Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Anyone commute on an expensive bike?
  • xcstu
    Free Member

only reason I got it to commute…

andrewh
    Free Member

Just bought a new frame for the commuter, DirtyJo F-Creme for £85.
    My colleagues said ‘you could have bought a whole bike for that!’

XT/317 wheels
    Magura HS33s
    Maxlight rigid forks
    RaceFace Deus headset
    Ritchey WCS stem
    MaxM MX-5 carbon riser bars
    FSA Power-pro cranks
    MRP 1.X chain device and Onza tensioner
    XTR chain
    Shimano 959 pedals
    Hope Vision1 light
    Various other bits.

Around £6-700ish as mostly ebay bits. Not as fancy as some here. My colleagues think that is a rediculous amount to spend. (9 mile commute the short way, they spend £30k on cars to do 2 miles 🙄
    )
    They don’t know what my carbon Yeti cost. Wouldn’t ride to work on that!

PeteG55
    Free Member

Got a CAAD10 Ultegra on order and I fully intend to use it for a bit of commuting once the weather improves. Should be able to clock up somewhere near 40miles a day 😯

aracer
    Free Member

Am I the first to admit to commuting on a bike with a Campag Record groupset (complete apart from a Chorus chainset)? That’s on my best road bike which gets used for commuting duties in the summer (I only ride a bike if it’s dry!) Admittedly it’s still only a £2k bike as the Record is the bling highlight.

snakebite
    Free Member

Blushes…. my blinged rat is almost gone, cant be doing with anymore mear road misses, so since August, my commute which is all off road is either this

or this

Gary_M
    Free Member

As others have said I guess it depends what you mean by expensive. I use a Kona Jake the snake which with upgrades would cost about £1500 to replace but my commute is 20 miles each way so I can kinda justify it.

Zoolander
    Free Member

Thus was taken on the way to work a fortnight ago.
    It’s only 5 miles each way so no need fir skinny wheels really and it’s always nice to have the option to take the longer and dirtier route home!

Why the resentment towards anyone getting an expensive bike on BTW ?
    Does everyone who gets a company car pick the cheapest model they can find ?

Anyway, I’m commuting mostly by single speed now.
    Before that I was using this.

Lynskey by Vegan Graham, on Flickr

Lynskey Ridgeline 29er
    Rohloff
    Fox Talas
    Truvativ Noir
    Etc.
    Over £3500 at new prices.

Luckily, I work in a bus depot with anything up to 50 000 litres of diesel and £5000 in cash on site. I’ve got a pretty secure bike storage area. 😉

headfirst
    Free Member

I’ve driven past a guy on a Colnago mountain bike in Huddersfield a couple of times recently, that must be worth a few bob…I didn’t even know Colnago did mountain bikes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Salsa Casseroll.

Not in any way trick, but I spend more time on this bike than any other, so I’ve spent money on it so it’s as fun to ride as it can be while being reliable, cheap to run and versatile.

miketually
    Free Member

My commuter was £999.99 new on CTW.

It’s worth a bit more in this photo, because there’s £2.5k of Ragley TD-1 in the box on the back.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Pfft. Sling the frame over your shoulder!

AlasdairMc

I vary between a Genesis Altitude 10 and a singlesped Rockhopper, which has been ideal in the snow. However, I have been known to take my Enduro along instead, just for the ride home.

I completely agree that you should commute on what you want, I spend more time on my commute than on proper offroad rides, so I might as well be comfortable and fast.

binners

I regularly commute on my Intense 5.5. And why not. You never know when the urge might take you 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I think the handlebars alone are well over £100 (Edge/Enve Composites). Total bike would prehaps be £1500.

donks
    Free Member

025 by donks73, on Flickr

It this Kinesis decade, which has to serve my daly commute plus any other riding duties as its all I have but it seems to be ok despite having no tread left on the back wheel and and the odd bit of creaking (easily fixed with a good clean), I never bother with road gear ratios or slick tyres and leave the suspension alone as i just enjoy messing about on it and dont really go hammer and tongs on the 7 mile ride. I occasionally get passed by some freak with gears but have resigned my self to the knowledge that I will take 5 mins longer to get to work.

stayhigh

I use my either my Heckler for going off road to work which is 13 to however long I feel like each way. Guesstimate cost of £1800-2000.

When going on the road (13-15 miles) I use my Scandal with City Jet tyres, value around £8-900.

DezB
    Free Member

My RM Solo (on the ‘recent purchases’ thread) is far to bling for a commuter. Original RRP was £2500..
    Up until now I’ve only ever used 2nd hand frames & bits from Freeads/Ebay for commuting, but thought it was about time I treated meself.

samuri
    Free Member

My pimpino is my current commuter.

Seen here with mudguards on for winter (I hate them but they’re really good at their job)

pompino by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

Not sure how much that cost me because I stopped counting after a while when the numbers got scary but it’s more than a grand.

In April I’ll be buy a bike on CTW if it’s still going, probably a Roadrat, but I recently saw this and want one, a lot.

Antti Finland Per S by Singular Cycles, on Flickr

simondbarnes

My Summer commuter is a Specialized Tarmac Expert which I did through cycle to work.

Needs a pink saddle by simondbarnes, on Flickr

ChrisB
    Free Member

FRAME – On One Il Pompino XL (57cm)
    FORK – On One Il Pompino
    WHEELS – Mavic Open Pro 36h / Goldtec hubs (fixed) / DT Swiss spokes
    TYRES – Vittoria Randonneur 700 x 28C
    INNER TUBES – Continental Cross 28 – 25-35c 42mm
    SPROCKET – Dura Ace 16t
    LOCK RING – Dura Ace
    CRANKSET – Sugino 75 – 170mm, 48t
    BB – Sugino 75
    PEDALS – Burgtec Penthouse Flats MKII
    SADDLE – SDG Bel-Air RL Ti
    SEATPOST – Thomson Elite 27.2 x 410mm
    SEAT CLAMP – Salsa 30.0mm Lip-Lock
    STEM – Thomson X2 100mm x 10deg x 31.8
    BARS – Answer Pro Taper OS
    GRIPS – ODI Ruffian
    BRAKES – Avid Single Digit Titanium
    BRAKE LEVERS – Avid Speed Dial Ultimate Ti
    HEADSET – Chris King NoThreadSet Sotto Voce 1-1/8
    CHAIN – KMC Kool
    C/TENSIONER – Surly Tuggnut
    QR SKEWERS – Shimano XTR M960 / Quando

Now has Deda Newton drop bars and Tektro V levers.

About £1800 new I think. I paid about £800 from mostly second-hand parts.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Our shower room at work. Lynskey Cooper and Pashley Dutch bike with shiny Brooks.

[/url][/img]

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

That’s better.

[/url][/img]

Mine’s on the left (Chorus carbon 11 speed, so a bit bling i suppose). 🙂

The bell on the Pashley is so big it looks like part of the shower!

juiced
    Free Member

£150 rigid gt aggressor – although I only now really commute to the shopping centre etc.Still use loads of locks though.

BillMC

I commute on either a Maverick ML7 or a Felt singlespeed.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Anyone commute on an expensive bike?’ is closed to new replies.