Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Anyone else not have much time for David Millar?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Or is it just me?

Its probably been done to death on here already, but the guy just really grates on me. He comes across as a self serving prick and a hypocrite.

IMO hes no better than the rest of the cheats and deserves be shown similar levels of contempt…

Rant over 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

Trolling along.

I loves him.

Jamie
    Free Member

Can’t stand the bloke. So glad he is out of politics.

whattyre
    Free Member

I’ve met him twice and both times he’s been eloquent,intelligent and comes across very well..I likes him! 8)

rOcKeTdOg

Its illegal to call him a cheat in here because ” he admitted it & served his suspension”
    deceive your fans once & you are always a cheat in my book

*dons flameproof bibshorts*

titusrider
    Free Member

You read his book?

i suggest you do. He is one of the most intelligent voices in the peloton to me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

He is one of the most intelligent voices in the peloton to me.

Ditto.

Very good at the commentary as well, I thought.

Oh, and would love to see him up the ranks of the UCI to sort them out!

stanfree
    Free Member

I didn’t think much of him till I read his book. Since then I’ve watched a few video clips and read some of the article he has written on the whole WADA/USADA subject. I think he seems like a decent chap and Is originally from Forres close to where I come from.

vickypea
    Free Member

I like him too! He come across as intelligent and genuinely remorseful.

titusrider
    Free Member

Yeah people keep asking him to run for uci president and i think he might just be taking them seriously 🙂 would be fantastic for the sport IMO

mikehopkins
    Free Member

still making my mind up, but what I have seen/heard of him (little to be honest) in Blood Sweat and Gears…he seemed pretty cool.

Book worth reading?

twistedpencil

Great book.

I likes.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I likes.
    I want him as head of the UCI me.

scaredypants

somebody posted up a link a while back to an article by nicholas roche. I’ve lost the link but the salient text was:

If you look at all the riders recently who have been caught and admitted doping, some people are saying it’s great that these riders are helping the sport. But saying, ‘I’m sorry, I was doping from this year to that year but I’m not going to do it again and I’m cleaner than clean… I’m helping anti-doping because I talk to kids about it,’ or whatever, that’s a load of bull. That’s not helping anti-doping.

Helping anti-doping is saying. ‘Okay I doped. I got it from this doctor. These are the riders that I met in the waiting room. This is how it’s done. These are the new products that are in the peloton that are not yet detectable. These are the products that we use to mask the ones that are detectable. This product does this, this product does that. This is how we beat the test.’ That’s helping anti-doping.
    Now THAT’s telling it how it is should be

ah, here we go

mrblobby
    Free Member

Also didn’t have much time for him until i read his book. Reckon Millar is a good guy who’s trying to put things right. He’s done a lot for the anti doping cause through his actions with WADA and Slipstream.

I can see the Roche’s point but for Millar to do that publicly would have meant the end of his career in cycling. I suspect he’s been able to do more for the anti-doping cause by being able to work within the peloton rather than just being a voice in the wilderness.

Sanny
    Free Member

Read most of his book but gave up on it as I realised that I just didn’t connect with him as an author or as a person. . I wonder whether he would have confessed to doping if he hadn’t been found out? He now rides for a team headed up by Jonathan Vaughters whose own record is one of past doper. Millar could have done much more by naming and shaming but he didn’t and chose a path that kept him in the peloton and didn’t rock the boat. Whether the sport is better with him still playing a role, I’m undecided. His path was one of choosing to dope in a sport of dopers. What he did wasn’t in any shape or form evil or terrible but what he did do was gain an unfair advantage on the clean riders and has continued to benefit from that. Like Hincapie, Zabriskie or Leipheimer, I don’t recall a rush to pay back ill gotten winnings.

fontmoss
    Free Member

for Millar to do that publicly would have meant the end of his career in cycling

Yup. That’s why that course of action is really taking a stand, changing the machine from the inside is what people tell themselves when they trot off to work for starbucks. Haven’t read his book yet and actually like him in interviews and doing commentary. That said he’s done damn well out of being supposedly poacher turned gamekeeper.

As for the fact he’s a nice guy, well I’d wager many of history’s villains were pleasant enough one to one.

vickypea
    Free Member

There are some very unforgiving people out there. I just hope that none of you ever put a foot wrong in life, regret it and expect forgiveness!

jambo13
    Free Member

Just to throw in a tangent, I really can’t stand Contador.

It’s a p*ss take he’s able to race so soon after his suspension and win the Vuelta.

Cheating bar steward….

br
    Free Member

So, once a crim, always a crim? Have I stumbled onto the letters page of The Daily Excess?

Tom-B
    Free Member

Definitely one of the most eloquent and often most interesting voices in the pro peloton. That said, I really can’t stand the bloke-I read his book and it make me dislike him even more than before I read it. I find it very hard to feel and great sympathy for him. Yes he was manipulated by his team into doping to an extent, but did they manipulate him into an egotistic money grabber too? I’m sure he’s changed now, I know that his doping conviction left him with debts that he only recently cleared, but he really hasn’t done too badly from the whole thing has he? Part owner of the Garmin team etc

andylaightscat
    Free Member

Millar? cheated,then did his best to avoid a ban just like Hamilton,Landis.So he might be eloquent,witty,intelligent but that just makes him a witty,eloquent,intelligent cheat.

imnotverygood

Millar? cheated,then did his best to avoid a ban just like Hamilton,Landis.

Really? In what way?

akeys001

Scaredypants +1

oldgit
    Free Member

Remorseless CHEAT
    Remorseful CHEAT
    Charming CHEAT
    Dead CHEAT
    The one thing that links them all in any way that matters is that they all cheated in cycling.
    That said I’m still in awe of Armstong, Millar is a brilaint tactician, Contador is just ++++ing great, never liked Pantani.

Ladders
    Free Member

What would you have done in his shoes?

Gave up the sport you love, the job you love, the life you love?

Or would you, with all the pressure put on him when he was young and the knowledge that pretty much everyone else was doing, perhaps done the same?

More respect for him than for Lance

midlifecrashes

Only ever bought one bit of team cycling kit, a team Cofidis strip after DM won the world champs. Only wore it a handful of times before the cheater got dragged away from his cosy dinner with David Brailsford discussing his “preparations” for the next races to have his room turned over by the police. Dopers should be out for life, not two years. Once a crim, always a crim. Someone clean didn’t get a career because he did.

Out of interest I’d read his book, but I wouldn’t buy it, he’d just be benefiting from cheating again. I was given Tyler Hamilton’s as a gift, I suppose someone might want to swap? Free Cofidis jersey and socks if you do, hardly worn.

footflaps

The guy was a liar and a cheat in real life, so why on earth do you expect his book to be the truth – it’s just what you want to hear so it sells well and he gets to stay in his career. He’s hardly going to write ‘I’m still on EPO, just a lot more careful with the doses to stay below the test threshold.’

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Cant stand him. He thought he was the shizz and wasnt.

I read his book, exactly what i expected but disliked him even more after I read it. Sets himself up as the party going maverick then expects us to feel sorry for him as the book turns all serious after his arrest.

Cheeky b’stard even complains in his book about Ullrich drafting at the world TT champs when Millar was EPO’d up to the max.The book isnt even that intersting if you have read other books on doping. As a biog its just boring.

Disconcertingly vague when mentioning his doping.

Meh

terrahawk
    Free Member

I know his brother, Windy.

fontmoss
    Free Member

I have no problem forgiving people and their mistakes. I get slightly annoyed when they make a crust from having made those mistakes and getting a subsequently bigger following and press attention. Also if I were to engage in a sustained mispractice then no I don’t think I would expect to be forgiven for just going back and picking up my old job (albeit without engaging in the previous infringement)

Someone clean didn’t get a career because he did.

Mate is a former olympian and it;s this part that drives her absolutely potty, the sacrifices she made and that other sportspeople make are wiped out by someone cheating.

What would you have done in his shoes?

The everyone else was doing it why shouldn’t I? argument hasn’t held up since at least the second world war. I’m not saying I would have made better decisions but I would like to think I;d sink the doping ship and all aboard if I were to “help clean up the sport”

EDIT: What does Tygart have to say about Millar? Could be pretty enlightening.

Haze

I like Contador, he certainly livened up the Vuelta last year.

scaredypants

I don’t like Contador, he certainly livened up the Vuelta last year.

kennyp
    Free Member

I have a lot of time for him. Yes, he cheated, but having read his book I see it a bit differently. Plus I genuinely believe he is a reformed character and has the best interests of cycling at heart.

butcher

I just finished his book yesterday. He’s got a genuinely interesting story to tell, but he does have a certain arrogance about him.

davieg
    Free Member

Plenty of strong opinions seemed to have been formed well before reading his book and further reinforced following its reading. Did you miss those pages regarding him fighting his demons over racing clean or become “professional” and dope? It is kinda the point of the whole book.

He could have served his time, done nothing and possibly doped again. He has shown genuine remorse, become engaged where it can make a difference and helped found a genuine anti-doping team. I don’t believe canonisation and getting mega-bucks was a game plan he devised when resuming his career.

As for the Olympics, the original BOA stance was noble but why limit yourself when Kazakstahn and others have no such principles e.g. Vinokourov.

Haters going to hate as they say, and this is your thread. My respect for Millar has increased even further having read Tyler Hamilton’s incredible story. Millar will be the first to tell you he was a doper. He needs no reminding of that.

walleater

I preferred him when he was a man.

Nobby

I read his book & it didn’t diminish my distrust of him at all – then again, I’m of the Nicholas Roche school of thought mentioned above. For him to have the UCI Presidency I would expect him to have to come clean with he whole truth at the point he was caught.

Has he shown remorse – yes.

Has he told the whole truth since being caught – no.

Has he disassociated himself from other known dopers – no.

Would he have confessed if they hadn’t caught him – unlikely.

Has he damaged the sport he ‘loves’ – yes.

Has he continued to earn a considerable sum since returning – probably.

IMHO, the penalties for doping are too lenient and, as such, are not a sufficient deterrent. If Millar (or any other drugs cheat) had been told he had a 10 year ban but it can be reduced in stages by naming other doping riders, team officials & doctors involved maybe, just maybe, the sport would’ve got cleaner, quicker.

boxfish
    Free Member

His book was good.
    His cheating was very bad.
    His book wouldn’t have been so good if he hadn’t cheated.
    I feel like a sucker for buying it knowing he was a cheat.
    At least I read the LA books in good faith…

nano
    Free Member

I take the point that Millar does go on about the ‘omertà’ but even he wouldn’t talk about anything other than his own doping and certainly no more than pseudonyms about who supplied him. That said I like him and think he could be excellent at the UCI

For me a better book by Jeremy Whittle (for it is he) would be ”Bad Blood’.

There’s a stronger narrative in Tyler Hamilton’s book IMHO. Just read David Walsh’s latest and that was piss poor..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else not have much time for David Millar?’ is closed to new replies.