Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Anyone else struggle with Twitter?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Not in terms of why would you, who cares, and all that. But in terms of understanding what’s going on? Maybe it’s lack of familiarity, but I struggle to work out who is replying to who, and there seems to be a lot of duplication.

richpips
    Free Member

I get it, but this link seems to cover most things.

http://www.momthisishowtwitterworks.com/

thegreatape
    Free Member

Thanks. I will still have to read that more than once. Probably like a lot of things it would become much clearer through using it.

kayak23

I stopped using it. Never really gelled with it at all. Like you, can’t always see wtf is happening with replies etc.

Can’t seem to get past all the @ at the start of everything and hashtags and all that shizzle. I seem to read the symbols out in my head instead of glossing over. 🙂

I prefer Instagram now as it’s much more visual, but the excessive hashtags kind of annoy.

#abitannoyed #twitterisabitrubbish
    #excessivehashtags #neverreallygelled

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

#yourenotmeanttoreadthehashtags

seadog101

I’ve only ever used it to get in touch with companies for a bit of a complaint, problem solving etc.

Airlines in particular seem to acknowledge complaints over twitter very promptly.

The earpads on my headphones had started to fall apart, so I posted a picture of them, lo and behold, replacement earpads on the way.

It’s a very public way to let the world know about poor service.

trail_rat
    Free Member

not being daan with the kids ive never got into twitter….or instagram etc.

crankboy
    Free Member

I end up in exchanges with nutters or people with a different view point who think I’m a nutter that go on for days , it is an interesting but limiting discipline to condense arguments to 140 characters or less . but like any other argument on the internet ultimately frustrating and pointless .Are aguwd with an American believer in near death experiences as proof of god , refuted accurately some of his starting points with evidence but ultimately failed to change his views , only to later stumble over him arguing with another person from the exact same starting points.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

^

Sounds fantastic!

wwaswas

I love it.

It’s just so eclectic if you follow a range of people with different interests.

I tend to steer clear of the political stuff because there’s too many idiots using anonymity to attack.

I think the thing to accept is that you can’t read all of it once you follow more than a few dozen people.

If you have ‘real’ friends on there you can start a list to keep track of what they’re saying (so it’s like a facebook group). For the rest just let the world arrive on your screen and admire the variety and depth of human experience.

Lastly, I follow a number of news organisations and actually tend to use them to access both breaking/current news as well as comment pieces. I’d never have read al-jazeera, the WSJ or NY Times without twitter. Russia Today proved to be a bit of a stretch, though.

[exit] An example – most recent item in my feed is this image. From @archillect which is a stream of random images that punctuate my timeline every hour.

wwaswas

Oh and then this;

Historic accord reached in bum-washing bidet toilet UI conventions

https://boingboing.net/2017/01/17/historic-accord-reached-in-bum.html

What’s not to like?

Jamie
    Free Member

not being daan with the kids ive never got into twitter….or instagram etc.

You shouldn’t limit yourself for silly reasons like that. Of course kids are going to be using it, but adults also can. For example, here’s an example of something that popped up on my timeline in the last 12 hrs.

It’s all about who you follow. Also, I find certain apps present it better than others. I recommend Tweetbot if you’re on iOS, and Fenix for Android.

welshfarmer

You are not alone. I use it. But have no idea how it works!

wwaswas

Some of twitter in a single image:

the-muffin-man

Anyone else struggle with Twitter?

Yep!

I get on fine with FB and Instagram – but Twitter is a jumbled mess IMO.

I follow a few people in F1, but I seem to get loads of other posts shown from people I don’t follow and don’t want to follow.

Even the kids don’t use it. Snapchat is the biggy for them.

wwaswas

Snapchat is the biggy for them

but that’s like saying my kids use a telephone and not a loudhailer.

Snapchat is a private chat group, not a public one.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

wwaswas, isn’t that Junkyard? 😉

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Some of twitter in a single image:

TJ looks a bit different in that picture? 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

Oddly. I have never tried instagram or Facebook.

wwaswas

isn’t that Junkyard?
    TJ looks a bit different in that picture?

It’s probably all of us 🙂

funkmasterp

Never used it or facebook either. This place is really the only form of social media I use. I’ve occasionally looked at Mrs Funkmaster’s Facebook and it just appears to be people sharing inane things from their private lives.

Each to their own, but I just don’t get it. Luckily for me my main group of friends are the same. Sharing playlists and recommending albums on Deezer is about as far as we go.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s probably all of us

No it isn’t.

😉

Jamie
    Free Member

and it just appears to be people sharing inane things from their private lives.

So exactly like this place?

funkmasterp

So exactly like this place?

😀 this place has more in the way of arguments, Comedy, decent advice, bikes and log burners though.

It’s probably all of us
    No it isn’t.

Oh yes it is! 🙂

wwaswas

Troll level: Grand Master

If you don’t see this as a reason why Twitter deserves some of your attention it’s really not for you…

https://twitter.com/i/moments/821470581287686144

ads678

I turned 40 last year so decided I need to chose between continuing to wear jeans or social media*. I prefer jeans, I already know how to work them.

*not including educational media like this place!!

thegreatape
    Free Member

I don’t for one minute doubt it’s value for countless people. I have hardly ever been on, just occasionally, as some organisations seem to respond more quickly – in general, not to me – on twitter than they do on facebook. I imagine familiarity is the key.

BigDummy
    Free Member

If you don’t see this as a reason why Twitter deserves some of your attention it’s really not for you…

I am happy with that. 🙂

flannol
    Free Member

I use it to speak to companies

I check if they reply to people on twitter (easy to see) first

It’s usually very good/easy customer support

You can just ping them a question and expect a response from someone intelligent (companies hire intelligent people for social media support) within a few hours – a day

Do it ALL the time

Best use I reckon.

scud
    Free Member

I find Facebook best for staying in touch with family and friends, but the number of adverts these days hacks me off, and no i don’t want to be friends with Mark Zuckerberg!

Twitter i find best for following sports, people of interest, favourite breweries! and the like, lots of articles on there that you can access.

spawnofyorkshire

I got bored with twitter after a year or so, I find I jump on instagram first to see something interesting and then facebook to see what made up bulls**t quote overlain on a stock photo someone shared

trail_rat
    Free Member

yeah but jamie – i read about claire on saturday through medium other than twatter.

Impressive lass.

We are bombarded with shit from all angles these days is my opinion on the matter.

Jamie
    Free Member

yeah but jamie – i read about claire on saturday through medium other than twatter.

Why you gotta do that, man?

Just makes you sound like a grumpy old bastard who isn’t willing to engage with anything outside of their comfort zone.

bencooper
    Free Member

Twitter is great – where else could this happen?

trail_rat
    Free Member

I have a twitter account , i use it to follow updates on long distance races where twitter seems to be the only place they get reported.

But i still dont get 90% of the crap that i get emails saying such and such has posted xyz shite on twitter or retwitted.

I like dave gormans analysis of twitter my self. He did it on one of his modern life is goodish shows.

Jamie
    Free Member

You can turn all the email notification stuff off. I just get alerted when someone messages me directly. I can understand why getting all the default ones would piss you off.

https://twitter.com/settings/notifications

oldtalent
    Free Member

Yes dont see the point. It kept dinging my phone & emailing me about stuff im not interested in. I would worry that if I tried to speak to someone via it, it would go to the world rather than to just them.

allthegear
    Free Member

It depends largely on whether the people you want to talk with use it as to whether it “works”.

As a web developer, I doubt I could live without it, to be honest – pretty much everything seems to happen via twitter, even getting work. I gave up on Linked In for that ages ago. Not a Facebook user, either.

@rachel_norfolk

Jamie
    Free Member

It kept dinging my phone & emailing me about stuff im not interested in

Just turn off the notifc….oh what’s the point 😉

mefty
    Free Member

I don’t struggle with it – I think I probably use it differently to many. I am an egg, but use my real name. I dont cultivate followers, which is just as well as I only have four, but these include Free Iran and someone who writes in Spanish which is nice. I do use it to follow a few people, only 30, who aren’t incessant tweeters and dont repeat the same tweet all day, so there isn’t much to read. It is very good for following sports team, the mighty Huddersfield Town and Yorkshire county cricket are followed. The rest are a mix of people who either link to interesting stuff or alert me to what is happening in subjects I am interested in. I had a good argument with Brian Moore, some nice chats with Jonathan Agnew and David Walsh.

Twitter is the only platform I use as it is ideal for Blackberries. When on a computer I use Tweetdeck and follow some public lists which gives me a wider variety of voices, but these arent read so fully.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else struggle with Twitter?’ is closed to new replies.