Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone built or renovated an arcade (MAME) cabinet?
  • pedalhead
    Free Member

For quite some time I’ve been toying with the idea of building or renovating an arcade cabinet for MAME use. Anyone done it & can offer any tips? Cheers!

Markie
    Free Member

FWIW, I bought some arcade 2 and 3 player start buttons for PC modding purposes two years ago and got great service from Gremlin Solutions. They helped me mod the parts I ordered to fit the chassis I had and were just all around nice.

The site’s perhaps not the easiest to navigate, but they do cabinet kits and parts and allsorts.

HTH… one day one of their cocktail tables might be a nice project! 🙂

pedalhead
    Free Member

Thanks :). Will check that lot out when I get back from the kiddies halloween party…

Markie
    Free Member

It’d be great to hear how you get on!

I thought when I bought the buttons that a full machine would be a nice project to have – I can well remember in the late eighties going round to a friend’s house where his dad had a couple of old machines… good times!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Hi, yeah I’ve built one. My friend wanted one so I built the MDF cabinet and screen printed the sides (I was a print student at the time so had access to the equipment) didn’t know much about the pc side if it though. I added cabinet wheels and got sone vinyal offcuts from a local graphics company to add some panache to the case. I added glass but ditched it for done reflection free glass. My mate got the buttons off eBay and a joystick too, autehntic aracde looking ones. I then cut out of the top a section and printed graphics onto clear acetate using my inkjet printer at home (doubled up so the light first make them too pale) I put a kitchen cabinet light behind and it really looked smart. Makes me want to build another cabinet.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Sorry for spelling mistakes… IPhone

Surfr
    Free Member

I converted an old JAMMA Mortal Kombat 2 cab with Linux MAME using a JPac and a custom ATX card.

I’d love to have one still but I don’t think the wife would be keen. It’s a lot easier if you’ve got a basement or are single 😉

Friends of mine have/had cabs too. some DOS, some windows some Linux. There weren’t many linux varients out there when I did mine, though that may have changed by now.

I’d quite like a cocktail MAME cab but the’r kind of limited for some games.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone built or renovated an arcade (MAME) cabinet?’ is closed to new replies.