea if the issues are old vs new .. A vs B vs “totally redesigned” but I suspect its more down to batches and individual droppers.  Some work well .. others get plagued with problems and its just luck of the draw..

Radioman

I found my reverb very slow in the cold in fact so poor that the logical thing was to fit a standard seat post on my hardtail .  . Saved hassle and weight . Did that a few years ago Now I just use the adjustable posts on my full suspension bikes that come out in better weather!

warpcow
    Free Member

Nothing new to add really, just that it shouldn’t go that slowly even when cold. Mine gets slower in -10 (2-3secs return, greater effort need to push it down), but still remains functional. Maybe it’s the new internals. Mine’s an original 2011 that just gets a service on the couple of occasions it’s failed.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Anyone elses Reverb go slow in the cold?’ is closed to new replies.