Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • anyone bought a Garmin Edge 200 and wished they had got a 500 ?
  • iainc

I’m wanting a new computer and dithering between these 2. I’m not fussed about downloading stats etc so thinking that the basis 200 might do the job. Only real downside I can see is the lack of cadence, but dunno how useful that is…

I have a polar HRM and watch that I can wear if wanting to look at that.

thanks

mrchrispy

I’d plumb for the 500.
    go on…you know you want too

Jamie
    Free Member

Why get the 500, when you can get the 800? 😉

For a feature comparison between the 200 and 500, have a look here:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=160&compareProduct=36728&compareProduct=90675

iainc

useful comparison chart thanks. I don’t need mapping, hence 500 or 200 rather than 800. The 200 is a fair bit cheaper, hence the query (£115 for 200, £190 for 500 with cadence and hrm)

pete68
    Free Member

Got a 200 for christmas.Have now bought a 500 off the classifieds.Answers your question i think.To be fair the 200 is good but lacks the ability to adjust the display so you can’t see as much info as i wanted (current time being the biggest problem for me).

cnud
    Free Member

I like my 200 for its simplicity. Not interested in time of day on my ride screen although you can see it with a button press anyway. Had most versions of the Edge now and wouldn’t recommend a 500 as they are buggy as hell and the cadence sensor is notoriously unreliable on all versions.

iainc

pete68 – what you doing with your 200 ? 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

Bought the 500 just before Christmas for £155, I have to say I’m very happy with it and I find the candence function very useful but I do a lot of road riding.

iainc

Gary – I missed them when they were well discounted but tbh I hadn’t bought a new road bike then either 😆

I do have a Cateye Strada wireless on the Jake, but wanting something for the new one and not wanting to strap an ugly black sensor onto a white carbon fork !

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Have you looked at the Bryton Rider 50?

Review Rider50

I have one and think its great!

iainc

thanks for that link – I did have a look at the Bryton and it does indeed look good. I kinda like the simplicity of the Garmins right enough

thorpie
    Free Member

Have a 200, it’s beauty is its simplicity!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

iainc – Member
    pete68 – what you doing with your 200 ?

I have already asked, no reply so far. 🙂

pete68
    Free Member

Don’t know what i’m doing with the 200 yet,but keep a lookout on the classifieds!If you don’t need to keep up with the current time then the 200 is very good. However,i do quite a few 12/24 solos and trailquests through the year and feel that being able to see the time clearly is crucial.As has been said you can go back to the menu page to see the clock but its very small and difficult to see.Also when racing i don’t want to have to keep pressing buttons.

iainc

thanks Pete – I posted a ‘wanted’ and am speaking with someone about a nearly new 200 at the moment, so I may or may not still be looking….

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Will keep an eye out, im not in a hurry.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Edge 200 is under a hundred ar ribble

Jamie
    Free Member

Is also £105 at Wiggle using code 10-OFF.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

La la la im not listening thats its under £100.

simon_g

I’d buy the 200, but then I don’t need a HRM, cadence or the ability to link to fancy power meters.

ratherbeintobago

Whether you’re going to use the ANT+ stuff is really the crux. I had a 205; wanted HR support so bought a 500, which I’m very happy with. Received wisdom suggests that power meters (which are all shockingly expensive) and cadence (which won’t fit on my MTB due to chainstay shape) aren’t much use off road anyway.

Does the 200 not let you download data to Garmin Connect/Ascent/whatever?

Andy

iainc

200 can download data to garmin connect etc, but not link into ANT+ or HRM. I am in same camp as simon_g – probs just as well as my dear wife announced last night that she has bought me a 200 for my Birthday ! 🙂

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Do you get just one fitting to attach to the bike in the box?

iainc

steve – comes with 2 mounts. I think the best deal at the moment is this one :

here

ajantom

As an aside – just opened a late xmas pressie from my sister (she lives in France, so it came back via parent-mail!) a Garmin Edge 705.
    Thanks sis 😀 Apparently she wangled it out of her sponsors for me 😆

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Cheers, i have just ordered one from my LBS

Nothing like as cheap but gave me £15 off, and would rather give him the business.

At least i dont have to buy a second mount.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘anyone bought a Garmin Edge 200 and wished they had got a 500 ?’ is closed to new replies.