Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Anyone dabble in 4X?
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

As someone who used to race motocross I have always had a bit of a thing for elbow to elbow racing.

BMX has always been something I wished I’d taken up as a kid but I missed the boat and was never a natural ‘jumper’. Anyway, I do fancy getting back into a bit of proper racing and being 6’3 tall I can’t help but think 4X might be the right way to go.

Anyone here given it a go? I would assume a 4X bike is a little easier and more forgiving to ride than a race BMX?

GW
    Free Member

Where are you? 4X (and BMX racing) is most popular/accessable in the South.

there some pretty tall BMX racers too.

it’d help quite a bit if you were a “jumper”

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I’m based in the South East.

I can jump but it’s just something I need to work on and be more confident with. Motocross and DH has enabled me to jump but I’d never say it’s something I’m naturally comfortable with. I’ve never ridden a small hardtail so have no real frame of reference for how easily they jump. A full on DH rig makes it easy, likewise with an MX bike.

chiefgrooveguru

I’d be quite interested in trying 4X at some point – I ride much quicker when I’m around others rather than against the clock (the fire of direct competition cancelling out my risk averse nature), I enjoy the tactics of head to head racing, and I like how 4X is like BMX crossed with DH so you get interesting surfaces and technical challenge without bonkers speed. From what I’ve seen you need quite a bit of jumping and pumping skill to do well though! And 4X hardtails aren’t that far removed from what I choose to ride all the time.

GW
    Free Member

I don’t think a DH bike makes jumping easy at all, it just makes not giving a **** about your landings a viable option 😉

Have you been to Chicksands? nice easy (flat) 4X track there, dunno about the rest of the SE 4X tracks

ayles1983
    Free Member

Been looking to get into 4x too. I’ve been practicing alot at my local bmx track perfecting my jumping/flow/smoothness and manualing. I think unless you get these dialled you will struggle racing competitively. (obviously fitness etc. is important too)
    So would peolpe recommend chicksands as an ideal track to start out on as its only 30mins from me?

onewing
    Free Member

i ride chicksands a lot and love the 4x track. it is a bit worn in some places but is good to start learning how to handle the bike. the dual slalam is very good too to hone your skills.

you will need a 4x specific bike though as any bike with more than a 125mm of travel will be overkill and a bitch to pedal around the track.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Raced 4x for 9years stopping in 2008.

Plenty of small ht’s around in the UK. Small frame, 100mm travel fork, short cage rear mech, road cassette, light but strong wheels, fast rolling tyres, 180 disc front, 160 rear. Chain device, light strong cranks ( saints etc)

Lots of choice in the UK as so many good handrail companies.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

I live in Aylesbury and know that there is are 4x tracks not too far away at Chicksands and Aston Hill. I’d love to give it a go but the last time I tried riding a 4x track at Aston Hill on my XC bike I scared my self….

I found doing the drop offs on the DH tracks frightened me less! perhaps I should give Chicksands a go if it is a good track to learn on.

STW 4X day anyone?

_tom_
    Free Member

I don’t think a DH bike makes jumping easy at all, it just makes not giving a **** about your landings a viable option

+1, DH bikes are crap for jumping on compared to a bmx or DJ hardtail. Personally I’d get a bmx depending on the tracks you have available, rollers etc can be tight enough on 20″ wheels and you really appreciate the acceleration and “direct” feel (for lack of a better term) over a 26″ hardtail.

Oh and the Aston Hill 4x was awful last time I rode there. Chicksands one is good.

handyandy
    Free Member

Just built up a 4x bike to have a go next year. I’m 40 and fat and dont care that I will most likely come last.

Trimix
    Free Member

Go to Chicksands, its a great place to try it out.

br
    Free Member

Chicksands 4X track can just be rolled down and is sandy. Aston Hill 4X is neither of these things…

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Find local BMX tracks and learn the skills there. BMX tracks are hard work and make you sprint/improve your power. It’s also not all about jumping, learn to pump the tracks by trying to complete full laps off the start without pedaling, hard at first but a great way to learn just how fast you can go. Practice the jumps but also try to get through them without any airtime by manualing on the back wheel.

Get to a club night and learn the gate, they won’t mind you being on a MTB. You’ll learn alot from the bmxers.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Cheers folks. Great feedback.

I’m definitely going to give it a go. I miss the bar-to-bar action with proper racing and it will be good to learn some new skills, plus I’ve got a few decent BMX tracks nearby for practice.

Incidentally, I personally do find downhill bikes jump well because of their stability in the air but then I come from a motocross background so I’m used to the weight and stability they offer.

_tom_
    Free Member

If you try a bmx you’ll see how much easier they are to get up in the air 😀

The British 4X national series is tiny compared to the national and even regional BMX racing, but is a lot of fun and much more laid back/friendly. Check out http://www.british4x.com.

djglover
    Free Member

Just race your mtb, I did a few times. I even won a race on it once.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

If you try a bmx you’ll see how much easier they are to get up in the air

I’m sure they are. I always worry how sketchy they are once your are up though.

The British 4X national series is tiny compared to the national and even regional BMX racing, but is a lot of fun and much more laid back/friendly. Check out http://www.british4x.com.

Yeah, I went to a round at Leamington Spa to take a look earlier this year. Good atmosphere and good fun to watch.

Just race your mtb, I did a few times. I even won a race on it once.

I would but all I have is a Nukeproof Scalp and Spesh Camber. I don’t think either of those would do anything for me in a 4X race.

xiphon
    Free Member

How about a 24″ cruiser?

_tom_
    Free Member

I’m sure they are. I always worry how sketchy they are once your are up though.

Honestly it’s not too bad. The first few rides feel a bit odd especially after riding mtb for so long but when you get used to it, going back to a mtb feels awful for jumps!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Anyone dabble in 4X?’ is closed to new replies.