Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anyone bought engineered flooring from t'internet?
  • Leon
    Free Member

Any recommendations, gotchas, etc? Been let down by a firm who were going to supply and fit, so now have a carpenter who will fit, but I need to supply.

Was going to have 20mm, with the top 6mm being oak, so guess looking for something similar…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I haven’t see any online-only sellers that I’d recommend but here are a few key points to look at when you’re thinking, “bloody hell, that’s a good price…”

All online sellers will sell pre-packed flooring, so you’ll rarely get anything longer than 2.2m – and often that’ll be 2 x 2200mm planks top and bottom and 2 layers of 800/1400 or 600/1600 in between. That’s a lot of short planks that have to go somewhere, so look at the spec closely. Every seller will include the board spec – but often people don’t look beyond the picture.

Look for microbevels. Pretty much, all engineered flooring is microbevelled. Are they microbevelled at the ends as well? Poorer quality flooring is always microbevelled at the ends to hide any height differences at end joints. If you have a combination of lists of shorter lengths, and lots of bevelled end-joins, you’ll end up with a very busy looking floor.

If you find anything you like online, post a link here and I’ll tell you what I think.

jkomo

Just something to consider, we’ve just had our solid oak floor sanded a second time in fifteen years, I recon we’ve got another two sandings in it.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

We’ve used these two in the past couple of years:
    http://www.directwoodflooring.co.uk/
    http://www.ukflooringdirect.co.uk/

Got a bunch of samples first then ordered a larger amount. No problems with either company – would use again.

Leon
    Free Member

Thanks all. I’ll do a bit of hunting and come back here. Good point about the plank lengths, but it’s not a large room, so maybe not too bad.

Regarding the solid oak…a house I moved I to once had a solid floor, but it always creaked. I thought one of the benefits of engineered was the stability, and with a 6mm top layer, you should be able to get 1 or 2 standings out of it.

choppersquad
    Free Member

We used UK flooring direct and were very happy with the quality.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anyone bought engineered flooring from t'internet?’ is closed to new replies.