Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Anyone done a formal Leadership & Management course?
  • ElShalimo

Are these types of course useful for career progression?

In many companies to move up the greasy pole being an experienced manager isn’t enough, some additional qualifications are often required. A friend recommended one to me but I don’t know anyone who has done one.
    Has anyone done one? Good/ bad experiences?
    Thanks

imnotverygood

In my experience these sort of courses may get you promoted, but they don’t make you a better manager.

ElShalimo

I’d probably agree but I was thinking longer term, maybe even for the next job etc.

chewkw
    Free Member

Yes, it’s useful for career progression or to fill in those tick box bureaucratic requirements.

Other than that they are shite coz you either got it or you don’t.

DT78
    Free Member

I’m in a similar boat looking around to see what is available which may help me progress. Just being good at your current role does not qualify you a shot at the next rung.

From my observations it is mostly about your network at a senior level rather than your qualifications.

That said I think memberships to things like Management institute and similar are probably as useful as an Mba to get through a cv sift. Often depends on what the decision makers qualifications are. If you have the luxury of knowing them find out what their credentials, likely having the same will give you an edge.

Like I said same boat here, so welcome others thoughts

hammerite
    Free Member

I did this http://www.beds.ac.uk/ies/training/cmi as it was being offered free at the time so my company didn’t mind me having an afternoon off work.

Relatively interesting, but I didn’t feel it covered much more than I’d studied at university many moons ago (business degree). It didn’t help me too much in my previous company and then I completely changed career. It might help me in my new role though if I get in a position where climbing the ladder is possible.

oldnpastit

I’ve done some courses on “soft skills” paid for my previous employer. They’ve mostly been really very useful.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

on principle thinking you can’t learn anything is dangerous…

If it’s to fill gaps and improve on things it could be good. First step for most people is to accept you have weaknesses and be willing to sort it out. If done right it can give people the skills needed to make them a good manager.

It could also be a great money maker for someone with a stack of powerpoint and some sharp suits.

growinglad
    Free Member

Don’t really agree with that, if that was the case professional athletes wouldn’t have coaches.

Granted, you have to have some base skills, but like many things in life, training and tools used correctly quite often help improve things.

I’m a very good people person, but for instance, when someones isn’t doing a great job I would find it difficult to point this out without putting their nose out of joint…at the end of the day, it’s getting the best out of what you have to work with.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Yes, they are useful. People don’t have it. Those who think they do are more often than not crap managers and leaders – and they’re the worst type – those who think they’re good but actually aren’t.

Coyote
    Free Member

It’s all about mindset. If you go in with the attitude that this is all about corporate bollocks and business cliches then yes it will be a waste of time. However if you go into it with an open mind and a determination to take as much as you can from it then it will probably be very worthwhile.

hels
    Free Member

I did a “Middle Management Development Programme” at my last perm job, they paid for a bunch of us to go through it, something about succession planning and investing in your people. Was great ! Lots of navel-gazing, quite a lot about personal leadership style, more about team-working than I thought it would be (which says a lot and was a big learner for me).

Not sure about promotion prospects, but I learned heaps and it is definitely on my CV.

P.S and in general showing a willingness to train and learn should be received positively. If it isn’t, change jobs.

ransos
    Free Member

Yes. If nothing else, taking some time out to focus on my strengths and weaknesses was useful, and I would like to think I’m a better manager as a result.

sc-xc

I’m just about to start an ILM level 7 in Leadership & Management. I have been on some good and not so good courses in my time, but generally take something from all of them.

As above, commitment to development looks good – in my experiecne only the most naive or arrogant feel there is nothing more to learn.

I have recently completed a short course around situational leadership, I would recommend this is you wanted a useful toolkit…but as with everything, it’s how you pick out what’s right for you, your organisation and your team.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes, have done many all paid for by employer. Getting on the course can be an effort as at various employers the courses have been prerequisits for consideration for top level promotions. IME you generally get something out of any course. Whether I would sign up for and pay for an external course, not so sure unless I was convinced of the benefits and if the current employer won’t pay then it’s a sign they don’t rate the course or you, so an external course may be better for your job prospects elsewhere – this fair enough of course

ElShalimo

I know I can learn a lot more and would consider myself to be a reasonable manager but I want to improve. I may not get promoted but if it makes me a better manager then it’s clearly worthwhile.
    How does the CMI route compare to say PgDip/Cert/MSc?

br
    Free Member

In my experience these sort of courses may get you promoted, but they don’t make you a better manager.

I’ll disagree as the Leadership vs Management course I did about 10 years ago changed my (working) life.

A previous Director sent me on it when he wanted me to take on a new dept (actually a motley group of folk, numbering nearly 50 spread across Europe working on loads of undelivered projects).

As he said “you’ll never manage that lot, so lead them instead”.

Opened my eyes to a whole new world of how to actually get stuff done.

blurty

I’ve done several of these courses over the years. The benefits are I think:

* It gets you noticed within your company
    * You will develop a tool-box of techniques to deal with problem situations
    * Presentation skills are important, so you can perform well at Company events etc
    * You build up a network of people who are also on the way up
    * Senior management courses (I.e. the strategic stuff) is better taught to you in structured manner, than learnt on the job (Unless you are Alan Sugar – a natural)
    * It’s interesting! It’s great to learn new things

I’ve always opted for any courses going and it’s stood me in good stead.

I’ve done some general courses like The Industrial Society’s ‘Fiveways’ course & a couple of residential courses at Roffey Park + loads of specific stuff (Negotiation, delivering bad news, coaching, leadership, etc etc).

Does your company have a scheme to follow, or a budget you could tap into? Or are you thinking of funding this yourself?

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I am half way through an ILM Level 5 and i am finding it a useful tool.
    It may not be earth shattering information but it is definitely a good prod to reflect and change certain practices and also to recognise why something things seem to go well and others do not.
    After that get yourself on a Presentation skills course, focussed on the physical talking and being in front of people. I was a lot more nervous than i thought i would be despite presenting to people on a daily basis to some extent or another.

Drac

Yes I’ve done 2 found the very useful, you’re not born a manage or leader so any help guiding you in the right direction is a good thing. Ruling then out as shite as the course you did was is just silly.

40mpg

I’ve done a few leadership and management courses. I got some very useful techniques and tools from them which I use on a daily basis.

Also, working with a team of managers in an organisation who have all had teh same training makes life much more straightforward as the whlole team approaches goals in a similar fashions and understands each others motives for certain actions.

Opsis Consulting

ElShalimo

@blurty – It’s not clear who pays for it but I’ll probably end up contributing a large part of it. I need to find an appropriate course before discussing it with my boss, then we can work out the funding.

b r – Member
    As he said “you’ll never manage that lot, so lead them instead”.

I think that’s where I’m headed, you can’t change the way some people think or behave but you can be better equipped to lead/manage them.

Are there real differences between CMI and ILM?

tenfoot

I did one a few years back. The highlight was watching an old Gregory Peck film – “12 O’clock High” after which we had to discuss the management techniques used and who failed, and why.

Quite interesting. Good film too – I have watched it again since.

McHamish
    Free Member

I’ve done a couple of courses that get taught to all managers and ‘leaders’ in the company.

They were ok, but didn’t turn me into a management guru overnight…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Anyone done a formal Leadership & Management course?’ is closed to new replies.