Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Anyone else got this horrible norovirus?
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

2 days in and the toilet visits are killing me!

I can’t remember the last time I laid on the bathroom floor sweating just waiting for the next episode.

Anyway of speeding up recovery? And am I ok to drink sports drinks for the dehydration?

Cheers all

peterfile
    Free Member

I had it last year, first 24 hours were the worst, but by the end of day 2 I felt fairly human again. Was eating properly by about day 4 or 5.

Loads of fluids I think, not a huge amount else you can do.

Not the nicest thing in the world, but short lived at least! Get well soon

Pigface
    Free Member

Dwarf had it a week or so ago, I had a dose at the end of last year, horrendous, you have my sympathy.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Just getting over it myself. 24hours of it coming out of both ends and couldn’t hold anything down, and I’ve lost 3/4 stone!! Fruit pastilles, apple segments and ice water were the only things I managed to keep down on day 2. Day 3 now and I could eat a horse!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I honestly don’t know how I’m still having toilet stops. I’ve not eaten for a day.

Oh well I guess I’ll lay in bed and catch up on Sons of Anarchy.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yeah on the ice water. Hmmmm I could eat fruit pastilles anytime.

Can someone pop and get me some lucozade and fruit pastilles please?

The mrs has ofsted in too so is, understandably, too stressed to look after me.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Had it last week, along with a chest infection, and floored me for the full week. Still struggling a bit, but back at work and starting to feel a bit more normal.
    Dioralyte sips was all I could do for days

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

For the people who had it how long can I expect the runs? I don’t mind the sickness but the other end is too much.

jam-bo

I honestly don’t know how I’m still having toilet stops. I’ve not eaten for a day.

its your internal organs liquefying.

or mostly water.

BadlyWiredDog

We were out at AQR a couple of years back and the whole group pretty much went down with something like this – it was darkly hilarious, all you could hear was the sound of vomiting and flushing. It was an interesting social experience.

Mostly people were over the worst of it in about 24 hours, able to ride bikes again, gently, after a couple of days, but it varied. Some people took longer than others, some people copped it worse, presumably it depends on your immune system and the individual virus. YMM and probably will V.

Get well soon 🙂

IA

For the people who had it how long can I expect the runs? I don’t mind the sickness but the other end is too muc

I got it the end of last year, I’d say about a week despite not eating and barely drinking…. as mentioned above WHERE DOES IT ALL COME FROM?!

On the plus side, it’s a quick way to loose 5kg.

I recommend signing up to netflix (you get a month free) and caning 24/house of cards/Archer etc.

Archer episodes are only 20mins, should fit them in between toilet breaks? 😉

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Netflix is the thing keeping me going. I’ve got 6 seasons if SOA to catch up on.

It’s a vivacious cycle, I drink water cos I’m dehydrated then within ten minutes it’s out again. Worse part you’re never quite sure which end it’ll come from.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Day 3 and still no let up! I’ve only eaten 2 slices of toast in that time!!!!

Where on earth is it coming from!

Jamie
    Free Member

3 days? Sweet Jesus. I had it for 36hrs-ish about 4yrs ago, and that was enough.

Norovirus really is enough of a reason to never interact with people, ever again.

Archer episodes are only 20mins, should fit them in between toilet breaks?

If he has an iPad he can take it in the bog with him.

sectuerfive
    Free Member

I had it over new year, horrible thing!

t_i_m
    Free Member

my household had it 6 weeks ago. grim but over pretty quickly.
    having two young children throwing up everywhere didnt help!

To get rid of it quickly, make sure that you wash your hands a lot. Re-infection is very easy. Drink lots of water. Using dehydration tables (eg Nuun) is good. Avoid eating dairy or hard to digest foods.

globalti
    Free Member

Norovirus is spectacularly successful at spreading itself.

Wiki says:

Noroviruses are transmitted directly from person to person and indirectly via contaminated water and food. They are extremely contagious, and fewer than twenty virus particles can cause an infection (some research suggests as few as five). Transmission occurs through ingesting contaminated food and water and by person-to-person spread. Transmission can be aerosolized when those stricken with the illness vomit, and can be aerosolized by a toilet flush when vomit or diarrhea is present; infection can follow eating food or breathing air near an episode of vomiting, even if cleaned up. The viruses continue to be shed after symptoms have subsided and shedding can still be detected many weeks after infection.
    Vomiting, in particular, transmits infection effectively. In one incident, a person who vomited spread infection right across a restaurant, suggesting that many unexplained cases of food poisoning may have their source in vomit. 126 people were dining at six tables in December 1998; one woman vomited. Staff quickly cleaned up, and people continued eating. Three days later others started falling ill; 52 people reported a range of symptoms, from fever and nausea to vomiting and diarrhea. The cause was not immediately identified. Researchers plotted the seating arrangement: more than 90% of the people at the same table as the sick woman later reported becoming ill. There was a direct correlation between the risk of infection of people at other tables and how close they were to the sick woman. More than 70% of the diners at an adjacent table fell ill; at a table on the other side of the restaurant, the rate was still 25%. The outbreak was attributed to a Norwalk-like virus (norovirus). Other cases of transmission by vomit were later identified.
    In one outbreak at an international scout jamboree in the Netherlands, each person with gastroenteritis infected an average of 14 people before increased hygiene measures were put in place. Even after these new measures were enacted, an ill person still infected an average of 2.1 other people. A CDC study of 11 outbreaks in New York State lists the suspected mode of transmission as person-to-person in seven outbreaks, foodborne in two, waterborne in one, and one unknown. The source of waterborne outbreaks may include water from municipal supplies, wells, recreational lakes, swimming pools and ice machines.

br
    Free Member

FWIW I work in a hospital and we’ve a couple of wards locked-down with NV.

To quote the Charge Nurse; “shit, hands, mouth” – is the ‘process’. 🙂

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

On the recovery here,the world feel out my bottom on Sunday night, still it’s now a fireroad climb rather than hike a bike! Only now I’ve got a pro tour cold going on. Day 4 in the big brother shithouse. An back on solids yay! Got steak bridie and fudge donut to celebrate.

slowjo
    Free Member

Interesting that fruit pastilles work for people. I may be wrong, but I was always told to avoid sugars when suffering from gastro-intestinal problems as the bacteria/virus thrive on the sugar.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve been on lucozade as it tasted nice but it makes me feel sick.

I’m thinking I should just switch to water.

Still not eaten anything but going to attempt some dry toast in a minute.

Sui
    Free Member

apparently you shouldn’t drink lucozade when you have D+V things, not entirely sure why, but it says it on the bottle!!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’ll stick with water then cheers

spectabilis
    Free Member

I’ve been on lucozade as it tasted nice but it makes me feel sick.

I’m thinking I should just switch to water.

Mix it with water . thats what I did, the fizz of the Lucozade made me want to chuck but mixing it with water I got some of the benefits without the fizz…

apparently you shouldn’t drink lucozade when you have D+V things, not entirely sure why, but it says it on the bottle!!

I saw that but I put it down to them not wanting to be assosciated as a sickness remedy and more as part of an active healthy lifestyle….

tonyd

Sounds like a great way to lose weight, where do I sign up?!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’m on half a stone in just over 2 days.

As somebody who needs to drop a few pounds can wholly say I’d rather do a weeks continuous spinning than feel like this.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

At what point do I consider ringing the GP?

Day 4 and still no let up. Dehydration is becoming a real worry now as I’m too light headed and weak to stand up for more than a few minutes.

Cougar

I was diagnosed with Glandular Fever a few years back. Absolutely flattened; I walked to the doctor’s which was all of a block away, by the time I got there I didn’t have the strength to get the door open. I’d to sit on the doorstep shaking like a shitting dog for five minutes before I’d recovered sufficiently to be able to go in.

Evacuating from both ends, sitting on the throne facing the sink and rocking back and forth between emissions. I had an arse like the News of the World – “I never knew there was so much in it.”

Lost two stones in a week, went down to 8.5st. You have my sympathies.

Cougar

I’d ring the GP if I were you.

Dehydration is becoming a real worry now

Keep taking fluids, don’t drink just water, you need to replace electrolytes too. Have you nothing in that you’d take on a ride, SiS / Nuun etc?

Houns

Spose lucozade contains caffeine which probably isn’t the best to have when dehydrated.

Small sips of water and rehydration drinks. If you’re that bad then Ice cubes/ice chips

I’d call the Dr or 111

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’m ok I think, I’m not vomitting any more the the water I take on seems to be staying down.

It’s the one time I wish I did keep energy tabs in but I don’t use them.

The mrs is bringing me some rehydration sachets home.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve not strayed far from the bathroom since Tuesday. Thought it was just a 24hr bug but after getting up twice every hour last night and still pooing through the eye of a needle, I think I was wrong. I might well have a nor-walk type virus as well.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Onza I started early Tuesday and still no let up. How long can it carry on!

I can’t stand laying in bed but yesterday I did all day. The back ache is killing me.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The joint aches, headache and photosensitivity had me believing it was some sort of flu. I wish it was now! Flu would be better.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I can live with the shits, it’s the association stomach cramps that are really getting to me.

sectuerfive
    Free Member

I had it for around 10 day’s I think, just kept drinking lots of fluids, and didn’t eat for two days!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Don’t say that! I can’t take it for that long!!

I thought if you had it for more than 4-5 they hospitalise you due to danger of organ damage?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Organ damage? I thought it was limited to the small intestine.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Think it relates to dehydration and certain organs needing the fluid to operate properly.

konabunny
    Free Member

The mrs has ofsted in too

Haven’t heard it called that before.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else got this horrible norovirus?’ is closed to new replies.