• This topic has 15 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone else got a problem with authority?
  • PracticalMatt
    Free Member

I've spent the last two years effectivly self managing on a project that allows me a lot of indipendant work and out of office visits to users of the project.
    My old line manager was very much of the lassaiz faire school of thought and occasionally took me for a coffee and chat but basically left me alone.

Now I'm under a new manager who keeps asking questions and requiring updates and explanations of my working practises. Every time I take it as a criticism and find myself getting furious. Before i was put on this project I was a an uber effcient gopher but that job at the time was very ordered and required litttle multi tasking.

Now I juggle a veritable huricane of admin and requests from all sides in a job that in other areas (I work in the public sector) is done by a whole team. I have reached national recognition in my field so think I might know what I'm doing and do welcome helpful input from people who also know the area of work, I just don't like having it questioned by an outsider.

Basically does anyone else have a near unreasonable inability to deal with authority and if so how do you temper it. I don't want to mess up my career but can't help getting tetchy and deffensive every time I'm asked a question.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

I find it difficult to work with certain managers, especially if they try and micro-manage me or I spend more time updating them rather than doing the work.

Trust and getting to know each others way of working may improve. Or you may need to look for another manager.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Matt – good managers are very very rare IMO. Sometimes you can't do anything right – do well and the manager gets jealous, do badly and you get fired.

Sounds like your manager is insecure and uncertain of his/her job so you're getting it in the neck. He/she will also take credit for your triumphs. Just roll with it if you can and wait until he/she gets fired!

TooTall
    Free Member

You need to understand your new manager. You need to understand what about you they think they are managing, what you think they need to manage and the external pressures put upon them to be the way they are. Managing your manager is quite a skill and sounds like you need to do this more now than before.
    It sounds like you weren't managed before – it can be good for both of you if done properly – but you need to drive that really.

Drac

Some people don't like change but yes I know what you mean. However, my boss is pretty good and leaves me alone unless I forget to do something and then he reminds me to get it done.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I think my work probably isn't comparable, but isn't the best way to respond to the need for answers/updates/explanations to brief him frequently and in detail?

binners

I spent years working for myself. Prior to that I had a job where the MD would pop his head round the door every few weeks to see how things were going. I always hit my deadlines so he left me well alone.

I now have a terrible problem with authority. Anyone who even attempts to tell me what to do, I immediately label as 'jobsworths'.

I tell you what does temper it though. A tperiod of unemployment. Now my standard answer is 'How high?'

spacemonkey

Aye, micro-managing (or any form thereof) is a PITA. Smacks on insecurity, lack of trust and leadership, plus the usual pressure/stress, etc.

If you get on with him "outside of work stuff" then try getting the conversation onto your project and ask him how he sees things are ticking along etc – i.e get him to realise his own "errors" and motives for change.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I just don't like having it questioned by an outsider.

That's a strange way to refer to your direct line manager.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

@BANana- they are my new manager due to the absence of the whole tier that previously sat between me and them. They are not directly conncted to my line of work in any way. I think that is the crux, if they sat on the sidelines and watched for a bit to get a handle on the issues I address then I might welcome the input a little more.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Cartman: Respect my authorit-eye!!

picture your manager as Cartman on a tricycle 🙂

jahwomble
    Free Member

If you had a complete inability to deal with authority, you'd not be a manager now, it does sound like you're not used to being managed though,unfortunately,it's what you're paid for, find out exactly what he expects from you, how he expects you to do it and exactly what feedback he needs and when. Get it in writing,Get on with it.

jeffl

Look at it from his angle. He's taking over the management of a new project, to him, and is probably trying to get a feel for the project ASAP. Maybe set some time aside say a good 1/2 day and actually go through with him what you're doing and what your role generally entails.

If there are any annoying problems that you haven't been able to resolve, or can't be bothered to resolve, pass them over to him. He'll either relish the ability to get involved, and it will keep him busy, or he won't do it and will stay out of your way until he does do it.

Philby

Your manager is not an "outsider" – they are your boss nad have a right to fully understand and have some involvement in what you do. As they are new they will not understand the work you do, your competencies and areas where you may need support. They may also have some good ideas which could make your project even more successful.

As Tootall and BigDummy suggest you need to start managing your manager – be proactive in providing reports, invite him/her to one of your users of your project, ask them if they have any ideas of how to improve the project etc. Over time they should start to trust you and your relationship should be a supportive and solution-focussed one, rather than boss/worker relationship. Perhaps he may even be able to help you with ideas to reduce the admin that you imply is hindering you.

Coyote
    Free Member

I can see where you are coming from. My boss has set me my targets, made sure that we both understand what needs to be done and what can be done in the time available and then left me manage my own diary.

However I can't re-inforce what Binners said enough. Before this job I was out of work for 6 months and believe me, it is a very sad and lonely place to be particularly when you have a young family to support.

I would recommend a good hard look at the situation and reassessment of your position. Don't forget, this is a new manager who doesn't know you yet but still has responsibility for the work you produce. Sure change can be difficult to handle but believe me the alternative is far, far worse.

DezB
    Free Member

Best way to deal with bad management is to have a good ol' whinge with your workmates. Gets the frustrations out!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else got a problem with authority?’ is closed to new replies.