Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 104 total)
  • Anyone else really really really not appreciate football?
  • Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

if a player earns £50,000 per week, or around £2.5m a year, at the moment his take-home pay is a shade under £30,000 per week, When the 50p tax rate came in, he will be around £4,000 per week worse off playing in England than in Spain, where there are no planned tax rises. these poor lads are putting there heart and sole into raising the profile of our country,there law abiding citizens. that thrive on family values work hard for a living. and don't go round rubbing it in peoples faces, they never seem above the law, and always show respect for there fellow man/woman. are you sure theres nothing to like about football.

but on a serious note as far as the government /tax man is concerned last years tax bill from 08/09 was around £117,000,000 million, factor into that all the members of the public paying at the gates and sky tv paid nearly £1.7billion for the tv rights for 5 yrs. the b.b.c paid over £120,000,000 just to show highlights the wage bill is expected to go past the £2billion mark, you then start to realise why football is everywhere,there is so much money in it/and so much has been invested,that its here to stay weather you and i like it or not.
    its all about the green always has always will….
    mb

neilforrow

over hyped, media and advertising controlled, fixed theater for the ITV watching, Icland "a tonne of sausage roles for £1" buying, muppets. A so called sport.

the whole thing is over rated, loved by people who have nothing else to look forward to. Take away the offside rule and put a wage cap sysem in place. lets have basketball scores….

Its a waste of time. A replacement for religion for people who have, nothing else to believe in other than a team miles way, while they moan about not getting a job cause of immigration and how england has gone to the dogs….

stereotype… yep got it in one… to the people who play it, 5-a-side and the like… good on em' at least they are enjoying themseles.

I blame ITV. they just keep pedaling that cr@p

twunts.

coogan
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    coogan, you forgot road bikes!

Even though you own a fully panniered, muidguarded commuter OMG111WTF

That bike is teh awesum. 8)

mushrooms
    Free Member

It's utterly boring to watch imo. And seeing people shouting at a screen in a pub is weird. 😀

D0NK

…just like people who can name every model that 'X' mountain bike maker has produced – we're all sad in our own little ways!

No it's not, we don't just hang around talking endlessly about the minutiae of it, we get out there and actually do the sport we love.

Oh hang on a minute, I've made a very big assumption there haven't I?

Junkyard
    Free Member

how would I know what your eyes look like I would need to be in front of you to have some idea of that.
    Surely most people on here irde at least sometimes ….surely

Mackem

I like football and mountain bikes. I dont care about the money the players make, they are the best at the worlds most poplular sport. Just like the best businessmen get rewarded so are they. I certainly wouldnt say no to their earnings. The pseudo-intellectual claptrap that a lot of people talk about "football losing it´s roots" and "football not being interesting due to the money in the game" is just jealousy I think.

D0NK

And seeing people shouting at a screen in a pub is weird.

Hmm
    Emotionally repressed? Otherwise 100% heterosexual "you looking at me funny?" manly men who never cry or indeed have feelings, have a kiss and a cuddle and a bit of a cry all the time at a football game it seems.
    or
    Releasing built up stress, between work, daily car commute and the boozer there's no chance for letting off some steam through exercise. (I know I get a bit nowty if I've not been riding) So for your stereotypical brit you've only really got road rage, closing time punch up or shouting at the telly.

theotherjonv

I love football. Get over it.

aP
    Free Member

Errr…… No not really, I don't let any thoughts like that cross my mind because I might think about footbal maybe 5 or 6 times a year when I can't avoid it. I'm not jealous of them 'cause they've not got anything I could be jealous about.

Jamie
    Free Member

I like watching football yet still manage to be a reasonably rounded human being.

Oh the horror!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I have to say, in a way, I like football. it's a great game to play and can be brilliant to watch.

BUT

What I don't like it the average lifestyle and person that goes with it – Voilent, blinkered, dumb, beer swilling, sexist, racist, chavs with severe attitude problems in general.

I've tried it, decided it wasn't for me, and ducked out.

Jamie
    Free Member

What I don't like it the average lifestyle and person that goes with it – Voilent, blinkered, dumb, beer swilling, sexist, racist, chavs with severe attitude problems in general.

…was the bit i meant to post as well. Broad strokes, but seen some nasty stuff go down that i never witnessed following Tigers.

…well apart from on the field obviously 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

its a just bit poo really

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

yet still manage to be a reasonably rounded human being

spherical in fact :o)

I rate footy as way more interesting than curling, but you'd still have to pay me a lot of money to watch it.

miketually
    Free Member

I like the reaction from people when you tell them that you don't like football. It's like you've told them you enjoy midget goat pron or eating your own faeces.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It's like you've told them you enjoy midget goat pron or eating your own faeces.

to be fair they do sound like more fun 🙂

ds3000
    Free Member

If it wasn't for football we wouldn't have had this though..

goonie
    Free Member

played football for about 12 years until i ruptured my cruciate ligament about 2 years ago! watched every game that was on telly i knew all the stats then i got a mtb, well this is when it all changed Im now not as my dad used to say a "glory hunter" all I want to do is ride my bike,and if I watch anything now I prefer rugby! forgot all about football and it doesnt intrest me anymore,

nacho
    Free Member

Peter Poddy + 1.
    I like football, great to play and entertaining to watch. I went to Exeter City v Leeds a couple of weeks ago. A couple of lads with northern accents were strolling up the street, suddenly some guy comes running at them, punches one of them in the head then shouts for his mates to get the northern wa**ers. If the police hadn't turned up sharpish they would have probably got a right beating. Too many neanderthals.

redthunder
    Free Member

World Cup is OK

Prefer playing Sensible Soccer on the PC or SNES

Jamie
    Free Member

redthunder:

Prefer playing Sensible Soccer on the PC or SNES

How is the nineties?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Too many neanderthals.

I believe the Neanderthals were very placid which is why wel killed them all 🙁

juan
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

I'd happily see soccer banned
    See what you've done I have to agree with the blue blood man now…

nacho
    Free Member

LOL @ SFB, I'm still quite new on here and hadn't been pulled up yet, I had guessed it would be him or TJ first to spot any mistake I may make!

geoffj

What a dull place the world STW would be if we all liked the same things.

In many instances its nothing more than inverse snobbery. I can't wait for the World Cup – it's gonna be brilliant!

redthunder
    Free Member

@Jamie

Still the best football game out there 🙂

Better than Fifa x and PES y.

handyman
    Free Member

22 overpaid men kicking a bag of wind about, living here in the usa everybody presumes that i like or care about soccer, as it so named over here,they just dont get the fact i no interest in watching sport of anysort on tv or talking about it

zaskar
    Free Member

Oi, leave roadbikes out of this cynical-Al.

Footy is ok, I would go to a match or start chanting like a chav blue army etc.

MOT'd or the cup games I might have in the background while doing some work.

Not everyone likes riding bikes either so all nobody gets bored.

Thank god not everyone likes riding.

vrapan
    Free Member

Can't stand football but am also one of those types for whom sitting watching sports equals to just a great amount of torture.

ononeorange

Can't stand football but am also one of those types for whom sitting watching sports equals to just a great amount of torture.

+1

kaesae
    Free Member

A sport that makes more sense the drunker you are! Mercenaries that sell their skills for a fortune and brain washed idiots that will pay over prices admission fees and allow their state of mind to be determined by events they cannot control.
    I think football Rocks!!! What do you think they would be doing if they didn’t watch it? Every time they landed a jump they would be grabbing at their crotches or pulling funny faces and that kind of sh1ts bound to cause accidents.

As for all the well invested money in stadiums when we can’t even get uplifts or decent facilities while theme parks open up all over Europe and the world.
    God bless grown men who talk about other men playing with their balls all the time!

mikertroid
    Free Member

I dislike watching most TV sports as I'd rather be out there doing it myself.

BUT football is for chavs. The players argue with the ref and the general air is very uncouth.

But if it stops the chavs from burgling my house on a weekend if I'm out riding whilst a match is on then fair play!! A further bonus is that it keeps the roads clear if there's a big match on. Long live footy!

Dancake
    Free Member

People enjoy all sorts of sports and good luck to them
    (I like to watch a test match myself)

Trouble is that football seems more rammed-down-your-throat than the others so If (like me) you hate it it can be pretty damn annoying. Its on the TV, its on my radio at work, its all over the papers and people are even arguing about the game in the locker room.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I hate football, always have. Its a thugs sport played by thugs and watched by thugs IMO.

I used to have to take clients to Liverpool FC on a regular basis where we had seats. I hated every minute of it, well the food before hand was always nice but the football bit and having to talk about / listen to football stuff for the SATURDAY!!! (when I should have been at home)was crap.

The language is terrible from the players and fans which upsets me a bit. Myself and daughter were at a local amateur football game (we rode past on our bikes and my girl wanted to stop and watch it for a bit and it was free to go in etc) and I can only say how disgusted I was at the players bad language. FOUL.

My brother hates football more than i do and he once got out of a taxi just 4 minutes into the journey because the driver wouldn't stop talking about football and kept asking what team he supported etc. he got fed up saying things like, "I hate football, have no interest in, know nothing about etc etc" so he asked to stop and got out. 😀

TheSlider
    Free Member

Can't believe nobody has pointed out this is totally in the wrong section. What's this got to do with a Bike Forum ?
    Not only that but if you do go down the pub surely you talk about all sorts of things – really INTERESTING things….like politics, bin men only picking up every other week, snow, rain, BBC, etc.. Football doesn't seem so bad now, does it ?

ds3000
    Free Member

I don't like football anymore, I did until watching Everton capitulate in dire fashion to Sporting Lisbon. What a ridiculous game, I don't see how people can get so worked up about it, ooooh, I'd much rather spend my precious time writing disparaging remarks on internet forums.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

In many instances its nothing more than inverse snobbery.

no, I just hate it for its own sake 🙂 But that's OK, I don't have to watch

i_am_JC
    Free Member

I love football! I (read my Dad) pays a small fortune to watch the Villa when I should be doing something more productive. It gives me something to do on a lazy afternoon, and something to talk about in the pub.

I've got my ticket for the final on sunday and love the camaraderie that comes from singing in the stands and having a laugh with people on a saturday you'd never otherwise speak to.

Whilst I understand that people aren't interested in it, I don't understand why people go out of their way to let people know they don't like football. Jeez, I've got better things to do than discuss "What tyres for…" so why shouldn't I spend my time doing things I enjoy? Or does the fact that I like football mean that I'm no longer good enough for STW?

mafiafish
    Free Member

No problem with the game just the minority of players that spoil it and act as bad examples. Also "football culture" is a bit of an eyesore. As long as they are paying taxes I don't really mind that they're earning disproportionate amounts. Most of that money comes from companies wanting to sponsor/buy rights and people going to enjoy watching a match and surely it's better that that money gets a proportion of it back into the treasury than being spent on cali-spesh, kestrel super or in the case of the sponsors, sat in some swiss bank account.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else really really really not appreciate football?’ is closed to new replies.