Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • anyone drink gin
  • joe28
    Free Member

if you had to choose between beefeater,bombay sapphire or tanqueray which would you pick.or is there anything better for 20 bucks that i can make gin and tonic’s or mix with something like orange juice or lemonade

TooTall
    Free Member

Tanqueray, Sapphire, Beefeater in that order.

And that’s a VERY odd 1st post on a mountain biking forum in the UK.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Tanqueray, Sapphire, Beefeater in that order.

This. Also have a look at Brokers.

joe28
    Free Member

And that’s a VERY odd 1st post on a mountain biking forum in the UK.

well it is the offtopic section,i dont know very many alcohol forums so i figured it didnt hurt to just ask

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Of the 3 I prefer tanqueray, but that’s personal. Why are you mixing it with lemonade?

TooTall
    Free Member

He sounds American – bucks – so just buy a load of Seagrams and mix it with orange juice.

sbob
    Free Member

TooTall – Member

He sounds American – bucks – so just buy a load of Seagrams and mix it with orange juice.

Laid back! 😀

PiknMix
    Free Member

I would wait until a bottle of Plymouth went on offer for £20 but if I had to chose out of the three then Bombay Sapphire

theotherjonv

Tesco do a surprisingly good* botanical gin.

* That’s unfair – just because it’s Tesco no reason why they shouldn’t have access to an excellent distiller for their own brand ‘Finest Aromatic’ gin.

And Aldi’s wins awards against the big boys too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/10013191/At-this-price-gins-a-real-tonic.html

mike_p
    Free Member

On a similar theme, I tried Sainsburys TTD gin a short while ago, mainly for budgetary reasons, and it’s really rather good

Drac

Agreed most odd first post. You sign up to a MTB forum to post in a chat area about Gin?

jon1973
    Free Member

To be fair most people on here never discuss anything to do with bikes, so he’s in good company.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Agreed most odd first post. You sign up to a MTB forum to post in a chat area about Gin?

Who cares? It’s hardly spam.

jeffl

Prefer Bombay Sapphire myself.

finbar
    Free Member

I got a bottle of Hendricks with some BA airmiles I needed to spend recently. Yum.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Push the boat out, go Cornish. Tarquins or Elemental are lovely.

thomthumb
    Free Member

bulldog gin is nice, not quite as sharp as some gins. the botanicals mix really well with lemonade.

Hendricks is a favourite at ours.

good quality tonic (or other mixer) is important too.

finbar
    Free Member

Thomthumb – Fevertree tonic here. What do you favour?

Drac

Who cares? It’s hardly spam.

Quite often spammers start with innocent looking posts. Do you want to buy some Lego?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I see. Not very democratic though, innocent until proven guilty etc.

He also came back with a fair point, which spammers don’t usually do. 🙂

Drac

Do you want to buy some spy equipment?

Trust me they do. He’s not been bombed yet as he has the benefit of doubt it’s just very odd and randomn. Just like the Lego and spy equipment posts, both of which replied then one of them happened to find a website selling the items he wanted. They even posted a handy link to it all.

theotherjonv

Don’t bomb him yet. Even if he is eventually going to introduce his artisan gin company it might interest a few here.

oldnpastit

Well, the way things are going at work, I could actually do with some cheap-but-strong gin recommendations. Or glue.

Drac

Same thing surely?

Daffy

Hendricks is usually worth the extra £8 IMO, but If I had to chose from the above, Bombay.

mrsfry
    Free Member

What about ‘Gordons Gin’ 🙁

thomthumb
    Free Member

Fevertree tonic here. What do you favour?

fevertree as a preference. but certainly not sweeteners nor lime flavouring.

Drac

Just checked one of the other posts. Very similar broken English and supposedly from America too.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Trust me they do. He’s not been bombed yet as he has the benefit of doubt it’s just very odd and randomn. Just like the Lego and spy equipment posts, both of which replied then one of them happened to find a website selling the items he wanted. They even posted a handy link to it all.

Fair enough! 🙂

chipps

And (keeping on topic) what about the best gin for gin martinis? Still the same?

I’ve only just discovered the delight of home-made martinis and I fear it could be the end of me… 😯

vintagewino
    Free Member

I tell you what, Gimlets – made the way Philip Marlowe drinks them in The Long Goodbye – are well nice. 50/50 gin and lime cordial. is it lunchtime yet?

ocrider

chipps – I work here
    And (keeping on topic) what about the best gin for gin martinis?

Gin Mare, if you like olives. It’s rather different to most offerings, but it has a definite savoury finish.

deviant
    Free Member

And (keeping on topic) what about the best gin for gin martinis?

Any.

The trick is the ratio of gin to vermouth… i prefer a 50/50 mix….half fill glass with Gin, top the rest up with Martini extra dry, add a few ice cubes…. Lovely drink

Gin that’s nice to drink by itself; Tanqueray has a place, Gordon’s is inoffensive and easy to slurp, Hendricks is actually quite nice, as is Silent Pool from the silent pools springs outside Guildford.

mrblobby
    Free Member

How much vermouth 😯

ocrider

How much vermouth

This ^

Don’t overdo it, deviant!
    Wave the glass in the general direction of Italy and you’re good.

Drac

I thought vermouth was a no no in true Martinis?

ocrider

It should be around 6 parts gin to 1 dry vermouth, but the hipsters are trying to bring back the 1920’s recipe which called for 2:1.
    Don’t they know anything about evolution?

mrblobby
    Free Member

This process is about right for me…

https://www.bombaysapphire.com/en-GB/cocktails/martini.aspx

motivforz
    Free Member

I can thoroughly recommend “Conker” from Dorset. They use fantastic local botanicals, it tastes and smells of Gorse to me in particular, reminding me of exploring where I grew up. Tricky to find but well worth seeking out!

soobalias
    Free Member

mmmm gin mmmmmmm
    the brecon gin we were shown in Betsy last year was nice.

nicer than the landlady when my mate, offered a sniff of the bottle, free poured himself a shot into an empty pint pot on the bar.

still we bought half the bottle after that, which calmed her a little.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘anyone drink gin’ is closed to new replies.