Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone doing 'The Hell of the West'?
  • xc-steve
    Free Member

Looks like its going to be an ‘interesting’ day in the saddle!

Clover

I really wanted to do this as it looks ace so was gutted when they changed the date – I have an entry for the Three Peaks (yey!) and it’s the same day.

MrAgreeable

I was planning to do it, couldn’t make the original date, was pleased when they changed it, then forgot all about it. And now I’m tempted again!

xc-steve
    Free Member

Ha! Yeah have easily covered the distance on my MTB and on the Road but off road on a CX bike is a whole new kettle of fish… not been this apprehensive before a ride/race in ages!

Think you can still enter @Mr Agreeable

clubber
    Free Member
    SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Can’t believe I missed that, it’s right on my doorstep.

Is that photo on the website Bellever?

the00
    Free Member

Grrr, I’m busy. But it sounds ace.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Yes I am ….just debating whether to put xc tyres on my 29er as I have no xc bike

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

Or for another long distance CX / mtb ride….SPAM Blast around Salisbury Plain

MrAgreeable

Well, I’ve entered. They’re doing entry on the day too. And the weather’s looking a bit less biblical. 🙂

jam-bo

Yes that’s just by the bottom car park at bellever.

MrAgreeable

Does the route include the rock garden? 🙂

slugwash
    Free Member

Damn! I wouldn’t’ve minded doing that, and I feel on form at the moment as well. Got an upriver kayaking trip to licensed premises that day though.

It’ll be interesting to see how many people on CX bikes get to Princetown before the 1PM cut-off time (halfway around the 55 mile course & three hours after the start). I haven’t studied the route in detail but I’m pretty sure I’d be rolling in there well past the deadline on my MTB.

bagpuss
    Free Member

I’m in. On a Solaris with proper tyres. Should be fun.

instanthit
    Free Member

Phew, that was a tough ride, made the cut off point at Princetown but bailed and did the short route. Still a four and half hour ride for 42 miles, and the Dartmoor beer made it all worth while! Everyone else enjoy it?

xc-steve
    Free Member

I was part of the clear up riding after everyone didn’t quite appreciate how tough it was going to be. Anyone clear all the climbs on a CX bike?

MrAgreeable

I didn’t even see anyone clearing all the climbs on an MTB! I was doing fine until I got to the concrete slab climb up Coombe Down, it looked like it should have been rideable but it was surprisingly slippy.

I think that was pretty much the toughest ride I’ve done this year, good thing there were lots of fun bits too. We took the short option at Princetown and I can still barely walk today.

bagpuss
    Free Member

Missed the cut off by 2 mins having badly underestimated the whole thing, probably just as well. Loved every minute though, even the 20+% tarmac climbs.

Clover

Sounds ace. Any pics?

Maybe they’ll make it a different date to the Three Peaks next year so I can do both.

MrAgreeable
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone doing 'The Hell of the West'?’ is closed to new replies.