• This topic has 66 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by cokie.
Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Anyone else eyeing up a 2015 Orange Clockwork 120 S (650b / 27.5")
  • qwerty
    Free Member

[rams rudder to full lock, applies maximum thrust to engine room in a bid to move this thread back on track]

So, does anyone own / ridden / have any real life pics of one? 15″ looks good on paper for me.

[/rams rudder to full lock, applies maximum thrust to engine room in a bid to move this thread back on track]

haggis1978

Jb666 i dont know you from Adam or any of the people chatting in this thread. How am i supposed to know that you guys all work and own bike shops? And even so does that mean that everything you say is gospel? Did you even read my initial post? The guy at Orange admitted that most of their frames are fabricated in Taiwan. I was told this by my very good friend who was told this by the guy who visited the factory. His very good friend and an aquaintance of mine.

Now you can imply that im arrogant all day long and use the name Steve implying you know him and where he designs his bikes blah blah blah all day long. I dont really care. I do know what i was told. And thats all i said and then I asked why was it so hard to believe? A lot of people have just come along and said “Youre Wrong!, youre mates a dirty filthy liar!” Who really cares?

For the record the guy wasnt trying to sell me a bike, he visited Orange and asked to see where the frames were fabricated and they dodged the question several times before telling him they were built in taiwan and hence no he didnt mishear them, hes not a cold hearted ruthless salesman and im not a troll.

Plus mentioning the “my mate said so” argument? Eh? So im supposed to believe you lads? After treating me with such contempt for suggesting that a businessman is doing something that only a businessman would do? Try to make money.

Plus who gives a s**t how many bikes youve got? I could own 22 cars and 8 of them are VW Golfs but that doesnt mean i know exactly how theyre made!

klunky
    Free Member

FYI producing bikes in Taiwan etc. is not usually cheaper just faster and better quality.
    Certainly when Santacruz moved production to Taiwan it was to increase production rate and improve QC as opposed to cheap labour as many think.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I do know what i was told

You are now being told something else. Why is it so hard to let go?

chestrockwell

Why would Orange lie? Taiwan built bikes have always been part of the range, back to the very first Clockworks. In the early days the only bike built in the UK was the mega limited Formula. They have never hidden this fact. They sell the FS these days on the back of being UK built, never suggesting anything but so to then do that would surely open themselves up legally?

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve an Orange. It’s very nice.

jam1e
    Free Member

The guy at Orange admitted that most of their frames are fabricated in Taiwan. I was told this by my very good friend who was told this by the guy who visited the factory

Great! I love a good game of Chinese Whispers (or is that racist now?)

haggis1978

Im not wanting this thread to take on the form of an argument and hope it doesnt come across that way. If you look back at the start of the thread someone else also questioned their origins hence why i made my comment. You could look at it from another perspective following JB666s’ comments and say that if i am disputing here with all the STWers the origins of Orange frames and that all of these individuals are working in the bike trade (and as such naturally they know far more than i ever could about anything bike related) then maybe these individuals all have a vested interest in keeping Joe Public believing that his frame is fabricated in the UK as well. If Orange admitted to one bike shop owner then whats to say that a few others know?

ScottChegg you have asked pretty much the same question i asked several times in this thread and didnt get an answer to.

If you are told something different from what you were previously told then why is it so hard to let go? Plus why is it so unbelievable?

Again made in Taiwan doesnt mean its poor quality. Quite the opposite when it comes to bike frames i believe. Im out of here anyway. This thread is boring me now.

Fwiw the Clockwork is super nice and i like the colour.

OP sorry your thread turned out like this.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

This thread is boring me now.

Ah! The flounce.

I don’t have a third hand tale from a guy in a bike shop who’s next door neighbour’s dog’s has a vet who’s milkman once heard something from a guy in the pub. I’ve been to the factory. I’ve seen them welding Alpines.

And it wasn’t in Asia, it was in outer Halifax.

And the Clockwork looks yummy. Orange hardtails always look just right.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Haggis, have you tried calling Orange Bikes direct and asking them yourself. That way you will know first hand the answer.?

And OP, yes that does look a very nice bike. 😀

jonnyboy666
    Free Member

@haggis,

since you singled me out specifically twice i’ll give you a little reply, i was quite polite in my post above, i wasn’t rude, i wasn’t offensive, i stated some facts and i explained my knowledge and experience as an example of proof that i am not just some internet forum tart.

i didn’t imply you were arrogant i asked if you were, there is a difference.

you on the other hand have been quite rude or sarcastic.

i don’t have a vested interest in hiding something from customers, i currently don’t work in an Orange dealer, although i have just bought a new Orange 5. the reason i told you what i know is that i do know it and i know you are wrong, also frankly your argument is based on nothing other than what you have been told by a mate who obviously doesn’t know either.

the thing i also find funny is that in you above post you admit that:-

“naturally they know far more than i ever could about anything bike related”

because “they” are in the bike trade, but when these same people tell you that you are wrong about something you still choose to believe your mate based on hearsay.

like i said before if your mate was having the factory tour at the assembly building they would dodge the build question as the frames are not made at that site, they have a separate location for that a few miles away.

you keep asking everyone why it would be so hard to believe the frames are made in taiwan but why do you find it so hard to believe they are made in Halifax?

regarding the original post though, i think the clockwork is a good bike, being a fan of the original versions though i’d prefer it to be steel just because of the use of the clockwork name, but being aluminium means it’s probably a bit lighter, noir much in real terms though. that said i had a good look over them when i got my 5 last week and i think they look good, a little more expensive than an equivalent spec bike from the bigger brands but still a good bike. but i’d pay extra to ride an Orange anyway just because it’s a bit more of an individual choice.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It was me that started the made in Taiwan thing as it’s fairly common knowledge that the ht’s are imported. Personally there is not that much room for brand premium in the 1k hard tail market.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

though i’d prefer it to be steel just because of the use of the clockwork name

Orange have banged the steel hardtail drum longer than almost anyone. The R8 and P7 were the last and I don’t think either of the last versions sold brilliantly. So, go alloy, drop the price and the lineup makes a bit more sense.

If it’s a Clockwork it’s more important to be orange than steel anyway!

IMHO

jonnyboy666
    Free Member

fairpoint about the steel, i have the 2007 clockwork and i still love it, with me it’s not so much about the performance benefit of aluminium, more the tradition that it was a steel frame.

would have loved to get the 2008 prestige, i rode one and it was really nice but i couldn’t justify having that aswel, also the r8 in 853 was lovely, wasn’t overly keen on the paint though but with Orange and their custom option that wouldn’t really have been an issue.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I did like the look of the R8; and I was ‘this’ close to buying one off here in summer. But I’d just bought a 2008 Prestige frame off terrahawk.

My lad has a 15″ Prestige, and I’m building up the 17″ to keep him company.

qwerty
    Free Member

Anyone know if Orange will build a hardtail bike to customer spec? I’m guessing they have the frames along with all the individual components. Nothing too fancy, just different to what they spec the complete bike with. I’ve emailed them to ask but not had any reply. Not had time to get into a dealer to ask yet.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Just finished building up a new Crush Fwiw…

qwerty
    Free Member

jaffejoffer – Nice. did you buy frame only? dealer or Orange direct?

wl
    Free Member

haggis – I’m about as sure as sure can be that Orange are still making plenty of their frames in Halifax. Your mate might not be lying but he could just be plain wrong.

binners

jaffejoffer – that looks like fun!

If a frame rides as good as my P7, then I couldn’t give a monkeys chuff where the physical act of sticking the tubes together occurred. What matters is what the person designing it was doing, and what the end result is.

That Clockwork looks bloody lovely. As noted already… Orange hardballs just look ‘right’. And ride as good as they look.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Frame only through Leisure Lakes. i dealt with Orange direct right up to the point where i said ‘ill take it’ and they said i had to order through LL?

i upgraded from a raw on-one 45650b – the mrs didnt even notice 8)

qwerty
    Free Member

Jj- how’d you communicate with Orange? Phone or email (if so which one)? I know exactly what I want, but had no reply to email. I have a localish dealer I can purchase via.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

i was using this address sales@orangebikes.co.uk had no problems, very helpful infact.

qwerty
    Free Member

Hhmmmmm… Orange don’t do the Clockwork120S as a frame only or as a bike builds made easy option 😥

Still like the look of it though, and i reckon it suits my needs. HopeHoops would be nice and some BC rubber.

brant
    Free Member
    qwerty
    Free Member

Got one:

[/url]2015-02-03_10-43-58 by martinddd, on Flickr[/img]

A modern twist (biggish wheels/wide bars/suspension/gears/tubeless/dropper going on soon) to my rigid 2007 Cove HJ SS its supplementing.

cokie

Looks ace!

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else eyeing up a 2015 Orange Clockwork 120 S (650b / 27.5")’ is closed to new replies.