Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Anyone buying a carbon 456 for £400?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Think I'll wait for the wippet though. If anyones selling a 18" steel 456 I'd be interested though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Just because the frame's called a 456, it doesn't necessarily follow that it's a direct copy,

No, but it is a carbon copy.

theflatboy
    Free Member

chakaping – Member

Just because the frame's called a 456, it doesn't necessarily follow that it's a direct copy,

No, but it is a carbon copy.

going by the ungainly lines on it, more like a blind carbon copy 🙂

BillOddie

😆

…oh wait. You're serious?

What's the view like from the mid 1990s?

So if you bought one and crashed it and damaged the weave you would continue to ride it?
    I wonder what the weave thickness is like on these 3.3lb frames…

Does £400 buy you state-of-the-art carbon material tech and manufacturing techniques?

Even aside from crashing looking at the powder coat on the bottom part of the downtube my old Prince Albert (similar bike), it's been gouged and deeply scratched by flying rocks. I wonder what would have happened if it had been carbon. Trek use armour in this area on their Remedy frames, do On-one?

wwaswas

Trek use armour in this area on their Remedy frames, do On-one?

yep;

"the production frame will have a carbon/Kevlar mixture on the down tube and chainstays"

bikeradar

poppa
    Free Member

If anyones selling a 18" steel 456 I'd be interested though

I think On-One have a few for sale. 😆

benz
    Free Member

I'm pretty tempted…however….apart from being new and shiny and not actually having a carbon framed bike, I'm struggling to see real justification.

What would you build it up with? Big forks, big brakes, carbon everything else?

In fact, for those who may or may not be considering what would you build it up for and using what components?

nickc

In fact, for those who may or may not be considering what would you build it up for and using what components?

I've got a Chameleon, built for all day stuff XT, 140mm Thors, 819rims if I can get that, but lighter for the same price as a Cham frame…Interesting, no?

pjt201
    Free Member

i'm more interested in the whippet, but the press fit bb and direct mout front mech kind of put me off.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Why? Press fit isn't a problem with headsets and direct mount has been around for years too. What's not to like?

hora
    Free Member

If anyones selling a 18" steel 456 I'd be interested though

They arent exactly expensive are they?!! 😆

D0NK

direct mount has been around for years too

Yep I had one on a Kirk Revolution circa 1993, front mech worked fine.
    Liking the look of 7 and 9, very tempted but still unsure whether I'd get an 18" for playing or a 20" for mile munching/all round.

I'm 6'2", I've got a 20" inbred which is nice but my current play bike (kinesis xc120) is closer to an 18" 456….hmmm.

JonR
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Think I'll wait for the wippet though. If anyones selling a 18" steel 456 I'd be interested though.

stevemorg2 was selling a red 18" one last week.

pjt201
    Free Member

against press fit as it means buying more things – new bb at least, if not new cranks as my fifteen g chainset won't fit.

MrAgreeable

my fifteen g chainset won't fit.

That'll teach you to grab your crotch in front of a room full of strangers.

TheFlyingOx

So if you bought one and crashed it and damaged the weave you would continue to ride it?

I'd be more likely to be thanking my lucky stars that I crashed hard enough to wreck a carbon frame and was still able to think about riding again. They're harder than you think.

pjt201
    Free Member

they weren't all strangers. they were all quite strange though.

br
    Free Member

TBH I'd buy one for the same reason I bought a 456Ti, same performance as a steel 456, but almost a 2 pounds lighter – and half the price.

And if you see me Titanium frame, bugger post…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

br – how is the Ti 456? Gets rave reviews but I think it's a bit OTT for me – I have a 22ish lbs Stumpy HT (alu but spent plenty lightening it) and love whippety light kit but there doesn't seem to be much available that's similar. I'd always get ti over carbon.

I spent three years doing Materials Engineering and believe me, ti is far more suited to MTB frames than carbon. Doesn't mean I don't have a silly number of carbon bits on the bike though – nice to have principles then throw them all away when the bling monkey taps you on the shoulder.

br
    Free Member

The 456Ti is an absolute top bike, 24lbs with a 140mm fork.

One of the reasons I crashed it is the confidence it gives you and how it picks up speed so quick.

But as said, take a look at the other post…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

br – sounded like the sort of crash I'm unlikely to have. Fast uphill, a bit of a wuss downhill!

I guess Litespeed and similar are alternative options?

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

anyone know what decal/finish option will be on the early bird £400 deal?

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

does anyone know when Ti456 is due and the pricing?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Small and Large sold out now…..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dunno, I spent my masters year abusing carbon kit in the name of science and engineering.

Carbon composites are very low density relative to metal. Where even a hardcore a steel frame is 0.9 mm thick in the middle of the down tube, carbon composites will still be several mm thick. And by their very nature more resiliant to scrapes and cuts than metal, if you cut the top layer of fibers it only weakens that layer in the local area (and transfers more stress/strain on the layer beneath). If you put the same scratch in steel it focuses the stress arround its edges making it more likely to fail.

As an example, we took some RF next XC flat carbon handlebars, after failing to destroy them on the test rig (we ran out of weights) we smacked the shit out of them untill they were creaking and covered in cracks to the resin and tested them again. Ok they failed, but it was still the equivalent of a big bloke standing on one end of the bars.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Anyone buying a carbon 456 for £400?’ is closed to new replies.