Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Anyone else lost interest in nightriding?
  • neil853
    Free Member

I used to love it, but recently I just can’t seem to motivate myself to get out during the week nightriding. Just can’t be bothered with getting back filthy late at night. It’s not helped by the fact I live in a flat now but I don’t think that’s the only reason. I have mates that go out every week but I find it much easier to head out for a run instead. Still get out on weekends so Ihaven’t fell out with riding as a whole, just the during the week stuff. 🙄

Weird, don’t remember the point when it happened either.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I love it whern its frosty/snowy but have not been out in a while as my local trails are a quagmire with this crappy mild and wet winter.

wors

Yep, i’m feeling the same to be honest, it isn’t helped by commuting 5 days a week through this crap weather at the moment either. Still, i’m sure we’ll be getting a cold snap soon.

thomthumb
    Free Member

my local trails are a quagmire with this crappy mild and wet winter.

this is not helping. normally in winter i wash the bike once a month (ish) seems to desperately need it every ride atm.

rocketman
    Free Member

Quite enjoy night riding when it’s an option

This time of year a mid-week ride in the dark is the only choice, and faffing about with lights and batteries when the trails are ugly takes a lot of motivation.

neil853
    Free Member

I think that’s more likely it, the trails where the lads ride during the week (mostly) is Rivington, the trails are extremely muddy. If I was nearer to Llandegla (don’t start please on slagging it off, I think its a decent enough place) thien I think I would be enticed to ride more during the week/dark. Or maybe i’m just kidding to myself and i’m talking bollox ha ha

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Got tired of it years ago, cold, muddy and getting home late is rubbish.

Jamie
    Free Member

The last 2 years I have bought a el cheapo light from DX, gone for 1 night ride and then sold it. I think I won’t bother this year. I find night running more fun and less hassle, anyway.

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

never got into it, i kinda like looking at the countryside 😉

reggiegasket
    Free Member

still loving it here.

boggy trails are getting a bit tiresome though.

s
    Free Member

Or group of night riders is dwindling at the moment, we have gone down from a pack of 6 to 3 recently, mostly due I am sure to the muddy wet conditions & we have not seen any real icy/snowy weather here in the midlands yet, which always makes or local stuff a little more exciting 😉

sefton
    Free Member

yeah me! it’s scary on your own, wet cold, get in late and have to clean up, glasses steam up

but its mainly just too scary

Andy-R

It never really did it for me – like drinkmoreport said, I like being able to look at the surroundings.

nobtwidler
    Free Member

Still loving it BUT bailed on last nights ride first time in a while, weather was a bit much but still had a ride as far as the pub and back.

landcruiser
    Free Member

Love night riding ! it’s great, but not when it’s really wet and muddy………. like now.

So yes I have (for a while) lost interest !

Taff
    Free Member

Me. Bought the lights this year but can’t be arsed going out again.

convert

I’ve turned to riding road at night (admittedly on tiny lanes in the back of beyond) or running.

The sludge and quagmire around here in the winter makes riding at any time of the day a dubious pleasure with so much comparitivly impasable.

jimc101
    Free Member

Was out last night, considering how bad the weather was, we had a good turnout of 8. for the riding, I do enjoy it more when it’s dry, but you have to take what the weather / conditions give you.

rOcKeTdOg

will be out later 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

night riding is a summer thing for me, warm, dry and quiet trails, nightriding in mud has even less appeal than riding through mud in daylight.

redthunder
    Free Member

Don’t the poor only ride at night ?

😉

Northwind

With our local trails being horrible this year I’ve barely been out… But the night rides I’ve done have been good (especially the one coming down glentress with no lights, navigating by supersonic sonar radar)

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Still loving it here!
    Absolutely gutted that I won’t be out tonight (terminal manflu)
    Been riding just about every Wed and Thur night throughout the year. Rider numbers are dwindling a bit though at this time of year.
    I’ll be out again next week.

freeagent
    Free Member

really can’t be bothered with it this winter, don’t mind it when its a bit warmer though..

Trimix
    Free Member

Im still doing it – was out last night for some slippery action and loved it.

Been loving it for three years, every week whatever the weather. For me the secret is a quick and easy cleaning routine and a hip flask to wash down the jelly babies. Oh, and great banter while riding.

Its improved my fitness and bike handleing no end, come Spring Im fitter than I should be.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Family and work mean I can only ride at night. So I do.
    Advantage is a whole heap of cheeky trails are rideable, and there’s always time for a pint before last orders.
    I’ll be out tonight.
    Sleep is for the weak.

Alex

Never used to like it (Chilterns Winter = Somme), but here (Malverns) mud is always manageable. If I’m WFH bike is on the trailer, kit sorted etc before it gets dark. If I’m working away, bike IN car, try to go straight from customers if I can.

Only three of us in the Winter, but all keen. Bit of peer pressure not to drop out. Also we apply 20 minute rule, if it’s horribly sh!t after that, we’ll turn around. Never happened yet.

Sometimes it feels like a chore, but always feel better afterwards. Also having hose, heated workshop, winter wheels, etc makes it easier.

Alex

Oh and +1 on the cheeky trails 🙂

sambob
    Free Member

Only ever done 1 night ride and that was a race, just like to chill when I get in. This weather doesn’t help, my bike just gets wrecked by the grit. Don’t mind going out at weekends though. Might try some night time road riding once my exams are over though, need to get fit for the summer.

carlos
    Free Member

I’d say quite the opposite, recently joined up with a group who ride every Monday, sometimes I can ride from home others its a short car trip over to Hayfield, Disley, Buxton even Hope etc… Great bunch, plenty of friendly chat, always at least 3 others out, pint in the pub after. Also go it alone some nights as an extra ride out, I find the motivation to actually get out isn’t quite as strong when you go solo though.

Its good for getting some cheeky stuff in too. 😉

Give the bike a quick swill and a better clean the following night if its really muddy.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

when strapped for time I think u have to balance hassle V reward.

I try not to drive miles for a short ride.

I no longer night ride because I don’t like getting home at 10.30pm covered in crap when i have to get up at 6am the next day. It’s good but not worth the hassle V a run or spin session.

coastkid
    Free Member

Love it :D, but i don`t have to ride sloppy mud and have all the cleaning afterwords here in East Lothian, love it here on the sandy coastal trails that get hardpacked in the wet mid winter…

Magicshine 872 by coastkid71, on Flickr

No one else out and about, many trails have blind corners and all too often other users/dogs to watch for at weekends,

I love rolling along the beach too with the fatbike, dual lights on is pure overkill but ace 🙂
    The Coastgaurd will be called out one of these evenings yet :mrgreen:

Free Member

Looks like most of the Wednesday night WMMTBForum elite have gone all soft after christmas. Scarred of a little cold and mud. 8)

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I’m supposed to go tomorrow night around the Marin with a mate who’s just got some lights and going for his first night ride, spent the last few days charging and setting up my lights, jet the weathers is horrible and now I start to feel crap just as I’m looking forward to getting out again. 🙁

iDave
    Free Member

any of you interested in selling your lights?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

any of you interested in selling your lights?

Good shout. Now we’ll find out if they are all actually scared of the mud and dark, or just a bunch of attention seeking roasters!.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Monday night – yep (after a day ride!)
    Tuesday night – yep
    tonight – nope 😥
    Tomorrow – yep 😀

Guess I love it still!

takisawa2

Was all set to go tonight but it starting throwing it down as soon as I left work. Dont mind riding in the rain but not on the cold side of 10deg C. Prefer running very early mornings.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

Yup….i’m there too but more to do with the bad weather and cold, i always enjoy myself when i make the effort though 😀

scaredypants

I don’t specially like night-riding but it’s pretty much all I’ve got

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else lost interest in nightriding?’ is closed to new replies.