• This topic has 21 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Anyone else get the Aldi torch this week?
  • igm

Claimed 500 lumens and 10 hour run time from 3 AAA batteries.

Nicely made with a zoom so OK for bars or helmet.

And the battery compartment looks like it might take a rechargeable if only I knew the size. Can anyone help me with that last point?

TPTcruiser

I can get three rechargable AAAs in the same slots as the regular AAAs. 😀
    SOS flash

igm

You can indeed get 3 AAAs in there – it amazed me too. 😉

But I was wondering if I could get a big fat single cell of the right voltage – Trout or smudge the right people to talk to?

Ah yes, the price was £11.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

very heavy though

mav12
    Free Member

would this be brighter than a lunar smart 7 lux light does the aldi one come with a bike mount

DezB
    Free Member

Is it really any better a buy that one of these?

Rio

Is it really any better a buy that one of these?

That looks exactly like the torch I got from ebay last year; runs on 3 AAAs, no way is it 5W! Not bad value for the rear light and the handlebar mount though.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of those ones DezB, and they are pretty decent.

Matched one up with a cheapo helmet light (VERY bright):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5W-CREE-LED-300Lm-Flashlight-Head-HeadLight-M5-Headlamp-/160414783952

And one of these bad boys:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1300-CREE-T6-LED-Bike-Bicycle-Light-Flashlight-Torch-V2-/160636012012

I’ve now got more light than I could possibly ever need, all for around 30 quid.

DezB
    Free Member

£20 including mount, rear light, batteries and charger – that is good!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Yeah, it is a good deal. Mine took a bit of fettling as the settings kept changing when I rode on rough ground, but they really are bright and it works a treat now. Probably a bit too heavy for a helmet, but that little helmet torch is really bright too, if a little ‘spotty.’

Edit: Have a look at this thread too:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ebay-cree-xml-20-torch-out-of-the-box-pics-review

downshep

Just bought the Aldi 5w light and switched it on. Well pleased with the bang for buck ratio. Very even spread in normal mode. The zoom would be of limited use on a bike but great as a torch for picking out distant objects. Doubt 3 x AAAs will last too long though.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Just got one of these and well impressed – output appears to be more than a 3w cree, less than an MCE / P7 . Dunno what the run times will be like

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

GlitterGary,

I have the same problem with the light changing mode over big bumps. What did you need to fettle? I tightened up the switch lock ring in the end which has helped but its still twitchy.

Cheers

FC

thepodge
    Free Member

I too have a torch that changes modes on bumpy ground

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

Do a search on “Ultrafire torch tips” on You Tube for a video that runs through the most common issues. Mine now appears to be fixed.

I did an extra mod to the spacer/packer that apparently older torches have by fiting a short M2 nut and bolt through the contact to give the +ve terminal a larger contact area. If yours has this you will see what I mean.

Back to the OP, yes I got an Aldi torch in the Anthracite colour and its a lovely piece of kit. Zoom is good – I was doing finger shadows on the neighbours roof last night. 😳 Nice finish as well.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Farmers Choice – Sorry I didn’t see this till now, glad you managed to fix the flickering. Mine took a bit of work but I got there in the end, might try it out properly tonight.

nbt

I picked one up, took it into the garden last night and it compares very favourably against my alpkit gamma headtorch and even against the MJ-872. Might try fitting it as a helmet light on tomorrow’s ride, just need to figure out the best way of using zip ties to do that – any suggestions?

v666ern
    Free Member

Just bought one, think i got the discount as mine was £10.99!

right any ideas people on how to mount the little b*gger to my bars??? ❓

CHB

Just bought one of these today….wow!
    For a spotting torch its amazing. Twice as bright as my Fenix L2D and the quality of the zoom lens is very high.
    I was able to light up the church spire 200m from my house.
    Not sure I would use one on a bike, but my son is very excited about haveing this as a general torch.

For dog walking and bike mounting the Fenix L2D remains champ ( not as bright but the metal strobe is great on the bike and the beam pattern and power is good for general dog walking).
    For getting a mega bright spot 150m away then I have never seen anything as good as this!

CHB

poo…double post!
    Mine was £10.99 too and nicely machined and annodised. Even came with 3 little AAA cells.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Must get me to ALDI tomorrow.

nbt

Used mine on thursday’s night ride as a bar light – wrapped a piece of inner tube round the torch, then used a couple of re-useable zip ties. gives excellent light for slow speed / road riding, had to reset the zoom position almost every time I turned it off or on though! I reckon that it might even be good enough for a helmet light, if I can work out how to fit it…

ps loads left in aldi hyde on wednesday when i went

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else get the Aldi torch this week?’ is closed to new replies.