Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone bother with water pipe/supply insurance?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Been ‘offered’ insurance cover from the water company to cover the supply line between the meter (under a pavement) & the house, a distance of about 20mtrs. If it bursts/goes wonky etc I won’t have to pay a fortune to have it sorted. Sounds expensive at £15 a month.
    Any point?

(I realise there IS a point in insuring stuff but…….)

What’s the consensus? Anyone bother?

stumpyjon

If you’re that worried, put £15 a month in a biscuit tin, no I really wouldn’t bother unless you think the front lawn is about to become a pond.

nickjb
    Free Member

I certainly wouldn’t bother. Might even be covered by house insurance. Won’t take long for £15 a month to become a tidy sum

spooky_b329

What are the chances of having a problem within the next 10 years? Slim?

That’s £1800 in premiums…bet they could dig a good hole for that…

rob2
    Free Member

I’d check the water company policy. Many do a first repair for free anyway.

Supply pipe fixes can be expensive depending on your house (e.g. Might need a drive to be dug up).

dorsetknob
    Free Member

If a leak occurs in the footway it’s the water company’s responsibility, must companies will do leaks up to the point of entry on your property. Have a look on their website to see. If you had a leak in grass it’s normally pretty clear where to see where to dig if it’s under tarmac/concrete a trained ear and a listening stick can be fairly accurate. Have a chat to neighbors if there house was built at the same time about any history of leaks. Black poly was always prone to leaks. But £15 per month very dear. When I was in the trade often done jobs for a few beers if it was dug out.

Phil_H

I wouldn’t bother with it.
    Check with your water company, as rob2 sayssome will fix a leak on your pipework for free anyway.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Cheers chaps, I won’t bother. 😀

big_n_daft
    Free Member

It is nearly a con, designed to prey on old people

Very profitable for both the water company and the service provider

£15 p.a. then maybe, £15 a month they are taking the mickey

footflaps

Yep. Anything major is covered by house insurance.

Murray

Wouldn’t work on my dad. He’s given up on house insurance completely on the grounds he’s bound to be dead in 10 years anyway (he’s late 80s).

It has worked on my mum but I think over the years she’s got her value out of insurance e.g. calling out British Gas to check her boiler, fault found thermostat set to 15C.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Thanks again, I was expecting some horror stories!

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

allow me…

On Monday, I came up with the perfect plan. No one even knew we were friends.On Tuesday, he stole the gun from his dad.On Wednesday, we decided to make our move during the following day’s pep rally.On Thursday, while the entire school was in the gym, we waited just outside the doors. I was to use the gun on whoever walked out first. Then he would take the gun and go into the gym blasting.I walked up to Mr. Quinn the guidance counselor and shot him in the face three times. He fell back into the gym, dead. The shots were deafening. We heard screams in the auditorium.No one could see us yet. I handed him the gun and whispered, “your turn.” He ran into the gym and started firing. I followed a moment after.He hadn’t hit anyone yet. Kids were scrambling and hiding. It was mayhem.I ran up behind him and tackled him. We struggled. I wrenched the gun out of his hands, turned it on him, and killed him. I closed his mouth forever.On Friday, I was anointed a hero.It was indeed the perfect plan.

the perfect plan by huntfrog

Sidney
    Free Member

I did – but only because when I called up water co to inform of change of address they offered it to me for something like 80p a month. Yes, that’s pence!

Reverts to it’s normal price after a year which is £10-15/month. That’s when I’ll be cancelling, if I remember!

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Ours used to be copper just buried with no protection, sprung leaks on a regular basis, eventually me and my dad replaced it with mdpe, 25m x 750mm deep trench dug out by hand, took a day,easy peasy.

prettygreenparrot

Depends on your risk profile. I put these generous invitations straight into the recycling bin. Check your home insurance if you think it’s a real risk. Though I favour the idea of putting the money aside. Though a biscuit tin means that you’ll lose about 3%/year on its value due to inflation.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

We have some with homeserve at 50p pcm for the first year. Been used. next door neighbor had a bill for 800 to sort out for similar work.

The ball ache for us is the pipes are beyond life span, and need replacing but as they are shared supply, nearly impossible to arrange as no one is interested unless the leak is theirs and of course that doesn’t coincide.

We’ll be getting taken off the shared supply in due course.

I’d suggest considering it if your house is on a shared supply and your house is 40+ years old. Own supply or newer house i wouldn’t bother. (Edit – though not at £15pcm)

First repair every 24months is usually free, but that’s per main connection so 1 per shared supply.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone bother with water pipe/supply insurance?’ is closed to new replies.