Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone else ordered a RaceFace Narrow/Wide now they are in stock?
  • stevied
    Free Member

Been waiting ages for these to land so that I can go 1 x 10. Finally CRC have some 30T in stock.
    Anyone else giving one a go?
    Usual ride tomorrow night could be a test if it arrives in time and I can get it changed over 🙂

Gordymac
    Free Member

Yep ordered one yesterday. Dropping from a 32 to a 30. Its pretty steep and rocky where we ride but I can manage most of the stuff here but some of it is a major effort. 30 should be more manageable.

Could have both Renthal and Hope 32t rings for sale soon!

plyphon
    Free Member

Any advantage to these over a Works Components thick/thin?

(other than 30t)

plyphon
    Free Member

lol they’ve literally fallen out of stock in the time it took to write that above post

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I run a Wolftooth 30T, NW chainrings are awesome.

vinnyeh

I’ve one on order. Loads of places seem to have them in stock, but colours and sizes seem to vary from store to store.

richen987
    Free Member

fitted mine last night, seems to work fine on my ride round the block.

pictonroad

Been riding one a few weeks, very impressed with it so far, did the Bonty 24 without mishap and some reet roots bits locally.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ordered one for each of the ht and fs from tweeks cycles today, seem to be one of the few places that had 32t in stock.

Rik
    Free Member

When’s the rocket arriving Greg?

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Will these work with a normal rear mech or do you really need a clutched one?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Will these work with a normal rear mech or do you really need a clutched one?

PinkBike seemed to get on fine without a guide or a cluthed mech on a hardtail. YMMV though.

SiB
    Free Member

pinkbike take on nw chainring & no clutch……….

Performance

We fit the Race Face Narrow Wide ring to a few different types of cranks and bikes – everything from a 150mm travel Scott Genius to a hardtail – in order to check for any chain line or interference issues, as well as to test the Narrow Wide’s ability to keep the chain in place without the support of a clutch-equipped derailleur. As for the first two concerns, there proved to be no issues with alignment or with the ring not sitting on the crank tabs correctly. The offset mounting, which is required by the smaller diameter 30 tooth size, allowed the chain to sit just inside the crank’s tabs, with no jamming or clearance problems to

report. The spacer caps also make for a nice, clean setup that doesn’t look cobbled together like many of the single ring setups out there – no weird spacers or funky hardware required.

The real question, though, is if we dropped the chain while using the Narrow Wide ring. It wasn’t that long ago that we couldn’t imagine using a single ring setup without a chain guide of some sort, and while the narrow/wide shaping of chainring teeth is certainly a vital component in keeping the chain from derailing, clutch derailleurs play an arguably larger role… or so we thought. We didn’t suffer a single dropped chain while using the Narrow Wide ring, both with and without a clutch derailleur. This includes everything from charging rough trails on a 150mm travel trail bike, to getting rowdy on a steel hardtail that managed to rattle our teeth but not rattle the chain off despite not using a chain guide of any sort. Impressively, the hardtail was the bike that was spec’d with a standard non-clutch derailleur, and the bike that had us fully expecting at least a few dropped chains. Not only were we proven wrong, but there was also a noticeable reduction in chain slap noise while using the 30 tooth Narrow Wide ring.

Issues

With an easy and trouble-free installation, and not a single dropped chain to report, we really have nothing to complain about. Our single concern, although one that we were admittedly not able to suss out due to a long dry spell here in South Western B.C., boils down to how the ring’s tooth profiles would perform in excessively muddy conditions. We say this only because other rings that use the same shaping have shown to pick up loads of mud and trail debris, sometimes enough to actually derail the chain. Again, this did not happen to us while using Race Face’s chainring, but the incredibly dry weather never really did give us a chance to properly test this aspect.

Pinkbike’s take:
    bigquotes While we can see many riders still doubling up by using both the Narrow Wide ring and at least an upper slider-only guide, we have complete confidence in our guide-free Race Face Narrow Wide setup while charging on some pretty serious terrain. Not a single dropped chain, even while riding a hardtail without either a guide or a clutch derailleur on rough, rooty terrain, has proven to us that going guide-less is a viable alternative for a rider who wants a simple and lightweight setup

I’m tempted! Anyone using a nw chainring with NO rear clutch? Views?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Rik – Member
    When’s the rocket arriving Greg?

POSTED 4 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

I think Leonardo da Vinci is just starting the paint job, Rik, so who knows!. In my heart, it’ll be this month (that’s what Cy says) but my head keeps tellin me ‘they said that in April!’.

I’ve waited this long, it better be **** good!.

jam-bo

Got a 34t on order with my local shop. Hoping I can drop the chain guide but we’ll see

richen987
    Free Member

i am running mine without a chainguide, have a zee clutched rear mech, no troubles so far, fingers crossed. having a proper ride tomorrow night so will report back then.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Just ordered my red 34T from Rutland.

Extra 5% off using:

SUMMER5

Totalled £37.99! 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else ordered a RaceFace Narrow/Wide now they are in stock?’ is closed to new replies.