Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Anyone else getting excited about Mayhem
  • Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Couple of points, mayhems website…SORT THE CLOCK OUT!!! its says on the website I quote 'As always the entry from will be out on midnight 28th of February, but until then watch this space!' Well I've been watching for best part of a year…Nothing.. For what I think is the best event in the UK, the sites just not updated enough. Anyway more important, whose going, how many in your teams? where you getting your custom jerseys made and I bet someone here is making the trip to the cottage for the first entry??? 😀 😀 😀 😀

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I think we're toying with the idea of putting a team together for it. Only ever done Hit The North (as a pair) and the 24/12 a few years ago (as a solo) so looking forward to a 4 man team thing.

cookeaa

We’re looking to get a team together at work, there’s enough keen to make it work, however we are all Mayhem and 24Hr virgins so the basic goal will be finishing and nothing more…

Still excited to be doing it, might even “train”….

oldgit
    Free Member

Is it still at Eastnor?

CheesybeanZ

http://www.osmountainmayhem.co.uk/

planning my first solo 😯

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Is it still at Eastnor

Well I think so, I did hear something about moving to wales but Im not sure. I hope it stays put, great course last year.
    Last year was our 'first time' we got to the venue early on the Thursday morning, and had the pick of the field but LOADs of people had taped off areas which I think is a bit cheeky. Apart from that I'm hooked and planned most of this years riding around this event and am lreally ooking forward to it. Ive raced at loads of national motorcross events and never been to anything like mayhem everyone is happy to chap and offer advise. I think if your into mountian bikes then this event is a real must… 🙂
    The Drag race on the friday night was well funny, may have to take my first step into a dress and stockings this year 😯

postierich
    Free Member

Giving it a miss this year!

It neeeds a bar selling real ale and organic lager to stop the young uns going stupid NICE IF THERE WAS SOME LIVE MUSIC TOO.Imho

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

I think It could do with something on the Friday night, mmaybe a live band or some music to give that party feel, it doesnt have to go on all night!!

onewheelgood

This year will be my 8th, since I got suckered into it with the offer of "a weekend's camping, bit of mountain biking, bit of night riding". Just sent out my annual appeal for volunteers at work. Managed to put two teams together last year, and I think some of them will be prepared to do it again 🙂

Oh, and while we're on the subject, what tyres…?

oldgit
    Free Member

Just been asked to join a team.
    I did say when I finished my first Mayhem ten years ago that I want to doing this still in ten years time, so perhaps I should. And it's been eight years since I did a team 24, soloing sucks after a few years, time for some fun now.
    Anything for a serious 14 year old to do?

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Oh, and while we're on the subject, what tyres…?

Well after winning the 'Top prize' in the Kenda lukcy dip last year (free set of tyres) I dont think you can go wrong with Kenda nevegal in the dry and Ive gone for Schwalbe Black Shark Folding 1.5 Tyre for the wet!!

oldgit
    Free Member

I did very well there some years back on Skinny Jimmy Lights, Rocket Rons would be the next best thing.
    I used Trailrakers one year as well grippy when wet, but draggy when not.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Oldgit, that's the attitude! After following a couple of solo riders last year for a bit god knows how you do that. I spent the whole lap looking forward to the end of my 8 miles let alone going round again and again.. Well done you

stumpyjon

Would love to do it again this year, don't think my team from last year are up for it though 😥

Ti29er
    Free Member

Not this year.
    Pairs Bonty was more fun in 2009, so I want into single figures as a team in 2010.
    Mayhem is hard graft and horrendous in the wet & I've been there for the last 2 years.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Perfect Balance Cycles/Singuloids/New force, whatever we decide to call ourselves this year, we'll be there for our seventh Mayhem.

Roping off areas? Yes we're guilty, but when there's 40 or so assorted team members and families it's nice to have them camped all together.

Mantastic
    Free Member

Currently 18st and plan to do this solo, aim is to be 16st at the start, gives me motivation to get out there and just ride and enjoy. Managed 14 laps in sleepless one year so looking to that for a target. Is this achievable?

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

It all depends on the weather and how good you are at riding through sh1t.

Seriously, if it's wet there it's really really claggy. The sort of clag that sticks to everything and snaps mechs like twigs. In those conditions 14 laps would get you into the top 30%. If it's dry then you'll need 20+ for the same result.

Dickyboy

This will be my 5th but planning to be my first solo too, 20 weeks to loose 20lbs, but just back from beer & chips at the pub… 😳

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Chips and Beer a good starting point for mayhem well for the Friday night anyway… 😯

glenncampbell

Fancy soloing again this year although I keep hoping for better weather – as if . . . . !

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

looks like team yassu nafty will be back on the start line in 2010, this time, possibly with a WOMAN. 😯

I wasn't getting excited about it until I read this thread, and now can't wait. boring course. absolute hell when it's wet. lack of nice beer in the arena.
    BUT
    It really shows how an incredible atmosphere can really make an event. it really is a special weekend and I can't wait.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Cant see why they cant do a little dj/beer fest on the friday night, bring your own beer sort of thing… Beer and drag racing sounds like a funny night..))
    It will be packed this year with a road ride at the same time!!

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Just noticed on the website, it says that last years Mayhem was on a TV program call S4C, did anyone see it and is it online???

IHN

Might go along and watch/pitbitch, but won't be riding. Did it last year for the first time, and I don't quite get the appeal.

I seem to be in a minority though, plenty love it, so I'm sure you'll have fun without me 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Keener now to do a solo 😐 again.

Waiting to find out if my heart problem is a problem or not. If I can't race road again I might turn once again to distance.
    If I turn up, bring your wellies.

Oggles
    Free Member

10man this year. The theory is there's just enough riding that it's still enjoyable :p the rest of the time can be spent drinking beer, singing in the woods, banging an old steel fork, and heckling.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

10man this year. The theory is there's just enough riding that it's still enjoyable :p the rest of the time can be spent drinking beer, singing in the woods, banging an old steel fork, and heckling.

Did think about 10 but couldnt find a 'Token' girl to ride!!!

xcstu
    Free Member

Just noticed on the website, it says that last years Mayhem was on a TV program call S4C, did anyone see it and is it online???

Bigface0_0 – yes it was on TV last year… welsh tv and the woman followed matt page winning the event.. most of it was spoken in welsh too… not sure if still online? matt had a link on is homepage when he won the event.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Found the website but think they must of removed it by now, oh well only a couple weeks until its time to download that form!! 😛

shortbaldone
    Free Member

accidentally forget to enter but go anyway is always an option, take the bike in case a team needs a rider for a lap but other than that enjoy watching the poor buggers carry their bikes for half a lap in the clag (which is more claggy than a claggy thing)offer beer, banter and spare mud tyres to riders….its odd, bar the first one, when it was dry and great fun, it seems to have been wet and horrible clay clag every other year i have done it. its one of those events where you pAY a large (ish) entry fee, get yourelf totally knackered doin a bit of riding, no sleep, not particularly a place you would choose to ride, get wet, cold, and by 3am are saying this is stupid never again. after 2pm you pack up and away with your muddy as hell everything, busted mechs etc etc, for tired drag home, thinking stuff that, not bothering next year, bloody rain moan moan and then, as if by magic, after a bath, a beer (or 3) and a knap, eureka!!! must do next year, maybe solo…or singlespeed…..or with a new bike that i obviously now need………
    and so it begins again……… 🙄

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Shirtbaldone:- that just about sums it up.. but I did manage a good couple of months worth of free original Source shower gel last year so I will be stocking up againt his year 😛

101st out of 150 solo men last year.
    Let's see if I can do better this year.
    If you see a big fat beardy bloke in a Vegan Cyclists jersey, say hello.

rockitman

I'm looking forward to it. 129/150 solo men last year. Due to work commitments on the Monday I couldn't give it my all. Really gonna try this year and training is well under way – another 10km run tonight in preparation for Hit The North on Saturday…

grtdkad

Can't wait, 5th year on the trot in the solo camp. Just need to be about 2-stone lighter and 20yrs younger.

sc-xc

Will probably go down to heckle again. Managed to get a good spot the other side of the course last year (the only campers on the hill, on the descent into camp)

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Well Mr Bethel, I do remember seein ya tent 😯

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else getting excited about Mayhem’ is closed to new replies.