Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • anyone else get achy thumb from shifting ?
  • iainc

I am suffering quite badly from this on left hand. I have the shifting as sweet as it can be – xt/slx, new cables, all lubed, so I can’t get the levers any lighter. I did see a physio about it end of last summer, who reckons a bit arthritic but more a tendon strain, and it did calm down, but back with a vengeance now -(. It’s base of thumb, so hurts pushing/gripping (screw top jars hurt)

I really don’t want to go to grip shifting and my knees wont do SS !!

I have just rotated my levers a bit more horizontal (now 30 to 40 degrees below vertical) to see if this might help.

any ideas, or excercises that might help ?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I find that I don’t get this problem so much on my singlespeed

baldSpot
    Free Member

gripshift?

boriselbrus
    Free Member

And that’s why I love my dual control levers 😀

Shame Shimano don’t make them any more 😥

nickjb
    Free Member

I used to have issue after recovering from a wrist op. I’ve recently switched to inboard brake levers and its better for me. I tried a few exercises (a springy grip thing for climbers and a powerball) but I didn’t really try hard.

LenBuch
    Free Member

I have a similar issue but brought on by guitar playing – pain on bike also when shifting etc.
    Its improving since seeing a physio who gave me some thumb stretches to do. Basically pull the thumb back and down towards outside of elbow – if that makes sense – hold for 30 seconds 3 x a day.
    As I said after three weeks its improving quite dramatically.

docrobster
    Free Member

I used to get this problem until I put new cables on. Less friction meant my thumb didn’t have to work as hard

iainc

new cables on, so can’t make the shifting any lighter. Brakes aleady inboard too.

Have tried powerball and the climbers ‘gripmaster’, which do help a bit.

LenBuch – you got any links to that stretch ?

Thanks

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Like above, grip shift. I had the same problem in the 90’s before modern shifters.

iainc

thanks – really don’t want to change 3 bikes over to grip shifters – very much last resort, although I may have to 😥

Tasso
    Free Member

I’m never quite sure why people think SS is hard on knees – IME it isn’t because when things get steep you are out of the saddle and using much more upper body strength combined with moving your legs about more than if you were just sitting spinning on a gearie. If your knees give you problems you may well benefit from some different leg exercise anyway to strengthen muscles around the kneecap not used much when pedalling. Any issues I’ve had in the past with knees have been bought on by geared riding.

Riding SS for a while on your existing bike may be your cheapest way to give that thumb a rest. Alternatively if you just don’t get on with SS why not try an Alfine which has but one shifter to worry about? A slightly off the wall idea might be a bar end shifter perhaps cobbled into a bar end? Or fit drop bars (Midge bars perhaps) and STI’s

Tasso
    Free Member

Another thought – just go 1×9?

iainc

some good ideas, thanks

alexpalacefan

I had the very same thing, grip shift was all that fixed it, although kept the xt for rear shifts.

That’s not much help is it.

APF

wwaswas

Not wishing to impune your bike maint skills but the onyl time I had problems with a very stiff front shifter was when I had the cable way too tight – it should be slack when the mechs on the small ring – any tension then tends to make the shifting into the middle and big rings much more of an effort.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Shame Shimano don’t make them any more

Really ? I didn’t know that ……….the best thing I ever did to my bikes was to change to dual control. No way am I ever going back.

highclimber
    Free Member

I was just about to put a post up about the very same problem only mine is with my rear shifter thumb. I serviced my bike yesterday and I am still finding my shifter really stiff. I am thinking that it must be the shifter and nothing else as i Lubed the mech (slx) and cable and its still stiff.

LenBuch
    Free Member

http://www.bryantx.gov/brazoswat/stretch.htm

Only thing I can find – its stretch numder 3 and hold it for 30 seconds and do it about 3 times a day.

iainc

Len – been on hol for a week, thanks for the info, will give it a go, cheers

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘anyone else get achy thumb from shifting ?’ is closed to new replies.